***Leathernecks rail ***

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
david58

Post by david58 »

bajaherbie wrote:ditch the paint idea and go with some vinyl graphics, it will hold up better to scratches than spray paint......
Scotts Bright it.............................FIRST :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
WisdomRacing

Post by WisdomRacing »

Oooh so THIS is what the spindles are for. Build looks REALLY clean! I'll try and get the spindles out for you tomorrow :D
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

So I am going through the checklist , jack the buggy up to check out the front knowing I am good cause I just put new King and link pins bushings in my STOCK but beefed up spindles. So it is jacked up and I shake drivers side, GTG shake passanger side and it wobbles, side to side and it is not the adjustment either, King pin is shot already :twisted: So off comes the spindles so I can go ahead and put on the Foddrills from WisdomRacing. Good and bad news dammit, all I wanted was good news. Sorry for the bright pic.

I am going through the list and I highly recommend it for several reasons one you have to actually check something vice, looking at it, unless of course you fudge everything anyway. But in doing the checklist found several other items that needed my attention as well. Good check list http://www.shoptalkforums.net/viewtopic ... highlight= Thanks 57Baja for starting it.
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

Leatherneck wrote:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:The material you used for the body, can it be painted?
Did a small test.

Plastic paint , Cheap paint, Vehicle dupli-color paint and sticker

This was after 30 minutes nothing stuck

Will check again tomorrow and see if full cure is any better.
So, what was the final results? Are all the votes counted? How did the starting line of the Dallas Cowboys vote? ;)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

No, everybody scratched off. Cleaned then sanded then primed then painted. week later still scratches off. :? This is some good stuff :D
pafree

Post by pafree »

maybe. duplicolor make a adhesion promoter. promoter, paint then clear coat.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

That is the deal this is all rattle can stuff, have not tried any high dollar products. Will find something over time.
pafree

Post by pafree »

maybe. vinyl auto graphics. http://www.vinylgraphics.net/ i could see something like this on your car. http://www.vinylgraphics.net/shopexd.asp?id=1086
CopperBaja

Post by CopperBaja »

That's an expensive steeker!!! :shock:
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
david58

Post by david58 »

CopperBaja wrote:Image

That's an expensive steeker!!! :shock:
But it is a purdy expensive steeker. :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

So I take the cv's off today and check for clocking, not clocked. Then I not reading thoroughly I put wide with wide on the oposite CV's pretty damn proud of myself call up Hedrock we are talking about them and he says uh, don't think you did it right so at first I have to defend my stupidity and go get the sheet to read directions again. So I ended up taking both axles back off and aligning them with wide to narrow, CV to CV . :roll: Well at least now I can check it off my list.

Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Leatherneck wrote:So I take the cv's off today and check for clocking, not clocked. Then I not reading thoroughly I put wide with wide on the oposite CV's pretty damn proud of myself call up Hedrock we are talking about them and he says uh, don't think you did it right so at first I have to defend my stupidity and go get the sheet to read directions again. So I ended up taking both axles back off and aligning them with wide to narrow, CV to CV . :roll: Well at least now I can check it off my list.

:lol:
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Leatherneck wrote:So I take the cv's off today and check for clocking, not clocked. Then I not reading thoroughly I put wide with wide on the oposite CV's pretty damn proud of myself call up Hedrock we are talking about them and he says uh, don't think you did it right so at first I have to defend my stupidity and go get the sheet to read directions again. So I ended up taking both axles back off and aligning them with wide to narrow, CV to CV .
OK, wasn't aware I needed to clock my CVs. I have all 930 goodies and had just planned on assembling with plenty of lube and running it. So, these "constant velocity" joints need clocking like U-joints too? And from what I gather here, line up narrow gap with wide gap across the shaft is correct? Mine didn't come with instructions :? .

What would I do without you guys?

Karl
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

This learning stuff, man I thought I was done with that in school :? But you have it right narrow to wide in the CV's and narrow to wide across the axle. They say clocking is not really important unless you are pushing the angle but if there is a better/right way of doing it why not go ahead and take that road? Also make sure you have the CV facing the correct way on the axle as well.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Very interesting. I can see how working the CVs at extreme angles without correct clocking could cause some shudder/vibration/wear....bad stuff.

I'll have to spend some time playing with my joints :shock:

Karl