Turbo type4 fastback:)

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

One day...
People will listen...... How many failures does it take for people to get the point??

Amazing.......

There is no failure worse than a flat cam, I have my share of those experiences, but those 18 months of development were worth the time and expense.

I feel your pain as well.....

I'd like to know what cam blank Web used to grind this cam, if it was integral the problem has been discovered... EVERY one of those I tested failed in less than 3 hours in the spin device.

Web's QC has slipped a bit in the past year and I have moved the majority of my cam grinding in house, only using Web for the 11 grinds of theirs that are "theirs"....
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

jonas i suggest you stop wasting time and buy a cam and lifter set from jake.
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

I think you´re right there Passatman, I just need to save some money first..
Svwerker

Post by Svwerker »

Frallan wrote:Svwerker, you are on very dangerous grounds with your statement, even if you have a smile....:)
This is not just a website thread, it is as close to religion as you can get.
Be very careful....I know you well from all the Vdubs videos but I am not sure you know me too well by face?
One day we will meet at a VW event, will be fun to discuss TIV versus T1, right:) I will keep my smile.
I know, religion is like childsplay compered. :lol: We have met at JPM's Dynoday, Frallan, and I will also keep my smile!
I know Jonas to well not to comment this, his a funny man. No hard feelings, right?

I feel bad for every engine that fail. There is no joke about that!
fastback

Post by fastback »

BAd news....
I asume u checked the cam/lifter geometri to avoid the cam riding on the edge of the lifters??
interresting because:
Yesterday i torn apart a Type 4 that a friend of mine had just bought .
with only 1000km on it. using a cam that was stated "~301" total duration.
It had a "14" stamped were the camgear sit's.

When looking at the cam. there was only intake that was worn
it had a much more lift than the exhaust that was more or less the org shape.
there is only the area where two of the 4 lifters make contacton the sam lobe that was worn down.
What could be the possible cause of this??
could it be tolerance differences in the location of the liftebores on each crankhalves that makes the lifters not getting the same geometry?
If so you'd have to check each and every lifter/cam lobe for it's geometry?

it looked like this.

jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Damn Fastback, thats the flattest cam i have ever seen :shock:

Svwerker, you know there´s no hard feelings:) Looking forwart to meet you guys again:)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

XXX can snuff shots. Ugh.

I wonder if the cam edges were originally sharp or properly relieved... The sharp corners like to break off, they are very brittle, and very, very hard.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

jonas n wrote:I think you´re right there Passatman, I just need to save some money first..
Jake now has a new system for selling his cams. You get the whole valve train assembly in the kit. Jonas need to see this car back on the road.
func412

Post by func412 »

fastback wrote:Yesterday i torn apart a Type 4 that a friend of mine had just bought .When looking at the cam. there was only intake that was worn, it had a much more lift than the exhaust that was more or less the org shape. there is only the area where two of the 4 lifters make contacton the sam lobe that was worn down.
Looks bad!

Just guessing...
Were the original pushrods used? I can just guess, but there is a possibility that the pushrod wasn´t installed right. I´ve installed twice the original pushrod incorrectly: the tip of the pushrod didn´t reach the bottom of the lifter cup because the wall of the pushrod contacted the lifter cup edge. Because of that the valve clearance might have got loose when running the engine (the pushrod tip reached the bottom of the lifter cup in use) and caused that failure. If the valve clearance is that loose, it might beat that lifter and break it.
Blitzkrieg_Beetle

Post by Blitzkrieg_Beetle »

Hey jonas n

I really like your Fastback, I have two at home, both of which are not running...

Do you have any updates for us? My Fastback will also be running a Type 4 engine :wink:
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

No major updates right now, but i hope i get the projekt going again later this spring..
bo

Post by bo »

ok its summer where you at? :?:
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

bo wrote:ok its summer where you at? :?:
Hey stranger, we could say the same about you! :lol:

How's it going?
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
bo

Post by bo »

DOING ALRIGHT THE BUG IS ALL STRIPPED DOWN TO NOTHING MY MOTOR IS NEEDING HEADS AND THE CAR SHOULD BE PRIMED SOON
fastback

Post by fastback »

jonas n wrote:Yep! the 2:nd gear is now the first:) I´ll take some pics someday to explain why i had to modify the slider..
Hi jonas
Do u hve pic's of the finished modified slider?
I'm just in the startphase of making the same!! :)