RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
LIME

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by LIME »

OK, was laying under my car today, and came up witha pretty neat idea...RAM AIR FAN SHOURD.... I'll have to think about it a bit longer...BUT..heres what I am thinking.

On a stock fan shroud ( type 1 ) the fan is ( obviously ) in the back...why not cut a sectiong out of the luggage compartment, and replace it with a box, open on the bottom, the other end going into the fan shroud opening....so it would draw air from under the car through a tunnel of sorts...that way the engine would always be sucking in cool air to cool its self...

anther Idea i've been toying with is ram air for the carbs...using fabricated aluminum boxes over each carb, and running "flex hose" ( like you can buy to run from heat boxes to shroud ) up to Empi GTV style side scoops...think that may work ?

Hell, think either would work ?

-=LIME=-
Michael Ghia

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by Michael Ghia »

Lime,
Nice idea and one that I have also looked at but... you are trying to put 'dirty' air into the engine, i.e. you would get the warm/hot air from the gearbox (it does get hot!) and there is very little flow down there. If you can somehow run a couple of tubes from the front of the car to the back then it would work. I looked at fitting a radiator where the firewall is and ducting air up from underneath but came up against the afformentioned problems. I want to watercool the cylinder heads.
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
Mikes72sb

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by Mikes72sb »

I was also toying with the idea of Ram Air for dual carbs in the same fashion, but decided against it for a few reasons: 1)Possibility of having to change jets (2)will I go fast enough often enough to make it worth while (3) I dont want to cut holes in my brand new paint and bodywork. I figure the best place for the intake are the little side scoop/half moon air thingys behind the rear quarter windows. Kinda like the GTV scoops. That way you get clean, cool air fron the sides of the car.

------------------
\X/ Mike \X/
trevor_brady

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by trevor_brady »

Hi Mike and everyone. Another point that should be made is that carbs like to draw their air from a stationary source. That's why GWD, Remmelle, JMR etc are using/manufacturing airboxes. They also help to keep induction roar down...

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/trevorbrady
CPRcubed

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by CPRcubed »

Gotta worry about water ingestion also (as well as other foreign objects)! Cheers!

------------------
1970 Bug (stock & rusted for now), 1994 F350 CC DRW PSD, 1971 Airstream. Life is good in Bear Valley Springs!
danimal

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by danimal »

>>>RAM AIR FAN SHOURD<<<<

lime, that is an xlnt idea that has been proven to work... if you go to callookforum.com, there is an article on it, whereby the author pulls cool air in from beside the tranny.

the other thing to do is to use the late-model type 1 fuel-injected fan shroud, the one with the ring in the intake.

>>>anther Idea i've been toying with is ram air for the carbs<<<

that is a problem for street use, because it can be very difficult to properly tune carbs for drastic, fast changes in intake air pressure... i'd think that fuel injection would work better for this.

dan
oceanstreetvideo.com
ravenshurst

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by ravenshurst »

just the other day a boxster wnt by on the road, and I said to myself "self...boxster air ducts in the rear quater panels of a bug!"
74Super

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by 74Super »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ravenshurst:
just the other day a boxster wnt by on the road, and I said to myself "self...boxster air ducts in the rear quater panels of a bug!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's like you were reading my mind! I was just thinking the same thing last night...I was eating outside at this little resturant when a Boxster drove by, and I thought "Hmmmm? Interesting vents."

Doug

------------------
**Don't forget to remove "spam" to send me mail**
Alexander

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by Alexander »

Remmele sells those vents in carbon or normal fibre. The air is routed thru hoses into the engine bay.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alexander (edited 06-27-2001).]
PapaG

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by PapaG »

Very cool... Alex did you get setup to handle their line of parts yet?
Alexander

RAM AIR to FAN SHROUD ?

Post by Alexander »

I am just helping people that want to order from Remmele. As of now there is no body in the States for his parts but it is in the works.

I have a price list of Remmele and help everyone that wants to order from him directly. I am just a contact for him.

The pair of air scoops in epoxy is about 200$. It comes with the glue and a stencil to make the right cuts.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alexander (edited 06-27-2001).]
honegod

Post by honegod »

what is the status of these scoops ??

anybody have pics of installations ???
VW_Factor

Post by VW_Factor »

*Holy Thread resurection*

Sorry, just been browsing stuff I havent for a while.

About Ram Air for dual carbs.. - I was thinking more of just a cold air intake type arrangement. Not nessesarily ram air (with sealing and such)..

But, top front of the rear fenders, about the height of the carbs on the engine. What if the hole was there (with screening or whatever) and inside the fender is the ducting, etc, and on the inside of the engine bay would be where the cool air comes in. Just a quick scoop through the top of the fender (may not work on extremely lowered bugs) through it, and into the engine bay. If not sealed around the carb, it could be a way to introduce more cold air for the cooling fan as well.

Perhaps someone could come up with a 'glass fender for such a use, just cut the proper holes in the sides of the engine bay.

Thoughts?
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

If you want to see Boxter vents on a bug, go to airkwld.com
He's using it for intercooling his WRX motor.

http://www.airkewld.com/project/thumbnails.php?album=31