Master cylinder

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
Dew

Master cylinder

Post by Dew »

I just bought a new one last week but the one I just removed is different. I am wondering if I should try to make it work or take it back and get a new one. It has one extra hole for a brake line that would have to be plugged and the mounting holes are at a different angle. I'm thinking that super beetles must use a different master cylinder than a standard beetle for some reason. If I take it back I'm sure I will have to wait another week maybe longer to get the right one. Meanwhile the car is in the garage on jackstands :( .
david58

Post by david58 »

Nice looking car you really should put the right part on it unless it is the old type master cylinder.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Speedy Jim

Post by Speedy Jim »

Yes, Supers are at a different angle and the porting is different.
More important, Supers used different frt wheel cyls and the
Master Cylinder strokes (frt/rear) are different from Standard Beetle units.

You didn't note the year of your car but I'm assuming it's a late Dual Circuit model.

Order P/N 113-611-015-BD
Dew

Post by Dew »

I was afraid you guys would say that. Maybe I should try Autozone and see what they can come up with.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Speedy Jim wrote:...You didn't note the year of your car but I'm assuming it's a late Dual Circuit model.
Order P/N 113-611-015-BD
It's a `74 SUPER, which requires the 113 611 015BH master cylinder. From the sounds of things, what he has now is the BD.

No way to interchange them (either way) - sorry Dew, but the car's down until you get the right part.
Dew

Post by Dew »

Autozone hooked me up. It's coming in today only 64 bucks. OUCH !!!! :shock:
Dew

Post by Dew »

I got it in finally and bled the brakes yesterday everything works great. It was kind of a pain doin it by myself. I could have used an extra pair of hands to get the bolts started but somehow I managed.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Dew wrote:Autozone hooked me up. It's coming in today only 64 bucks. OUCH !!!! :shock:
What brand is it? TRW Brazil is the most common, worth $40 or so plus shipping...If my wholesaler wasn't out-of-stock on them right now I would've offered to sell you one :(
If you got a German Ate or FAG for $60 you made out like a bandit, they're easily worth ~$100.
At the other end of the spectrum you can get "Brand-X" (KMM, which I believe is Chinese TRW) for under $25. Haven't tried them yet, can't offer an opinion on their quality.

Hopefully AutoZone at least had the Brazilian TRW, which aren't bad for the price and $64 isn't outrageous, 'specially since you were in a hurry.

You didn't withdraw the mounting bolts all the way, did you? If you do that there's a strong chance that their spacer tubes will fall out of place. So long as the bolts cinched down snugly without it feeling like you were slowly crushing something as you tightened them, all is well.
Dew

Post by Dew »

I did remove the bolts but they had enough rust on them to stay in place so I got lucky. The unit that I got from Autozone is a Fenco not sure who makes that but it says made in USA. The one I got from Appletree automotive is a Brazillian TRW and it was 34.95.