Another Type 4 Turbo Thread

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
joe leroux

Post by joe leroux »

Hey Sandeep I have a mint video of you a the vw show in ajax when you whent for a ride down the road what a mint car you have I will try and post it for you :D I am curently doing a type 4 conversion in my bug too I will be at the dyno pull next year also.
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Thanks Joe !

Can you burn a CD with the DV video and mail it to me ? I will pay all of your costs. You can PM me your email address and we can chat.

I can answer any questions you have on the T4 conversion as well.

Sandeep
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Piledriver wrote:RE: 228mm sintered iron discs (AKA Black Magic)

I'm very very tempted, but I had something in the 5.5" size in mind... :twisted:

I'm still trying to track down a 411 automatic to play with. I have weird ideas...

Marco, how much power have you run with the WBX rods? (assuming good bolts)

Considering using them on a 71 stroke crank/T4 turbo motor.

Tried PMing you.
Let me know if you end up needing a flexplate for that automatic.

:-)

don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

dstar5000 wrote:
Piledriver wrote:RE: 228mm sintered iron discs (AKA Black Magic)

I'm very very tempted, but I had something in the 5.5" size in mind... :twisted:

I'm still trying to track down a 411 automatic to play with. I have weird ideas...

Marco, how much power have you run with the WBX rods? (assuming good bolts)

Considering using them on a 71 stroke crank/T4 turbo motor.

Tried PMing you.
Let me know if you end up needing a flexplate for that automatic.

:-)

don
The weird idea involved a clutch :twisted:

clutchflite etc...

We all know of a VW transaxle that will take 300++HP without a whimper...

Only downside is that it has a torque converter on it.

The 3 speed part is a non-issue with a turbo, possibly even a feature.

For actual drag racing, a full on R2D2 might be more consistent, but I think a bullet proof 3 speed w/clutch might be nice on the street, vs a fully built 901 or SSC box. (Squareback, so the auto is a no brainer install)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

joe leroux

Video

Post by joe leroux »

Hey there I finaly got the video on line I send you an email the other day not sure if you got it. what a mint carlooking forward to dyno day next year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCAOO_AYeg
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Sweet.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
joe leroux

Post by joe leroux »

what happend to Sanddeep haven't heard from him in a bit?????
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

joe leroux wrote:what happend to Sanddeep haven't heard from him in a bit?????
Working on the 2.4 , and still trying to blow up the 2.0 :twisted:
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Hey Joe,

I am still here, sorry I have not responded to your emails. The bug is parked for the winter and I have pulled the 2.0 and am taking it apart and noting measurements to compare to when the parts were fresh.

The 2.4 build has started with the case being currently prepped by RAT. The heads are going out to HAM for 44mm intake valves and a look over.

I noticed that I broke the top ring on #2 piston but thats about it so far. No damage to any cylinders and the pistons look really clean as well. Oil was changed after break in and still is golden brown ... no metal sparkles.

The pin on #1 piston was tough to get out but slipped in easily when I first installed it ... not sure why, might be bent a little but will check it out.

The cam still has the dry coating on the lobes in some places ! I can't really see any wear on cam but will confirm when I split the short block tonight. The ceramic lifters are still flawless.

If everything measures out, I'll put the short block back together and use it as my spare motor ... I'll need to get another turbo cam though :twisted:

The wasser 228mm FW/Kennedy Stage 2/6 puck solid clutch (Thanks Pile !) held up with no issues. I have no problems driving this setup on the street but it does shudder once in a while. The solution is not to ride the clutch but I am very satisfied with the combo.

More updates as they happen ....

Sandeep