Another Type IV MSII/EDIS install...

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
Rick_Eberle

Another Type IV MSII/EDIS install...

Post by Rick_Eberle »

I'm about a week away from firing up my rebuilt motor, with MSII, EDIS, an LC_1, and GSXR1000 throttle bodies. It's been an interesting process, that's for sure!

It's a new engine, too, so the first start will be a little scary. (1.7, light rods & valvetrain)

Here are some shots:

Last edited by Rick_Eberle on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonW

Post by RonW »

very sweet!!! got any pics of the mounting of your trigger wheel?
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
Rick_Eberle

Post by Rick_Eberle »

Here you go... I welded a plate to the fan hub, and bolted the trigger wheel to that. The plate is 2mm thick, so replaces the spacer. The VR sensor fits behind the fan housing under the oil cooler. I copied Dave Hunt, so he gets the credit for this arrangement!

Wally

Post by Wally »

Very clean build Rick!
Rick_Eberle wrote: The VR sensor fits behind the fan housing under the oil cooler.
I have trouble visualising this..do you maybe have a pic of the VR sensor mounting?
Tnx,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Rick_Eberle

Post by Rick_Eberle »

Here you go...

I enlarged the sensor mount holes to 6mm, and just drilled and tapped into the fan housing. I had to use a cople of washers to center the sensor over the trigger wheel teeth. Also,I had to grind a little off the bolt ends to clear the fan. It's a snug fit back there.

Wally

Post by Wally »

Excelent! very smartly made/positioned.
Thanks!
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Rick_Eberle

Post by Rick_Eberle »

It fired up last night!

The spark plug wiring in the pic above was reversed, so it's not quite as neat now... I think I'll switch the wire to the coil pack, though, and run as in the pic, so the wires dont cross each other.

I used the VE table generator in MegaTune, but had to more than double most numbers to get a reasonable idle.

The default Prime & Cranking pulses, etc, seemed OK, as it was firing on cranking, but wouldn't run at first.

With MegaTune, it's really easy to make quick adjustments to the tables, where needed. It was idling, and sounding happy on the throttle within about 15 minutes.

My timing light died, so I have yet to confirm the timing.
reddream1966

Post by reddream1966 »

Can you shared you configuration file or take some screen shots of your ms configuration?
I'm installing ms in a 78 westy, it start once but now I am on square one with the settings. I'm managing fuel only with the ms.
I bought the van a few a year ago , it was made turbo (5 psi) , It neves runs ok, Its stall and died, a few months ago it simply quit running, when I try to troubleshoot the efi, the harness was butchered beyond recognition. Thats why I look into megasquirt.
Any help will be appreciated, there is no specific info out there about late bus with ms
Rick_Eberle

Post by Rick_Eberle »

I'll post what I can, but at the moment I'm just working on getting a good idle, and consistent starts.

My engine has to come out again, because my main oil-seal is leaking like a sieve. I'll fix that before I get it out on the road to do some proper tuning.
panel

Post by panel »

Rick if you need some timing maps have a look at the few I've collected here............ http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=98618

Maybe post yours here when you're done or I'll do it for you.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
msoultan

Post by msoultan »

btw, I'm running msI/extra on my 78 westy - probably put about 50k on it so far and it works great. I just got the LC-1 wbo2 not too long ago and that's one of the best tuning tools ever.

Lately my biggest problems have been dealing with altitude. The current altitude compensation isn't very good and there's no more memory space left in the MSI/extra to add new variables. So, I just ordered a MSII with an extra MAP sensor for realtime baro and I'll work on contributing some code to deal with better altitude compensation. Hopefully I'll get that installed in the next month or two.

Rick,
I'm also looking to setup a toothed wheel like you did because I wanted to start running spark. Initially, my plan is to use the distributor, but eventually I wouldn't mind getting rid of it altogether and switching to the EDIS setup.

Could you let me know the details on the parts you used... i.e. sourcing of wheel and sensor and any other miscellaneous parts required for that mod...

Thanks!
Mike
brer

Post by brer »

hey rick,

Thats slick what you've got going.
:)

I recognized the sensor setup, but was wondering how you offset the TDC mark on the tooth wheel to match that location? Is that just where it "ends up" or do you select sensor position and match the wheel to it?

brer

The 914 Megasquirt Repository
http://www.esnips.com/web/914megasquirt
warp

Post by warp »

Brer> With MSII you can position the wheel/sensor as you please and just correct the offset in software instead. ...pretty sweet :-)
blue77bay

Post by blue77bay »

with edis and ms11 its easy ,,,position the vr sensor where you would like it ,,then position the chopper wheel on the fan in the correct position and your done,here is mine http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/ ... IM0876.jpg
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/ ... IM0874.jpg
and for exact instructions refer herehttp://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm :D :D :D
Rick_Eberle

Post by Rick_Eberle »

Yeah, what they said!

the missing tooth goes 90 degrees ahead of TDC, (or anywhere you like).

I mounted the sensor first, then mounted the wheel to suit. I ended up within 3 degrees, which is my trigger offset.
Could you let me know the details on the parts you used... i.e. sourcing of wheel and sensor and any other miscellaneous parts required for that mod...

Thanks!
Mike
I got the complete EDIS setup off EBay, for US$70.

I have a five day weekend, starting tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get the car off jacks and do a few tuning runs. I still have a bit of work to do, though...