Vote for a Welding and Metal Fabrication Forum

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.

Do you want to have a welding forum?

YES
93%
NO
7%

Total votes: 273

shopteacher

Post by shopteacher »

and the inexperienced do sooner WITH the forum
and isnt that the point of it all?
63busguy

RUST IS NOT WAITING FOR THE VOTE!!!!

Post by 63busguy »

Any suggestions on a good quality, inexpensive TIG? I know a little gas, wire feed and stick. Mainly farmer weld, not pretty but effective. I need to replace the rocker on my bus and wonder if I should buy a MIG or do I get a better weld from a TIG? Please hurry, she is turning to dust before my eyes!@@.!
bajaherbie

Post by bajaherbie »

i voted yes, seventeen times...

just kidding :wink:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
david58

Post by david58 »

bajaherbie wrote:i voted yes, seventeen times...

just kidding :wink:
That right there is a classic.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
DesertGuy

Re: RUST IS NOT WAITING FOR THE VOTE!!!!

Post by DesertGuy »

63busguy wrote:Any suggestions on a good quality, inexpensive TIG?
That one is in the eye (or pocketbook) of the beholder. I bought my TIG from a company that thought they would use it alot... turned out they never used it and wanted to sell it for another MIG. New it would have cost around 5,000-6,000 and I picked it up for 2,000... that was inexpensive. (don't forget the cost of consumables, gas lens, gas, etc... these things add up very fast)
63busguy wrote:I need to replace the rocker on my bus and wonder if I should buy a MIG or do I get a better weld from a TIG?
You would do fine with a decent MIG to weld simple steel sheet. Of course, a TIG will look "prettier", but you can get a sound weld very easily with a MIG on the sheet stock.
63busguy wrote:do I get a better weld from a TIG?
That's a tough one... the answer is yes and no, there are alot of variables that can play into that... In the end, no weld is any good if not done properly... it isn't brain surgery, but does need to be done correctly.

...And with any welding process: Clean, Clean, Clean and when in doubt, Clean some more :wink:
shopteacher

heliarc

Post by shopteacher »

any offroad use for a heliarc other than an aluminum fuel cell and some body bling? and for welding pop cans back together.. LOL

HELIARC-what is a good one to start with.. not cheapo but not top of the line... working with a school budget here

looking for a tubing notcher, metal band saw, lathe, and a couple other goodies to go with our plasma cutter, wire feed, and oxy/acet setup. we do have a harbour freight vertical mill.. works really well as a good drill press
takotruckin

Re: heliarc

Post by takotruckin »

shopteacher wrote: HELIARC-what is a good one to start with.. not cheapo but not top of the line... working with a school budget here
find someone willing to sell you a good used one for cheap. i found a big 300 amp machine for $800, but i had just payed for my tranny and couldnt afford it :x
63busguy

IT ALL STARTS HERE

Post by 63busguy »

does an entry level TIG exsist? My arc was 200, the Lincon 100 cost 250, I was hoping for a 5-600 dollar budget TIG. Should I just save the cash to around 2K for a "decent" machine?
DesertGuy

Re: IT ALL STARTS HERE

Post by DesertGuy »

63busguy wrote:does an entry level TIG exsist?
Inexpensive TIG machines are a dime a dozen. However, once you start venturing into water cooled torches and foot control, etc... prices start to escalate.

IMHO, if you are contemplating a TIG, shop around and get a good one. You will be surprised that once the word gets out that you have one, alot of your "friends" somehow end up "needing" things TIG welded :lol:
david58

Post by david58 »

We sure have a lot of lurkers checking this sticky out 2026 veiws and 112 votes that like 18% voted.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
terry cloyd

Post by terry cloyd »

David I need someone who can weld. I have about 2000 feet of welding. Please PM me
david58

Post by david58 »

winifredevw wrote:I can't believe nobody has posted here. I guarantee we all need help, speak up guys, don't let this forum die!!!
allsierra123 wrote:Seems to be more for it than against it so far.The truth of the matter is shop tricks and techniques is to broad of a spectrum.And welding and fabrication is a major undertaking.It really needs its own area due to the fact that we need good solid advice thats easily and readily available.If for nothing else the safety of our fellow V Dubbers. :) .We dont want uninformed people welding in cages and what not that are gonna come apart and decapitate someone because some blow hard in some forum gave bad advice that a knowledgeable moderator could have caught and set straight.As far as tricks and techniques I mean most of that is common sense.And some good brainstorms.But its not going to mess with the safety of a motor vehicle that could possibly be traveling at a pretty good rate of speed.My thoughts on the matter anyway. :D

Tim
Leatherneck wrote:All these posts are great, easy to spot, wait a couple months, year or two and do a search. Or better yet just start on page 1 and keep looking

Be nice to have all welding in one area just for welding, questions on welding and things welded.
what year is it wrote:Living in the north east finding any VW that doesn't need some welding is rare. I would personally enjoy finding out anything I could about rust repair on a VW. I've already got the 2 Bugme videos on rust repair, read John Henry's site religiously and have several sites bookmarked but could still use more.
Leatherneck wrote:It seems mostly the same guys are posting in here but you know once there is a forum the majority will be using it. Kinda like the count, yes some of that is from others seeing what was posted but a lot of people just sit back and watch, listen and learn. I have a lot of info in the Off-Road forum that will be moved to the welding forum and have questions to ask but I know it is going to get lost in the shuffle if it is not put in one place. Come on Doc, ya know you want it :lol:
Piper wrote:Welding is a mistical process thats important to anyone restoring a car of any make and model. I have assisted in a little welding in the process piping side of things, but never where it needs to look pretty, and do more than just hold water. I say Welding Forum could be important to anyone doing major body work. Bring it on!
Passatman wrote:We need this forum could get alot of help from you guys.
Kubelmann wrote:I am all about adding a forum that supports a VW lovers passion. IF a forum has a moderator with said passion. It is a great idea that I support passionately.. I voted yes and suggest other Thingsters on this forum vote the same. But that is just one guy's opinion..
allsierra123

Post by allsierra123 »

Only 100 votes.We need for more people to be voting on this.The next step is to PM the link to each person on the board.We were hoping more people would have been turned onto this thread already though.
david58

Post by david58 »

I thought when Doc made this a sticky we would see more votes we have seen more traffic. So that looks like there is interest in a forum, maybe a lot of luckers that aren't members are checking it out. I think we need to open this forum up and see what happens.
shopteacher

starter topic

Post by shopteacher »

light it up.. start with a picture of that shock mount with the really nice weld
have the welder explain how they got such a good weld.