Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
rickosuave1987

Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Well I never really started a build thread over here. And since I have some work coming up on the baja (a beam swap and new seats) I figured I would post one.
But to start out, I got the bug as a full bodied sedan, and the fiberglass kit from my uncle for $400 which was basically what he paid for the baja kit. The front end was smashed in an accident and was pounded back (mostly) straight. What wasnt straight was filled with massive amounts of bondo. Thankfully it all got cut off to put on the glass. Well I have a bunch of pictures of the progress, and I know you all like pictures so Ill let them do the talking.
after cutting
getting all the glass fit
I mounted the bumpers and added the light bar with 2 100w and 2 55w lights.
originally I was going to paint everything light blue to just match the color the car was already, but later decided to just black everything out.
A while later I got a 4 point roll bar for free so im going to use it for now until I can afford to either add on or replace it with a full cage.
also painted the bumpers and added a work light/reverse light onto the rear cage

I got a new beam with adjusters in it for free along with some steel wheels from getdone (clint, not sure if hes on STF or not). Hopefully the swap will happen tomorrow.
I also got some seats for christmas from my uncle. They will go in as soon as I get some seat mounts ordered.
Last edited by rickosuave1987 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Rico, thanks for posting your story/pics.

Funny thing, for a moment I thought your Baja was a different 70 bug that runs around here in Rosamond with light blue paint, a smashed front end and the back already cut, it's half way to a Baja right now. I tried to buy it a few years ago but they like the bug and they like running around with it that way. I see it around Albertsons and the High School from time to time.

Take care
Monte
Last edited by Class 11 streeter on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Rico, those are some comfy looking seats. glad you posted pics, are you welding or have you already welded the front bumper to the beam or are you using brackets?
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Leatherneck wrote:Rico, those are some comfy looking seats. glad you posted pics, are you welding or have you already welded the front bumper to the beam or are you using brackets?
Yea the seats are pretty good. Much better than the springy stock ones in there now.
The bumper that is attached to the new beam has some sort of gas tank attachment on it so its getting ditched. Luckily the one I have on the stock beam attaches to the same points with the brackets that are welded near the shock towers.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Question
I found some clearanced ball joints and i was wondering if anyone had used them? Would they be better for off road since they wont be binding? Has anyone used them?
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Well I got the beams swapped today. The only things I have left is to hook up and bleed the brakes. It did take much longer than I was hoping today. Its a lot harder to install a beam by yourself than it is to take one out. And the fact that it was barely above freezing all day didnt help. But none the less i got it in and almost ready to go.
First I removed the nose peice and the front bumper.
Then I siphoned the gas out of the tank so I could remove it.
Next came disassembling the beam. And I found out the reason why the car would rock when being towed... a busted steering dampner
Removed the beam

No pics, but I welded the shock towers all the way together on the new beam.
And then I hoisted it into place
ohh theres my rachet :roll:
I left the lower bolts out because the front bumper is going to attach with them.
Got the steering column hooked up
And finally assembled the tie rods again.
Getrdone

Post by Getrdone »

Good job, did you need to turns the arms. I think the arms were put on 90* off. Keep up the momentum. Clint
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Good job man!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I looked into the radiused BJs once. They were developed for the off-road guys who are required to have a BJ front beam. They give a little extra travel but you do weaken them up by radiusing them... at least this is what I was told my several people. I decided not to use them.

There are other things you can do but all require a lot of work or as in the Think front beam, hard to get and expensive.

Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Getrdone wrote:Good job, did you need to turns the arms. I think the arms were put on 90* off. Keep up the momentum. Clint
I havnt done anything with the arms yet because it hasnt been on all 4 yet. Tomorrow i will set it down and figure the arms out.
RyanB wrote:Good job man!

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I looked into the radiused BJs once. They were developed for the off-road guys who are required to have a BJ front beam. They give a little extra travel but you do weaken them up by radiusing them... at least this is what I was told my several people. I decided not to use them.

There are other things you can do but all require a lot of work or as in the Think front beam, hard to get and expensive.

Lee
Thanks for the feedback. I heard the same thing on the other site. I will be getting new ball joints in a couple weeks and have them pressed in.
rickosuave1987

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Well since the adjusters failed horribly at ocotillo :roll: , i am not planning on either cutting and turning my stock beam or getting some of the other type of adjuster. What is your experience with either one and what do you recomend? vote in the poll too!
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Cut and turn works good for stock stuff if you don't turn it too much... and unless your welds are crap, it won't fail.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Adjusters works good for stock stuff if you don't turn it too much... and unless your welds are crap, it won't fail. :lol:

Sorry Skid had to copy you.

I just like being able to adjust it depending on terrain.
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

The type of adjusters he has stripped right out (in camp). Had to come along in his Toy 4x4...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

If he stripped these out then we need to rethink this whole thing. These do pretty good. I have not had any problems in taking off or landing.