Best 120V MIG Welder?

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Bugfuel

Best 120V MIG Welder?

Post by Bugfuel »

I'd like to hear opinions from experienced welders who have also used the bigger stuff, 230V.

I'm used to 3-phase big stuff but I am forced to step down to 120V in the near future, due to relocating and losing my shop. (my choice...)

I will look for places where I can get 230V and decent working facilities, but for starters I think I'll be stuck with a home garage, and a rented house to boot. (No mods allowed)

Jan
Rescue912

Post by Rescue912 »

Depending what you are doing a 120V will work just fine. I used to use 240V (and even 480V) 3 phase Millermatics at my job and WOW are they nice. Running with straight CO2 and copper coated wire you could pop a hole in 5/8 steel - how is that for penetration!

Don't expect that from the 120V welder though. You can get really decent penetration with multiple passes and I love my 120V welder. I do mostly sheet but also some structural.

I miss spray MIG though - not enough juice in the little boxes for that but I can do anything I need to on a VW with the hobby welder.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

I love my HTP. Better duty cycles that miller or Hobart

Rob
Pepo

Post by Pepo »

Hi Jan, I use a Lincoln 100 for several years now and am quite happy with it. Of course, I am only a hobbyist and use it on items around the house and recently for building the oil filter holder on my rebuilt '71 Type I. I don't think that Lincoln still makes the 100 anymore and so you might have to go to the 135 that I am sure works well too. These machines can be updated for Argon etc. here in the States for about $ 100. The machines cost around $ 300. Hope this helps, take care and have fun.
fortyeye

Post by fortyeye »

I'm with Pepo. Lincoln 100 with gas attachment. Works great for light duty jobs.
AKA clearsurf
terry cloyd

Post by terry cloyd »

The old Lincoln 100 welder ran with both gas and shielded cable. You can upgrade the Lincoln 100 by changing to the 30 amp plug and cord. This will make it 100 amps with a 30 amp breaker. I don't think that any other 120 volt will burn this hot. NOTE: you will have to change the breaker in your panel box and the receptical.
Hotrodvw

Post by Hotrodvw »

I use the Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 also with the gas kit. It's rated to do 1/4" thick material with two passes. Personally, I think it's going to lie in the hands of the opperator. If you can't weld, you'll need three passes LOL. I don't do much 1/4" stuff, but what I have done, hasn't brokeen yet......and that's a good thing. :D
Eric
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

I have one of the Lincoln 135's and am pretty happy with it. One good upgrade is to put on a much larger / longer power cord. I am rarely ever welding near a recp and the oversized power cord keeps the amps up. I also put a recp on the welder cart that the oversized power cord feeds into. Very handy.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

I've got a Lincoln SP-135 Plus. Love it... :wink:
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
terry cloyd

Post by terry cloyd »

I love my old Miller 200. It will lay the weld down like a roll of dimes. My buss box " Lincoln" will do the same.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I have a Century 155...

Contrary to what most suggest... for normal use, it's my opinion that 120v units are a smarter use... I can always find a dedicated 20 am cirucuit in a builidng... it's the 220 that requires some dedicated setup.

T.
bajamul

Post by bajamul »

i just got a brand new hobart 140 and it hanled the cage work in my baja quite well. i even welded some 1/4 inch with good penetration on the highest amp setting. i dont see why a hobbyist would need anything bigger than a 140. forgot to mention i am running an argon/co2 blend gas.
The Wild Kids

Post by The Wild Kids »

I got on e of the Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight. I used it to build my tree bars and race brace as well. I worked great for awhile but for some reason now it won't grip the wire to feed it through the hose any more. Used it now for 2 years. It will do the aluminum stuff also.

The wild kids.

PS. I have unplugged the stove and made an extension cord for 230v to use my Ironman a few times. Just a hint, no mods done to the house at all.
digger

Re: Best 120V MIG Welder?

Post by digger »

i recently purchased a hobart 140 handler and it is an awesome machine.a buddy of mine has a lincoln 120 volt welder that sucks.this is a very easy and forgiving welder.i've welded 1/4" plate with no problem(.030 wire &72/25 mix).i highly recommend this welder,i'm using mine on a 20 amp circuit with no problems.i have used it on my dads farm with flux-core wire and a 5000 watt gas generator with no problems.i purchased mine from my local ill-mo dealer for 440.00.
Bugfuel

Re: Best 120V MIG Welder?

Post by Bugfuel »

I unplug the stove and run my cord there too. I have yet to do any car metal work with my welder, so time will tell how well it works.