Another Type 4 Turbo Thread

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ephry73 wrote:Pile, what cam are you going to run with that? maybe pic something up like the stock one, with a little more lift and a bit(just a bit) more duration on the exhaust.

E
It'll be with the stock Pile 1.7 bottom end and the 2L heads,

I've decided just to wait for the heads from Len, and have the turbo rebuilt properly, as from all I can tell it is unexpectedly perfect for what I have in mind.
(Supposedly 6-19 PSI boost on tap from ~2500>redline, this hybrid combo is supposedly OK to 250HP, not that I plan on going there... :twisted: )

The 93 jugs will work with the dual spring 2.0s fine, and I'll likely do the 3/8" rod bolts in the 1.7 rods, lighten them a bit and have them otherwise rebuilt/balanced while I'm at it.

The 42x36s should flow enough for now, Len is doing a bit of "boost ready" work on them, on an 1800, it should go like stink `till it runs out of air, or cam, whichever comes first.

Once the "new" motor is carved in stone and built, I'll play with turning down the 1800s for the 1700 heads, and probably stuff that in my Grandsons Square.

This motor will also help me to decide what I want to do with the 2.0>2.2 or whatever.
I may decide to go berserk and do the Deutz jugs_on_1700 heads I keep threatening to do. (sealing surface ~3mm down in head, almost stock meat in the head w/101.6 bore)

I'll start a new thread once I start assembling.
Last edited by Piledriver on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Passatman wrote:Thank's alot for the replies so far sandeep. I will try and go to germanlook website and find all the old post again.
I think all those pics are gone. However, I have them saved on my PC, so I could email them to you if you can't find them.

Daniel
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Thanks alot daniel, please e-mail them to me.
dstar

Post by dstar »

Time for a new fuel filter Sandeep! That one is kinda dirty
:lol:

BTW, that is a SWEET setup!

Don
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

:oops: I actually changed the filter last night after taking that picture and seeing that.

I am working on a video of a full speed run and will post it when completed :twisted:

Sandeep
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Tease us Sandeep, tease us. I think Ed Villela used the Web #73 for his 1.7 turbo(the one featured on Excellence) and from his comments and the writer's comments the thing was a beast in a 914. I can only imagine something like that in a car that's 600lbs lighter.

E
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Pile,

You may also consider some alcohol/water injection if you decide to up the boost a bit. From what I have read it is simple enough to make if ou find the right parts, and make it yourself(not to mention cheap)

E
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Looks great sandeep!

How does the new ignitionmap look!?

Can't wait to see the movie :twisted:

dstar >> it is supposed to get dirty... instead of the engine :lol:

ephry>> I used the #73 too! It builds pressure fast and everything comes at ones :twisted: Even Jonas that have alot of experience had problem with it in the rain :lol:

I prefer a IC over water injection, what happens if you get out of water :shock:

Keep it coming Sandeep!!!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Makes sense to me.

E
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Ephry73 wrote:I think Ed Villela used the Web #73 for his 1.7 turbo(the one featured on Excellence) and from his comments and the writer's comments the thing was a beast in a 914.
I did not find it to be so. I was actually pretty disappointed in the performance of Ed's car when he let me drive it.

Uh, until I looked at the speedo. It was really odd--it didn't give you a hard shove back in the seats, nor a real kick in the pants. It just pulled, maybe a bit harder than I was used to. But waitaminnit, I'm having to grab gear after gear after gear. And how fast am I going already? OK, maybe I need to hit the brakes now...

It was quite an odd sensation. Ed's car seemed to quickly get you to high speeds without really accelerating very hard. I'm guessing it was a combination of relatively low noise (the turbo tends to muffle both intake and exhaust), a good suspension setup, and a very flat torque curve.

--DD
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Guess I misread it :oops:

I did love the setup of his engine though. :D

E
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Dave_Darling wrote:
Ephry73 wrote:I think Ed Villela used the Web #73 for his 1.7 turbo(the one featured on Excellence) and from his comments and the writer's comments the thing was a beast in a 914.
I did not find it to be so. I was actually pretty disappointed in the performance of Ed's car when he let me drive it.

Uh, until I looked at the speedo. It was really odd--it didn't give you a hard shove back in the seats, nor a real kick in the pants. It just pulled, maybe a bit harder than I was used to. But waitaminnit, I'm having to grab gear after gear after gear. And how fast am I going already? OK, maybe I need to hit the brakes now...

It was quite an odd sensation. Ed's car seemed to quickly get you to high speeds without really accelerating very hard. I'm guessing it was a combination of relatively low noise (the turbo tends to muffle both intake and exhaust), a good suspension setup, and a very flat torque curve.

--DD
Hard seats.

A lot of cars "feel fast" because they have very soft seats, any accelleration at all and you sink like you're pulling 6Gs.

BTW, just got off the phone with a very nice fellow named William from Blaast Performance in Quebec. To my question about just doing a rebuiild now, He said " the turbo is in very nice shape, try it, it doesn't need a rebuild right now"

The fellow could have gotten some free buisiness from a $26 E-bay snipe, but was honest, so many extra points for him.

He's also very reasonable, $135 to rebuild an IHI turbo is dirt cheap.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
dstar

Post by dstar »

IS that the Ford Probe turbo?

Don
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Piledriver wrote:Hard seats.

A lot of cars "feel fast" because they have very soft seats, any accelleration at all and you sink like you're pulling 6Gs.
Well, I suppose that is possible... But I have a lot of time in 914s with the stock seats, and a half-decent amount in ones with aftermarket seats. You think I'd be used to the feel of the different seats.

It just didn't feel that much different from driving my own car, or EJM's bone-stock 76. Dunkle's former 3.0 Six, now that was a different story! Quite explosive, that one. And the racing seats in it were not exactly comfy-cushy...

--DD
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

dstar wrote:IS that the Ford Probe turbo?

Don
IIRC it's the compressor wheel off the (Edit--Mazda 323 GTX or secondary turbo off a twin turbo JDM WRX), and the larger turbine off a Legacy/2.3 Ford Tbird.. It may have the larger compressor housing, not sure.

Should have relatively low backpressure to boost ratio if I grok the concept correctly.

If I go to a bigger motor that really needs more than ~225 CFM, there are a huge variety of compresors that fit...
The VJ11 turbine is a "good setup" to ~300 HP, and a rebalance job is ~$35...

Should be perfectly suited to a 1.8, anyway.

I'll be sucking 100% of the engine cooling air thru the Volvo IC, should be interesting experiment. (fits perfect above the engine in a 914, and has tons of area, thin)

For the exhaust, I'll probably follow Eds example.
(Lop the U-Tube off the Bursch that goes to the muffler, and bring that up for the turbo, all else 2.0 914 stock)

Relocating the CIS-E to the passenger side, right over the just relocated pump, just aft of the new 1L LP fuel sump bolted to the firewall.
HP fuel lines will be ~1 ft long when it's "done".