Another Type 4 Turbo Thread

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Jeza

Post by Jeza »

Hi Sandeep

Looks great!

Where and how are you doing the oil return from the turbo?

Keep us posted

Cheers
Jeremy
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

I LOVE it when a plan comes together ! :lol:

Got the motor started and idling on the weekend :D That MS/EDIS setup is incredible ... the motor idles at 600 rpm according to megatune, and fires up instantly ! When I had the 44 IDF's I'd have to crank for about 2 to 3 seconds before it started up.

I have a minor issue with #1 cylinder .. I have spark but not sure if I have fuel .. will check it out tonight. I think I may have connected a wire wrong as when I touch the #1 primary, it is cool to the touch after the engine idles for about 3 minutes.

I will take your advise Jonas and connect the breather to the intake snorkle of the turbo.

I will post some pics of the engine shelves this evening.

The low mounted turbo is scavenged by a Tilton differential/oil cooler pump.

Now I just need to get used to using Megatune and the logger viewing software to see what the graphs all mean 8)

Should be on the street and seeing boost in a couple of weeks !!

Sandeep
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Great work sandeep!! :)

Isn't MS lovely ? :)

Be sure to disconnect MS from the the cables if your going to check for cable errors!
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Tracked down the problem to a bad fuel injector :x Sucks when you buy them on EBay 4 months ago and only get to try them out now .. :( Live and learn I guess.

Got a new one today ... now on to some tuning !

Sandeep
type3

Post by type3 »

Sandeep wrote:I LOVE it when a plan comes together ! :lol:

Got the motor started and idling on the weekend :D That MS/EDIS setup is incredible ... the motor idles at 600 rpm according to megatune, and fires up instantly ! When I had the 44 IDF's I'd have to crank for about 2 to 3 seconds before it started up.
Cool, that's fantastic news! :D Have you driven it yet? :)

cheers,
type3
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Its been a while since my last update.

I THINK I have the MS/EDIS setup tuned reasonably well. It revs great with no hesitating/backfiring. I am going to get the downpipe flange cut this weekend (been tuning with no DP or O2 sensor so far) :oops: The LC-1 will go in when I get the flange welded up.

It is on jackstands right now, but the wheels will do on in about a week for the first drive around the block.

The sound of the turbo spooling is addicting and when the BOV releases :shock: ... I LOVE IT !!! :twisted:

Video and pics of the completed setup to come.

Sandeep
Sandeep

WE HAVE BOOST ... and a broken CV joint

Post by Sandeep »

Add another turbo to the relm of the mysterious and ficticious Turbo T4 :lol:

At about 730 pm last night, the boost gauge read positive pressure and I had a huge smile on my face. I took the bug for a spin on the back roads and it is LOUD !. I have the boost controller in MS set for 10 PSI.

I don't have the DP flange back from Lanner yet, hopefully this weekend.

The engine is running rich at boost according to the LC-1 which is held close to the turbo with mechanics wire. :oops:

I was coming down the road and down shifted from 2nd to 1st to make a u-turn and mashed the pedal and dropped the clutch .... broke the drivers side CV joint. I had enough momentum to coast close to home and pushed the car the rest of the way. The logging software said 7 psi

Fortunately, I have a spare CV ... time to upgrade to bus CV's and 944 axles.

I would compare the feeling of driving this car with the turbo to the feeling I had when I converted from my tired 1600cc T1 to the 914 2.0 T4.

The acceleration is incredible and you run out of road very fast !

Still need to tune with the LC-1, but MAN AM I HAVING FUN !

Sandeep
jonas_linder

Re: WE HAVE BOOST ... and a broken CV joint

Post by jonas_linder »

Sandeep wrote:Add another turbo to the relm of the mysterious and ficticious Turbo T4 :lol:

At about 730 pm last night, the boost gauge read positive pressure and I had a huge smile on my face. I took the bug for a spin on the back roads and it is LOUD !. I have the boost controller in MS set for 10 PSI.

I don't have the DP flange back from Lanner yet, hopefully this weekend.

The engine is running rich at boost according to the LC-1 which is held close to the turbo with mechanics wire. :oops:

I was coming down the road and down shifted from 2nd to 1st to make a u-turn and mashed the pedal and dropped the clutch .... broke the drivers side CV joint. I had enough momentum to coast close to home and pushed the car the rest of the way. The logging software said 7 psi

Fortunately, I have a spare CV ... time to upgrade to bus CV's and 944 axles.

I would compare the feeling of driving this car with the turbo to the feeling I had when I converted from my tired 1600cc T1 to the 914 2.0 T4.

The acceleration is incredible and you run out of road very fast !

Still need to tune with the LC-1, but MAN AM I HAVING FUN !

Sandeep
I know the feeling :D

Good luck with your further tuning :)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Very cool! Good to hear its all working.
Very curieus as to your temps later when everything is dialled in.

Tnx for sharing the experience.
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

Nice one Sandeep. As I've said before, it MUST be a GOOD feeling..

Keep the data flowing :wink:

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
type3

Re: WE HAVE BOOST ... and a broken CV joint

Post by type3 »

Sandeep wrote:At about 730 pm last night, the boost gauge read positive pressure...
w00t! :lol: Congratulations, always good to hear a success story. :D

cheers,
type3
Sandeep

Some wierd noises ?

Post by Sandeep »

I have some wierd noises coming from the 1-2 head (I think) when the engine is cooling down, ignition off, after I drive the car ... no matter if it is driven hard or just gently (about 20 mins of driving)

The best I can describe the noise as is like when you are cracking a peice of glass slowly, and it is intermittent during cool down ... like a header pinging but only a cracking glass sound.

Oil never gets above 190F, Megasquirt and LC-1 say about 12.1 AFR under boost (12 psi), MAT never gets above 40C, running NGK BR7ES plugs with EDIS.

I don't have my logger for the CHT hooked up yet to determine how hot the heads get but when I touch the manifolds after a run, they seem fine, and it is only the 1-2 head area the sound is coming from, not 3-4.

The fuel is not boiling in the rails, rails are cool to the touch after a run.

Any thoughts or suggestions ? :?

BTW, the driving experience is incredible. Engine revs HARD to my imposed redline of 5200 rpm and the power is still building but the road ends quick ! So far I've been up to 5200 rpm in 4th on a 914 gearbox and then I run out of bravery :twisted:

Thanks

Sandeep
Wally

Post by Wally »

Let me capture this again: you are still driving the stock, never openend 914 2,0 liter engine right? (as in 'no HD springs', cylinder head seals still there and all)
:shock:

I'd say you did a hell of a job!!

Noises after shutting off and cooling down: Who cares! Noises while you're driving you should be afraid of :lol:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
gaston

Post by gaston »

Have you checked the heads/valve clearance? Only to exclude loosing of the valve seats.

Oliver
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

I would say get the egt setup on the heads then you can say what's going on at the head level. I am very interested to find out how all this ends up as i want to buy a 911 kit from fat to replace the one my engine came with.