my turbo engine

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

How much flow are you expecting to run through th plenum? what size is the TB? it looks like the stock one on mexican beetles.

E
nasse

Post by nasse »

jonas_linder wrote:Very nice!

Why is it weld on the side of the flanges? :?

Intressting way of mounting the knockingsensor :)

I really like the way this engine is coming along! Nice work on the downpipe 8)

But I have some suggestions for you ;)

1. Get a bigger breather! That one wasn't even enough on a stock 2L type4 that I got in one of my cars.

2. Mount the temp sensor in one of the heads

Great work! :) Will you be at any meets this summer ?
welding on the flanges is actually two of those stamped flanges welded together :) wery sturdy unit..
tempsensor is not one of those flat ones, but sticks 5cm into the hot airstream

thanks for the input on the breather...

ephry73. TB is 55mm. not sure about the flow, I picked all of the EFI from a 85 saab
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

nasse wrote:
jonas_linder wrote:Very nice!

Why is it weld on the side of the flanges? :?

Intressting way of mounting the knockingsensor :)

I really like the way this engine is coming along! Nice work on the downpipe 8)

But I have some suggestions for you ;)

1. Get a bigger breather! That one wasn't even enough on a stock 2L type4 that I got in one of my cars.

2. Mount the temp sensor in one of the heads

Great work! :) Will you be at any meets this summer ?
welding on the flanges is actually two of those stamped flanges welded together :) wery sturdy unit..
tempsensor is not one of those flat ones, but sticks 5cm into the hot airstream

thanks for the input on the breather...

ephry73. TB is 55mm. not sure about the flow, I picked all of the EFI from a 85 saab
Ohh, nice, I thought it was 2 flanges welded together ;)

JonasN had his coolant temperatur sensor in the head (rocker box) in the oil! I suspect yours is the same ;)

I'm just trying to help, I dont want to be rude :oops:
nasse

Post by nasse »

JonasN had his coolant temperatur sensor in the head (rocker box) in the oil! I suspect yours is the same ;)
ahhh, in the rockerbox, didn't think of that :) think i'm gonna go for my placement for now, I can always move it later :wink: .
I'm just trying to help, I dont want to be rude :oops:
don't worry mate, I take all the input I can get :)

80% of the wireing is done now, and tonight i'm gonna visit a friend with a lathe. I'm gonna turn down the seating on my pressureplate to avoid slipping.
type3

Post by type3 »

nasse wrote: Image
That looks great! I'm loving you're intake setup, kinda wild but looks subtle too. :)

cheers,
type3
bo

Post by bo »

love the engine. how hard was it to fab that generator mount it is strong or no it looks like it works well
nasse

Post by nasse »

bo wrote:love the engine. how hard was it to fab that generator mount it is strong or no it looks like it works well
not hard at all once u measure the right position, its made from 8mm steel. I think it will hold up :) but then again I havent started the engine yet :wink:

If everything goes smothly I think startup will be sometime this weekend...
bo

Post by bo »

cool keep me posted but where is the peice place inside or outside the filler hole
nasse

Post by nasse »

but where is the peice place inside or outside the filler hole
its placed on the outside/top of the filler hole, or the stock breather tower if you like.
nasse

Post by nasse »

It's alive! it's alive!. buuaaahhhaaaa :twisted:

finaly started it today, broke in the cam and tok it for a short spin
and HOLY F*** it kicks. :twisted: . I got to get me one of those G-suits, because im getting lightheaded when the blood rush to my groin :twisted: LOL

so far i detected a minor oil leak from the oil return flange on the turbo unfortunaly this is the part of the system that is impossible to reach without removing the turbo :cry:

also it seems to run ritch, so I guess some tuning is in place.. :?
I will post some pictures of the car soon.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

nasse wrote:It's alive! it's alive!. buuaaahhhaaaa :twisted:

finaly started it today, broke in the cam and tok it for a short spin
and HOLY F*** it kicks. :twisted: . I got to get me one of those G-suits, because im getting lightheaded when the blood rush to my groin :twisted: LOL

so far i detected a minor oil leak from the oil return flange on the turbo unfortunaly this is the part of the system that is impossible to reach without removing the turbo :cry:

also it seems to run ritch, so I guess some tuning is in place.. :?
I will post some pictures of the car soon.
My first turbo engine leaked at the return too because of too high crankcase pressure! Is it pushing out oil at any other point ?

How much boost do you run ?! :)

I want to build my engine too :(
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Awesome stuff. Fabrication gets me all giddy.

The only thing I would change is the abrupt ending (cap) at the end of the exhaust. Seems like it would flow better with a curve into the second tailpipe.

Are you going to intercool?
MattKab

Post by MattKab »

:D Fantastic!

You Scandinavians work at a rapid pace! My blood is 50% Norwegian, 25% Irish and ~30% English, I'm 100% SLACK it seams..

Congrats dude. It must be good feeling. :)

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
nasse

Post by nasse »

well, after some initial trouble, witch turned out to be a bad fuelpump. I finaly got the car in god running condition. :D :D

BUT: as I was setting the ignition a final time using a stroboscope, with the positive cabel atatched to the + on the coil, the clamp slipped and shorted to the body of the coil without me noticing, causing a meltdown on most of the eletrical in the car :( :(

turns out to be a big job, and something I cannot fit in my shcedule this summer. I'm parking my car now and will wait for winter to change the harness
s*** happends.. :(

at least I have something to look forward to next summer :?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

nasse wrote:well, after some initial trouble, witch turned out to be a bad fuelpump. I finaly got the car in god running condition. :D :D

BUT: as I was setting the ignition a final time using a stroboscope, with the positive cabel atatched to the + on the coil, the clamp slipped and shorted to the body of the coil without me noticing, causing a meltdown on most of the eletrical in the car :( :(

turns out to be a big job, and something I cannot fit in my shcedule this summer. I'm parking my car now and will wait for winter to change the harness
s*** happends.. :(

at least I have something to look forward to next summer :?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

C`mon, dude, headlights are overrated anyway.

One 8 ga wire to the alt, power everything lese off that with a terminal strip in the back, one more to the front to power the stereo.

What else do you need? ;-)

(Seriously, one can engineer a nice, easy, bullet proof harness using that method...)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.