Turbo type4 fastback:)

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
peumansjoris

Post by peumansjoris »

Ofcourse, stupid from me. I still have to learn those tricks :oops:
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

peumansjoris wrote:Ofcourse, stupid from me. I still have to learn those tricks :oops:
you can't learn if you don't ask questions ;)
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Yes! I indexed them with an 8mm drillbit,then set the angle and switched to a bigger one;) really simple!
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

today i picked up my heads that my friend has done some welding on :D the headgasket always broke at the top but now it should be strong enought! by the way im going without gasket now...
Will this affect the cooling too mutch...hmmm
Last edited by jonas n on Tue May 30, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peumansjoris

Post by peumansjoris »

Hi Jonas N
What's the relation between the "broken gasket" and this "welding" ? Did the gasket brake because the head was not strong enough on top ?
Regards
Joris
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

the gasket always broke on the spot right in the middle of the headbolts,the head is too weak at this point and looses compression at high boost! but not anymore :)
Wesayso

Post by Wesayso »

jonas n wrote: will this affect the cooling too mutch....hmmm...
You can always go back to your welder and try this:

That's how Klaus, http://www.klaus-kaefertuning.de/ does it to make it stronger. That should help with cooling and serve its purpose :wink: .
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Coool! thats just so smart! and simple:)
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

ahh, looks great :)
Sandeep

Post by Sandeep »

Is the goal of the welding to "extend" the fin in this area and that is what makes the head stronger in this spot ? Or is it something else ?

Thanks

Sandeep
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

The thing is just to fill up with weld between the coolingfins to make this part stronger :wink:
Wally

Post by Wally »

And the reason you want to make it stronger in that area is because all type 4 heads that leaked that I have seen, had warped (sp?) in that plane.
Reason as I see it is that the head stud pattern of the type 4 is too big in the 'horizontal' plane versus the vertical plane.
Vertical distance of head studs is appr. 78mm (top of my head) and the horizontal distance is 94 (or there abouts), where the outer lower head studs are even further apart by 6 more mm!!

Thats why they start to leak first at the bottom (also because of more heat there, because of less cooling) and then at the top.
Tightening the heads too much will speed up the process of 'curving' the head over the cylinder. The head warps over the cylinder in the horizontal plane...

I hope I have described it in a way that it is understandable (?)
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

My Power Tuning Parts 6 stud heads are welded there too.
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Hi guys!
It´s been a while since i updated my tread... The car has been teared apart for some updates,the rear "subframe" has been mounted solid and the tranny is beeing put together again.. i also has welded alot of rust.... I´ll try to put up some pics when i get a descent computer running again;)
/Jonas :wink:
gaston

Post by gaston »

Hej.

Have you done some special things with the gear box. I ever thougt that 200 Nm is the limitation for the 091 gear box.

cu
Oliver