Another Type 4 Turbo Project...

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:
I like your project :) It's nice, clean and got _all_ the parts I want for my project :wink:

How have you planned the last part of the header ?
Hi Jonas,
To be honest it started out as a budget project but it got out of hand. :o

For the exhaust I originally planned on using cut down H/E's bolted onto a 914 header. i kinda felt that the original H/E's diameter might be a bit small, although the J-tubes that i now have might be a bit on the large side. Not sure yet if they'll be too big though, I'll have to try it and see. If I had thought about it properly I would have got Marty Staggs to make me a header in the first place. I guess i can always swap it out later.

In the meantime I'll make an adapter to go from the 914 header and curve upwards to the turbo.

:)

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

We all start with a budget.. then breaking it hard and much :lol:

That should work well! Any mockupictures with the turbo ?

To bad you don't live closer to me, it would be fun checking it out in person :)

Ohhh.. don't forget to get a good straight shoot for the oilreturn!
type3

Post by type3 »

Hi Jonas,
Too true about the budget! :lol:

No mockup pics of the turbo yet, I guess I'll wait until I get the top end together before I start fabricating the mount for the turbo. Good point about the oil return, I've read elsewhere on Shoptalk that it's a good idea to have a collector box for the foamed oil to accumilate in before returning the oil to the engine (via a large diameter tube). I'm thinking I'll run the return back to the deep sump. :)

Yeah shame about the distance. I am planning to go on a driving trip with the UK Type3 & 4 club to mainland Europe next summer, but that will be to Germany though (Wolfsburg). Should be good. :)

cheers,
type3
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

type3 wrote:Hi Jonas,
Too true about the budget! :lol:

No mockup pics of the turbo yet, I guess I'll wait until I get the top end together before I start fabricating the mount for the turbo. Good point about the oil return, I've read elsewhere on Shoptalk that it's a good idea to have a collector box for the foamed oil to accumilate in before returning the oil to the engine (via a large diameter tube). I'm thinking I'll run the return back to the deep sump. :)

Yeah shame about the distance. I am planning to go on a driving trip with the UK Type3 & 4 club to mainland Europe next summer, but that will be to Germany though (Wolfsburg). Should be good. :)

cheers,
type3
The return should be above the oillevel! Another way is to put a T in the return and run a hose to the breatherbox!

It's not to expensive to fly to London from here! The wolfburgtrip sounds fun! :)

edit.. lol brainfart :lol:
type3

Post by type3 »

Okay I'll look into the oil return and weigh up the options. I had just kinda 'assumed' (always a bad move!) that it would return to the sump. :)

If ya wanna come over to the UK, why not come over when the Volksworld show is on next year? It's a great indoor show that isn't hampered by the UK weather! :)

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

Small update, took delivery of my new cylinders this week. Thank you Charles! :D Ready to measure the deck height:

cheers,
type3
Last edited by type3 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Verry nice!

Just a small q: why the huge diameter dish area in the pistons?
Wouldn't a smaller diameter and slightly deeper dish complement the shape of the head better so that more squish would be acomplished?

Thanks,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
type3

Post by type3 »

Wally wrote:Verry nice!

Just a small q: why the huge diameter dish area in the pistons?
Wouldn't a smaller diameter and slightly deeper dish complement the shape of the head better so that more squish would be acomplished?

Thanks,
Walter
Hi Walter,
To be honest, I really don't know, it's how JE supplied them. I guess there's a reason but I don't know what it is, sorry.

cheers,
type3
Wally

Post by Wally »

type3 wrote: Hi Walter,
To be honest, I really don't know, it's how JE supplied them. I guess there's a reason but I don't know what it is, sorry.

cheers,
type3
Ok, I thought it had to be deliberate, as the forged JE pistons in the Nickies sets were all custom and I am sure you have specified you were going to use it for a turbo engine and hence a lower CR.

No worries, maybe Charles will chime in later.

Greets,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
type3

Post by type3 »

Wally wrote: Ok, I thought it had to be deliberate, as the forged JE pistons in the Nickies sets were all custom and I am sure you have specified you were going to use it for a turbo engine and hence a lower CR.

No worries, maybe Charles will chime in later.

Greets,
Walter
The supplier I got the JE's from (not LN in this case) new it was a for a Turbo application so they asked for the dish for a lower CR. I'm just not sure why it's a wide shallow dish instead of narrow deep dish, I'm sure JE had a reason. :)

cheers,
type3
L.A.R.D

Post by L.A.R.D »

type3 greetings, are those je,s from me????? cheers Lee L.A.P
type3

Post by type3 »

L.A.R.D wrote:type3 greetings, are those je,s from me????? cheers Lee L.A.P
Hi Lee,
No, I'm afraid not, I got them from Stateside Tuning.

cheers,
type3
L.A.R.D

Post by L.A.R.D »

not a problem type3, its just we had je make us a set of those in 96mm for a customer thats building another type4 turbo engine here in u.k and i was going to reveal some info on why they are like that, we gave je dimensions of stock vw 94mm piston told them i wanted 7.5.1 comp ratio and they where for turbo application and they came back just like yours all the best Lee L.A.P
type3

Post by type3 »

Ah cool, that's interesting to know, so maybe it's their standard way of doing a dish? I guess doing it this way will leave more material in the depth of the forging, so maybe stronger?

cheers,
type3
type3

Post by type3 »

jonas_linder wrote:The return should be above the oillevel! Another way is to put a T in the return and run a hose to the breatherbox!
Hi Jonas,
This is kind of what I had in mind (cheekily 'borrowed' from Turbomania)...

...with the exception that the drain would be more vertical and go to the back of the deep sump. When you say the 'return should be above the oil level' wouldn't that pressurise the return hose? Am I missing something?

cheers,
type3