*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

jonas_linder wrote:Got some stuff done today to! The engine is all done now except for intake and other small things!

Half the "shelf" is done to, alot of tricky corners and angels, but it all done now!

Here is some pictures!

Feel free to ask questions!

As a sidenote JonasN got his engine together again! It runs _much_ cooler without the paper in the fan :roll:

We where out tuning it tonight. We added som springs and managed to raise the boost to 1.4bars! Now the injectors is bottomed out! They are 380cc. According to this page - http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/minj.htm - 4x389cc injectors at 85% are good for 250hp :shock:

As a funny little story we drove from my garage.. suddenly he stopped.. put in the second gear, reved up the engine and dumped the clutch 8) The backtires let lose and the car moved sideways :shock: ... for about 1 meter.. then the outer CVjoint was trash.. 30 min later we where back on the road :twisted:
Hi Jonas. What i like most about your set up is the turbo location. It will drain the oil very nicely into the motor.

Thanks for sharing Jonas.
culman1234

Post by culman1234 »

Hello, Newbie here, I just acquired a Baja Bug with a type IV conversion already started. I read all about Jonas' turbo project. That poop is off the hook. I am turbocharging also but am using a turbo Trans AmT3 draw through sytem (pictured). I got the idea from a sand rail (pictured). My motor is 2.0. I am going to run a holley carbuerator. I believe 390 CFM should be about right. Does anyone have any input? This is my first time building a turbo engine and don't want to get all high tech. No FI, don't know if I'll need an intercooler, just hope it won't explode the first time out and maybe make it up a few sand dunes. Anyone know where to get a deal on the DTM fan cover and generator mount or is the home made one in my next generation model going to be ok with an exposed motor? [/img]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/culman123 ... pg&.src=ph
culman1234

Duh

Post by culman1234 »

Sorry, I can't figure out how to post the pics like Jonas did. Copy and paste the urls to see the pics
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

eddie >> The oilreturn got a bit goofed up.. we will see if it works!

culman1234>> Nice, more turbos!! You will love it ;) you can get the DTM from the type4store.com .

It would work to go with stock cooling if running a baja.. in that way you can use the stock intake (alot of time saved!! ) and you will get alot more room!

Don't use an IC on a drawthrough, make a search and you can read why! ;)

I love FI, it's so nice to be able to adjust fuel and ignition on the fly while driving!
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Eddie >> Sharing is fun!! :D

Update 2005-09-11

Okey, lets start wit some pictures with the work done yesterday.

The engine is in the car now.. looks alot more finished with the engine in the car and exhaust all fitted 8)

It will be alittle heavier in the rear but it is alot of ground clearenc because of my raised rear transmissionmount!

The shelf is done and the removeable "firewall" is made from alu. and dressed with soundproffing material. It is mounted by 6 fastclips (red circles)

Okey, Now for today.

Got there.. snaped some pictures.. looked over what work that was left to do.

Started with the downpipe to the turbo.

Here is a pictures showing the difference from the old and new pipe.. The old pipe was very sharp to.

The start of downpipe..

And here is the finished first piece sitting on the turbo.

After that I made the oilreturn.. I don't know if the angel is good enough.. but the pipe/hose is 25mm and should be more then enough.
I made a piece that makes the mounting of the intakehose alot easier..

After that I mounted the oilreturn and tryed to mount the turbo.. There where NO way in hell.. The oilreturn hit the header... :evil:
Took of the oilreturn from the turbo.. cut and rewelded it.. ofcourse I removed the cover for the collector from the previous attempt to mount the turbo and dropped one %¤&/(&%¤& M6bolt down there trying to mount the oilreturn.... :oops: after about 40 mintues I managed to get it up..
Mounted the oilreturn.. just to discovery that I couldn't mount the turbo with the oilreturn in place.. had to remove it again and bolt the turbo down.. Well.. it's all good now ;)

Here is a picture of the intakepiece

Here is an overview

Keep the feedback and questions coming ;)
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

Looks like a lot of hard work going on there... Keep it up.
Your cars going to look like a baja the way you are cutting the engine bay..
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Tony Z wrote:Looks like a lot of hard work going on there... Keep it up.
Your cars going to look like a baja the way you are cutting the engine bay..
Oh no, don'y worry.. it will be a removeable piece that makes it look stock when it's all done ;)

It's much easier to work on the engine if you do it this way!
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Update 2005-09-12

Okey, to make all you bajafans disapointed, here is todays update ;)

This is a pictures of my friend Jansson(he is named by his last name ;) ) while he was mounting the left fender! It's great to have a friend like him helping out when he can, thanks!

I wasn't satisfied with my old generatorstand.. so I made a new one today! All is done from flat metal.. 4mm for the base, 1.5mm for the bend and 0.9mm for the pipe.. yes even the pipe is homemade :roll:

Here is a picture with the generator on

Meanwhile Jansson made a piece that fits betwenn the fenders, pictured here. I will make a bracket that holds it to the engine, with rubbermounts!

He also changed the angel of the downpipe and testmounted the muffler!

And finally a picture of the fresh air intakehose!
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

when you get the car running it will sound like sitting in a wind tunnel
Wally

Post by Wally »

Probably, but what I like about the design is that it seperates the heat from the turbo from the air-intake and the cooling air intake!
But you will have to adress the in-car noise from those two, I agree.

With regard to the cooling housing and the cylindercovers: I would smooth out the transitions on that point, otherwise the high speed air may not travel all the way to the outer cylinderhead finnage. Take a peek at the DTM shroud and you know what I'll mean :roll:

Going well otherwise!
Can't wait to hear you describe how it runs :D

Best regards,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Oh, don't you worry, I will box the section around the intake and soundproof it on both the in- and outside! And if that doesn't work I'll have to think of something else :?

I'm not satisfied about the cylindercovers! I have to do something about them :( they are ugly too :roll: :wink: They where some of the first things I've made for the engine!

Thanks for your intresst in the project :)
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

UPDATE!! :D

I have done a airbox for the freshairintake.. it isn't pretty but this one will have to do until I know if it works!

I had to make the lower part of the coolingtins.. so I made new ones insteed(with some pushing from others :roll: :wink: )! I took som inspiration from the typ1 and from the dtm! I dunno how it will perform but we will see 8) They got a bit "square" but I like them! :) They are made of 0.9mm sheetmetal, all handmade!

Overview

Another angle

This is how it looks from the side!

Alot of room even though the muffler sits just outside!

I have also finished the downpipe with a bunge for the lambda, 3 nuts for fitting a heatshield and wraped it!

I have to sort out that harness.. it looks bad :(
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Had the car outside today to clean out the garage and to make some changes in how stuff where in there.. took this picture.. I like it :)

Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

looks great Jonas!!!!
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

are you doing anything about the brakes?? I see you still got rear drums