*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Damn, that fastback of your buddy is an amazing project as well!
Never saw a rack & pinion steering on a type 3 untill now :D
The Type 2 trans (placed more to the front?), the supports for that trans and engine, the self made intake and steel fuel rail with brackets are all very unique. Must be exiting to have such a fasty fastback :lol:
What happenend to cause that destroyed piston that is in the last picture of the first link?

Pity tho that he had to go through the floor with the intercooler; he did so much work to stay low with the engine...

Are the cylinder covers carbon fiber or s/th? They look different somehow.

How does that car go?

Thanks for the update and links! Very cool car BTW!!
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

badbug wrote:Hi Jonas,
How much power do you think you will make.
The cam is fairly mild.. so I say stock+ :wink:

I don't want to guess.. the cam was suggested to me by Joe Sumen!

Anyone more experienced can please shim in!
Wally wrote:Damn, that fastback of your buddy is an amazing project as well!
The Type 2 trans (placed more to the front?), the supports for that trans and engine, the self made intake and steel fuel rail with brackets are all very unique. Must be exiting to have such a fasty fastback :lol:
What happenend to cause that destroyed piston that is in the last picture of the first link?

Pity tho that he had to go through the floor with the intercooler; he did so much work to stay low with the engine...

How does that car go?
The entire frontaxle is moved up 7cm and the tank is lifted to! The r&p-stearing is no more.. to short arms.. it behaved weird! ;)

The transaxle is only moved up I think(I don't know)!

The destroyed pistons was from a paper that got stuck in the fan, half the fan was covered and jonas(he has the same name as me ;) ) was at a circuitday and had a BMW m3 laying behind him and didn't want to lose! (he didn't anyway :roll: ) So I would say heat!

Does cylindercovers are Jonas homemade carbonfibercovers! His cars are uniqe and always will be.

Well it moves good, he did lose to a mitsu evoII on 201m only by half a carlength and pulled away from it after that mark! He managed to keep a BMW M3 behind him for several laps (with roofrack) on a circuitday!

I don't have any numbers on it tho!

Here is a link to his other car futured in one of swedens largest magazines!

http://www.vwairheads.org/e107_plugins/ ... albumId=75
67FastyRSA

Post by 67FastyRSA »

Wally wrote:Damn, that fastback of your buddy is an amazing project as well!

How does that car go?

Thanks for the update and links! Very cool car BTW!!
Walter

These two Jonas's are doing wicked things :twisted: I would love to see a video clip of that Fastback in action (being a 2l type 4 engined fastback owner myself) I was just wondering... were did he locate his dipstick and filler?

Great work on your own engine....

Eben
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

I'm just an amature if you compair with him :lol:

I don't know where he has it :D I think he fills it from the top of the breathertower and he uses the stock position for the stick.. just guessing 8)
jonas n

Post by jonas n »

Hi guys! Thanks for the words about my car:)
I should try to answer a few questions here..
The dipstick is a shortened one in the original type 4 position,i fill the oil in the breather box;).
The tranny is moved a little bit forward and raised about 2" in the back end of the engine..
A little pictuire from the trackday that killed my piston:
http://www.hastig.se/hastig/bilder/121/ ... 289932.JPG

/Jonas (the other one)
Wally

Post by Wally »

Thanks for logging in Jonas N :wink: and linking that picture: it is a very very cool pic and a very good looking car!! Super stance.

Greets,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The guy in the BMW must have been dying inside...

Especially given the roofrack ;-)
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

I am also going M3 hunting soon. I hate BMW drivers.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

I have been to the garage and got something done..

Some braces in the rear

Fuelcell with dual pumps..

This "shelf" is for fresh air to the engine and for housing the MSD and MS

Modified fanhousing and the hose that connects it to the "shelf"

Picked up my rims for my buggy to :twisted:
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Wraped my header with heaterwrap today and bolted it down to the engine! Not much but a little step further ;)

No pics today thoe :oops:
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Got some stuff done today to! The engine is all done now except for intake and other small things!

Half the "shelf" is done to, alot of tricky corners and angels, but it all done now!

Here is some pictures!

Feel free to ask questions!

As a sidenote JonasN got his engine together again! It runs _much_ cooler without the paper in the fan :roll:

We where out tuning it tonight. We added som springs and managed to raise the boost to 1.4bars! Now the injectors is bottomed out! They are 380cc. According to this page - http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/minj.htm - 4x389cc injectors at 85% are good for 250hp :shock:

As a funny little story we drove from my garage.. suddenly he stopped.. put in the second gear, reved up the engine and dumped the clutch 8) The backtires let lose and the car moved sideways :shock: ... for about 1 meter.. then the outer CVjoint was trash.. 30 min later we where back on the road :twisted:
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

when do you plan to have this car finished??
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

A couple of monts ago :roll: :oops:

The shelfs is done and the cover is made too and the engine is in the car now :D

Sorry no pictures :(
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

happens to us all.....
keep the pics and input coming, I am interested to see the
progress....
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

I'm on my way to the garage now.. watch later for updates! ;)