Compufire vs Petronix

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Tobra

Compufire vs Petronix

Post by Tobra »

I know that a real electronic iginition would be best, but I want simple and low profile. Is there an advantage of one system over theother, or are both essentially the same? Plan to do this in a '74 2 liter 914 with stock everything else.
ottobahn

Post by ottobahn »

I had great luck and was very pleased with pertronix peformance in my 009,plan to put one in my 019 when I get the bucks.
VGM

Post by VGM »

The only thing I've heard, is that the compufire has a lower failure rate than the pertronix.I like the pertronix because it is a more sturdy unit.The compufire rotor is delicate and will shatter under uneven preasure when installing or removing it.The choice is yours.
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

I've heard the same, and tried several units of both. I keep buying Pertronix for it's better quality build and less crack prone design of the magnetic collar. Nice silicone wires, and ruber grommet for the dizzy body to keepo water out. Overall better quality parts and more thought put into it.

I had a Compufire disc grenade on me at 3am when launching from red ligts just outside of the city. Not fun. The Pertronix magnetic collar wil NEVER see such centrifugal forces, due to design. I've taken the pertronix past 9000rpm without a glitch, ever.

I'd go with Pertronix, from www.aircooled.net -they promised to replace units that are broken out of the box, without a hassle. Never had a bad one, I've used them for years and have bought maybe half a dozen or more. They don't fail under use, if you got a bad one it was bad from the manufacturer and you get no spark.

Oh and just in case you were wondering, there's also Accu-Fire, sold by Bugpack. It's an exact copy, or perhaps even the same item, as Compufire.

Jan
Tobra

Post by Tobra »

Thank you my brothers. Petronix it is, for the 914, and in the super I sold back to mom(She could not bear to see it go)
MinamiKotaro

Post by MinamiKotaro »

I have both. The Pertronix gives a cleaner ignition signal and had less installation problems. The Compufire's magnet-wheel-thing would simply not lay flat on the distributor shaft.

Both are quality pieces, though.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
vicsvw

Best

Post by vicsvw »

We have Sold and Used both and also used some of the cheaper brands and find no difference in any of them. At one time we thought there might be an advantage to the larger diameter rotor but this did not prove out. We thought the name brands might be better Quality but this did not prove out. We have found that 90% of all problems come from not reading instructions. (hooking up a wire wrong) or leaving a key on. In some cases the screw that held the condenser was slightly to long once the condenser was removed. See -> Electronic Ing. How to Install <> http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/electronicing.htm This has been one of the best thing for the VW outside of the Stainless Steel Exhaust valves.
MinamiKotaro

Re: Best

Post by MinamiKotaro »

vicsvw wrote:In some cases the screw that held the condenser was slightly to long once the condenser was removed.
This is important. My Ignitor II instructions didn't say to leave the condenser can screw out, so I put it back to plug the hole. The thing didn't work worth a crap.

So, we got a Compufire and its instructions did contain a note to leave out the condenser can screw once you took it off. We took the little screw out of the distributor with the Pertronix in it and, boom, it suddenly worked great.

Perhaps the Pertronix people didn't think anyone would put the screw back in.
'67 Beetle, 2276
MS-1 v3.57
coolj30

Compufire vs Petronix

Post by coolj30 »

Is there a Pertronix Ignitor II made for the 205 distributor?

All i can find is 009 and 050, would this one work?
mnsKmobi

Re: Compufire vs Petronix

Post by mnsKmobi »

coolj30 wrote:Is there a Pertronix Ignitor II made for the 205 distributor?
No
coolj30 wrote:IAll i can find is 009 and 050, would this one work?
No
dbcox

Post by dbcox »

I may be a little late but pertronix customer service is awesome. I hooked mine up backwards(u know what i mean) they sent me a new one, her about a month ago 2 years later i pulled my plastic collar out and it came apart they sent a new one with no receipt. I dealt with pertronix direct but i had bought the parts elsewere. So if you pull your collar out grab it under itself as much as you can it will pull apart,and you cant get the polarity back I got 3 out of 4 enough to get it out of the driveway.