The "Super 2 liter plus" outline revealed!

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MassIVe 79 Vert

Post by MassIVe 79 Vert »

Hey guys! Thanks for all the interest in the vert (though I know you're much more interested in the new engine combo than the car itself) :)

Yes, Jake certainly wants me out of that "damn Trail Blazer" . Even though I should get much, much better gas mileage in the bug, it's less about gas mileage for me and more about the plain and simple fact that I saw the car, wanted it and I ALWAYS get what I want! :shock:

Can't wait to get this project started and we'll be sure to check in along the way and keep everyone updated.

If Jake can convert this "Chevy Girl"....anything is possible!
Last edited by MassIVe 79 Vert on Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Elvira has entered the building........ :shock:
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine

So I'm singin'
Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Heigh-ho Silver, away

Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe
And I'm gonna give her all the love I can
She's gonna jump and holler 'cause I saved up my last two dollars
We're gonna search and find that preacher man

Now I'm a singin'
Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Heigh-ho Silver, away
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Damn, That song is almost as old as I am.........
sparkmaster1

Post by sparkmaster1 »

Hmmm, the Super Effecient motor sounds like a off shoot of a 1600 type 1 with 1300 S/P heads. Great torque and MPG. It's still my favorite for a daily driver engine.
500lb singing us old songs.... :roll: What is the STF coming to... No wonder he was the leader of the "lounge" :twisted: Tim
Owner Tim's ACVW Engine/Trans Service
500LbGorilla

Post by 500LbGorilla »

Actually I was going to embellish, but I had to go. I just decided to put it in as it belongs.

"Feelings" next.
NO_H2O

Post by NO_H2O »

Ok Beth, I am interested in the engine combo. But I just as interested in the idea of a RAT powered, 1303 GL vert here in GA. When the wheels/tires, struts, brakes, and suspension are in it will be a very fun car to drive. When the RAT drivetrain goes in,,,,,,, well,,,,,,, you'll see.

BTW. I know of a Southeastern German Look Club that would love to have a cool chick with a Bad @ss RAT powered, 1303 GL vert in their membership. :wink:
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Jake,

That sure sounds like a sweet combo. Matter of fact, you can use that basic configuration for a lot of other engine platforms with great success. For those who do not want a big engine, and maybe want to "turbocharge"....

Cannot wait for the prgoress reports.

Great Job man!

Ephry
HAM Inc

Post by HAM Inc »

Yeah I'm pretty excited about this project. I love a good technical challenge.

For years I've wondered what sort of potential one of these engines has for economy if a modern approach were taken with regard to bore/stroke ratio, rod/stroke ratio, programmable F.I and ignition, etc.

From my end a lot of effort will go into ensuring low speed port velocity and plenty of mixture motion in the chamber. Because we are shooting for peak torque well below 5250 the approach to port and chamber shape is different from a high speed engine where velocity and mixture motion occurs naturally, (provided the ports aren't "hogged"). Because mixture "stall" is a real threat on low speed engines Jake and I are working very closley on the cam-head combo for this engine. Without going into details, it appears that we have narrowed the search for the right cam down to 3 choices. As with any engine the intake closing point is extremely important, but another consideration on a mileage engine is valve overlap. Much attention will be paid to this phase of cycling to ensure that fuel is not lost to the exhaust. This will be done with some modern approaches regarding cam and F.I. timing.
I'm very eager to see what this combo will produce.
As high tech as this combo for Beths vert will be, I have a customer in Philly who is taking a shot at mileage with a pair of my heads produced to the same specs for a bottom end with the same bore/stroke ratio and rod/stroke ratio. But because of budget restraints he is fitting this engine with two Kadrons. Decidedly low tech, but very budget minded and user friendly. He will be giving me feedback as well so it will be a working example of a DIY experience. Should be interesting to see how the two compare.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Last night was another late one for me crunching numbers and looking for some alternative cam choices from other engines.

Today I am starting work on the plenum/ DTM oil cooler housing relocation and hope to have a prototype part to the Fiberglass shop next week so he can make us a mold for it.

All parts are sent to be coated and I mocked up the rods/coated bearings and measured them as well- Now to adjust the crank spec to allow for proper running clearances.

The car is going to get a ton of work done to it this weekend since the entire front suspension, front and rear brakes and the Porsche alloys will be here by Friday.

At the present it looks like it'll take us 2 months to get the new engine finished up and ready to install. I plan on using the engine install as an opportunity to shoot an install video for my engines and the EFI system so that may suck up an extra week to do the right way.
MassIVe 79 Vert

Post by MassIVe 79 Vert »

Many thanks to you Len and to you too Jake for all the hard work that's going into the engine combo for my vert. All this technical talk just confuses the crap out of me. When it comes to automotive "things", I'm as lost as last year's easter egg :?

Like I told Jake after we picked the car up....If he wants me out of my new SUV and in an old VW....I have a few stipulations. I want a car that's smooth and easy to drive, won't have to be constantly tweaked and repaired, can run 75 on the 10 loop here in Athens and oh yeah.....I want it to get good gas mileage too! It's a tall order I know; but, looks like we are well on our way to making it happen. :D

Like I said before though, converting this "Chevy Girl" won't be easy...... :wink:
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

One question, will you guys also look at the configuration with carbs? I am sure some of us will like to keep carbs for monetary reasons.

Ephry
slowtwitch

Post by slowtwitch »

HAM Inc wrote:Yeah I'm pretty excited about this project. I love a good technical challenge.

As high tech as this combo for Beths vert will be, I have a customer in Philly who is taking a shot at mileage with a pair of my heads produced to the same specs for a bottom end with the same bore/stroke ratio and rod/stroke ratio. But because of budget restraints he is fitting this engine with two Kadrons. Decidedly low tech, but very budget minded and user friendly. He will be giving me feedback as well so it will be a working example of a DIY experience. Should be interesting to see how the two compare.
Actually, they will be 40 Dell's, Len :D
MASSIVE TYPE IV

It's a tall order I know; but, looks like we are well on our way to making it happen
Nah... Nuttin to it!
Like I said before though, converting this "Chevy Girl" won't be easy......
I already did that- It was easier than I thought, you did it yourself!

Ephry,
From my end I'm not interested in the results with carbs, since all RAT engines are now injected. I do plan on some testing with carbs for the version I will sell for engine kits so I can make recommendations for jetting, timing and the like.
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Good enough. Plus, more efficiency to boot.

E