How to? Adjust Type IV Valves?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Capn Skully

How to? Adjust Type IV Valves?

Post by Capn Skully »

With my long rants about FI I finally have the '81 Vanagon running. I posted in my local club website about my FI issues so they pitched in. I now have a set of dual Solex carbs (Thanks to Bob Ingram and a Weber 2 bbl progressive system, a complete FI type IV engine and a complete type IV carb engine.

So on to my question, and I searched.... How do I adjust the valves on this engine. It is an '81 Vanagon FI (still) stock, standard tranny. Does it have hyd lifters? How can I find out? Where do I find the timing marks? Is there a mark for TDC and 180 out like a Type I engine? Do I set it for .006 just like a Type I ? The valves clatter like rocks in a tin can.

Thanks guys....
dstar

Post by dstar »

Yes, it has hydros if it hasn't been rebuilt with a solid cam.

You need to refer to your Bently manual for your particular year van
that you are working on for specs, as they may differ from year to year.

Don
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Gary, I just did a search at the top of the page here under
"adjusting hydraulic lifters" and it turned up a full page of info on that subject. Surely you`ll be an expert by the time you read it. Bob INGMAN
Capn Skully

Post by Capn Skully »

Thanks Bob, I saw a whole page of arguements between the virtues of solid and hydraulic lifters. My eyes just glazed over trying to pick out the bits of good info from opinions.

Anyway, I do have hydraulic lifters and I have solved the clicking and clacking noise they were making.

Thanks again, "G"
dstar

Post by dstar »

Capn Skully wrote:-------------
Anyway, I do have hydraulic lifters and I have solved the clicking
and clacking noise they were making

Thanks again, "G"
You burned it to the ground?
:lol:

Don
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Gary sorry I couldn`t be of more help to you. I have seen very good step by step how tos on the topic. I just couldn`t remember where and was hoping that it would turn up there for you.
I better learn how to myself. My next engine (yet to be installed) is a hydraulic version WebCam set up. They`ll be just fine for my old man style of driving I`m sure. Solids vs hyd is a lot like carbs vs FI or t-4 vs T-1 issues. Everyone has an opinion. Later. Bob
Capn Skully

Post by Capn Skully »

No worries Bob and Don, I appreciate the info and didn't mean to sound like an a$$. I actually found the info I needed here and other websites.

Thanks again,
"G"
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Just one note...and I am sure you found this already. But...be sure that you know that the adjustment method...of like 1.5-2 turns is wrong in most books. It is 1/2 turn on the hydraulics. Ray