Chop Top Glass Questions

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
NZBug

Chop Top Glass Questions

Post by NZBug »

Hi all,

I was just wondering what others have done for chop top beetles with regard to the cutting of glass.....

Is it possible to cut the stock tempered glass (side, quarters, back windows etc) or is custom made glass required?

I guess another option would be Lexan PC for the side and back windows, but as it is a street car, this would not be legal for a windshield correct?...

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Mark

http://photos.yahoo.com/hotvwnz
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

You can chop safety glass, or get new ones made. Easy and cheap to get new flat glass made. On curved glass, the windshield can be cut with different methods (sand blast, tile saw, grinder, etc). It may take a few windshields before you get a good one done. If you take it to a shop for them to chop noby will guarantee they won't crack a few windshields neither.

On rear or side curved glass, next to impossible to cut. Most people use Lexan or weld in a smaller window section like an Oval window. You could get new ones made but that would be as hard as getting someone that can cut rear glass (next to impossible and more $$). Front windshields has a layer of plastic between the 2 layers of glass, that's why it won't shatter when chopped. Rear and side glass wil shatter in millions of pieces if tried to be chopped.
brokevolk

Post by brokevolk »

Tempered glass will not cut, it will shatter in pieces.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

brokevolk wrote:Tempered glass will not cut, it will shatter in pieces.
That's what I just stated, rear and side glass cannot be cut for the most parts. It is possible but really next to impossible. Windhsields are lamintated so can be cut, it has a sheet of plastic that protects it from being shattered making it very possible to cut. Go to www.jalopyjournal.com and search for chopping glass, you'll get picts, methods and ideas on how to chop glass (sandblasting and wet saw seems like the two most popular methods people try and successful in).
brokevolk

Post by brokevolk »

That's what I just stated, rear and side glass cannot be cut for the most parts. It is possible but really next to impossible

Tempered glass cannot be cut AT ALL....not next to impossible.....IMPOSSIBLE! Tempered glass starts out as a regular piece of annealed glass and is cut to the size or shape needed, then it is run through a tempering oven. After it is tempered it cannot be cut at all.
Marc

Post by Marc »

http://www.newportglass.com/temper.htm
Skip down to the last four paragraphs on the first page (before the chart).
It appears that heat-tempered glass could be re-annealed, cut, and tempered again...but why would you?
There's also chemically tempered glass that can be cut, but it isn't considered safety glass since it breaks into sharp shards like annealed glass does (and it only comes in thin sheets).
brokevolk

Post by brokevolk »

BUT.....The glass in VW's sides and back are Tempered and cannot be cut when chopping the top which is what was asked originally....

(QOUTE)Is it possible to cut the stock tempered glass (side, quarters, back windows etc) or is custom made glass required? (QUOTE)

If you sent this glass off to unTemper it you would spend a ton of money!!!
Wasn't trying to start a fight or anything :wink:
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm not disagreeing with you, just offering a reference to support what you said. Once reannealed it's not tempered glass anymore anyway, right? I said, "why would you?" since it'd be cheaper to start with a plain piece of annealed.
Personally I'd just use Lexan, even for the windshield on a fair-weather car. I used it for windshields on circletrackers (more costly initially but cheaper in the long run than glass, and lighter too) and the only downside was that it needed constant maintenance to polish out windshield wiper streaks. Cutting it is completely DIY, no specialty tools or equipment needed, and nobody's going to shatter it to break in.
Kubel Nick

Post by Kubel Nick »

brokevolk, tempered glass can be cut, but like I stated above it is next to impossible and will be very $$ to do so and even harder to find someone that can. I do not know the methods nor know anyone that knows anyone that can or has done it. But I have seen hot rods with cut down curved sides and rear rempered glass, nothing is impossoble but this is as close to it as it gets.

Like I state on my two post above, next to impossible to cut side and rear glass. Read what I stated, windshield safety glass can be cut but side and rears is next to impossible and easier to get new flat glass cut rather then cutting. Not sure what you're disagreeing with what I said since we're practically saying the same things (side and rear glass can't really be cut).
brokevolk

Post by brokevolk »

Tempered glass cannot be cut while it is in the tempered stage. It is considered a safty glass, and will shatter when the surface is pierced (like when trying to cut it)
I hate to argue with you but your statement that Tempered glass can be cut is simply wrong!

I have managed a family owned automotive glass business since 1987, my grandfather started it in the 40's and my father has taught me everything his father taught him....yada, yada, yada.

I'm sure there are people that have enough money they can afford to have one off templates made and glass cut to fit and then Tempered, but that is very expensive, unless your name is Chip Foose.
Alot of older cars have laminated safety glass in the doors and quarters which can be cut down no problem.
Like I said before, I'm not lookin to fight so I'll shut up now.

End of transmission..............
FITNESSFORYOUTOO

Post by FITNESSFORYOUTOO »

I have done a few chop tops, I make cardboard patterns for the glass then I have a glass shop make the glass and they send it out to be tempered and DOT stamped.

Shop around a lot because if you find the right shop you can save 50% glass shops don't want you to know the glass is really cheap and there is a huge markup.

In the commercial construction field any left over glass gets smashed and thrown out because its too much trouble to take it back to the shop.

The last car I had done with nice tinted glass and since it was factory tinted DOT glass every time the cops would pull me over for window tint film they could not write me a ticket.

FITNESSFORYOUTOO

I forget what size to make the glass, is it the same size as the hole or 1/4" smaller? I guess I can tell somewhat when I look at the cross section of the window rubber.

Can someone with the windows out of their car set one in the hole to see what the gap is?
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

Fitness..

Clarifcation question.

ARe you asking someone to put the glass in a window and then measure the extra between the glass and the metlal lip?

Tim
FITNESSFORYOUTOO

MNAirHead wrote:Fitness..

Clarifcation question.

ARe you asking someone to put the glass in a window and then measure the extra between the glass and the metlal lip?

Tim
Hi Tim, yes I would like to know if when you put the glass up to the window hole if it is the same size as the hole. I cut a piece of window rubber and it looks like the glass may be the same size as the window hole but rubber is flexible so you never know.