Autocraft Case 96.5mm -> 101.6mm

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
67T3

Autocraft Case 96.5mm -> 101.6mm

Post by 67T3 »

Hello,

I did ask this from autocraft already and they said this is doable, I was just wondering is there anyone in this forum who has done this conversion and what was the cost of machining etc. or would be it wiser to try to locate a 101.6mm case in the first place?

I would get an extra 260cc's from with the stroke I'm currently using (2399cc's to 2660cc's) with this change and as I haven't bought my cylinders / pistons yet I would like to study this opportunity as well.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I have a brand new ARPM three piece case with the wide stud pattern forsale if you are interested. 3 liters would be no problem.
Matt Davis

Post by Matt Davis »

Marty wrote:I have a brand new ARPM three piece case with the wide stud pattern forsale if you are interested. 3 liters would be no problem.
How come you aren't running it? Is it the 2pc or the 3pc that had problems?
67T3

Post by 67T3 »

I don't have problems with it as I've just bought the case, rods, crank etc. and then came up with an idea of having a bit more displacement. (And the case is not a new one :) )

The case is a 3 piece one with drysump.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Matt Davis wrote:
Marty wrote:I have a brand new ARPM three piece case with the wide stud pattern forsale if you are interested. 3 liters would be no problem.
How come you aren't running it? Is it the 2pc or the 3pc that had problems?
Its a "spare". My new car has the two piece ARPM in it and it works just fine (with some "massaging").
They both have oil return "issues" inside the case. You need to massage around the lifter bores (cause they are so HUGE) so that oil drains back to the sump faster. They also need the windows opened a bit so they "breathe" better.
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Rocky Jennings can move your studs where ever you want them. How about the 2.9L factory cased t1 he built last year!
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
Muffler Mike

Post by Muffler Mike »

just another thought that i havent seen you bring up yet. HEADS. if you have existing, will they take the wider pattern with out having to completly modify the piss out of them?

Any thing is possible given enough work.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Muffler Mike wrote:just another thought that i havent seen you bring up yet. HEADS. if you have existing, will they take the wider pattern with out having to completly modify the piss out of them?

THAT is the million dollar kicker. Wide stud pattern heads are hard to find nowadays. Especially nice or new ones.
Pat Downs

Post by Pat Downs »

we are in the process of making our comp. elim head with a 4" bore. We are doing it the right way, moving the intake seat and port over .050 so bigger valves can be used. We are also going to add some material to the outside of the intake port so there is room to port the head when bigger valves are used. Things should happen in the next few months.
Muffler Mike

Post by Muffler Mike »

Pat Downs wrote:we are in the process of making our comp. elim head with a 4" bore. We are doing it the right way, moving the intake seat and port over .050 so bigger valves can be used. We are also going to add some material to the outside of the intake port so there is room to port the head when bigger valves are used. Things should happen in the next few months.
cool to see more options out there.
maybe even offer it in black head stud version as well so the end user can do with what they want. such as maybe using a porshe cylinder for example.
67T3

Post by 67T3 »

Muffler Mike wrote:just another thought that i havent seen you bring up yet. HEADS. if you have existing, will they take the wider pattern with out having to completly modify the piss out of them?

Haven't bought the heads yet. Just looking at different options at this point what to do with the bore. It would be rather simple decision to go with what I have if I'd have 96.5mm heads as well :) But good point nonetheless.

Doesn't Autocraft offer 101.6mm heads off the shelf or are they on back order?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Pat Downs wrote:we are in the process of making our comp. elim head with a 4" bore. We are doing it the right way, moving the intake seat and port over .050 so bigger valves can be used. We are also going to add some material to the outside of the intake port so there is room to port the head when bigger valves are used. Things should happen in the next few months.
Cool!

Pat,
Would this mean that you could use a wbx case as well? They have the 'wider'stud pattern as stock, but I'am not sure if its exactly the same. Maybe you know?

Thanks,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Jerry D

Post by Jerry D »

Pat,
Talk about a timely posting, I recently bought a Scat "Killer" case, cut to run 101.6's and my deal on the heads fell thru.
Do you have any specifics as far as available valve sizes?
Thanks for the insight,
Jerry...
tomkisner

Post by tomkisner »

Pat is there any possibility of the wedgeports being worked over to accept the 4" bore? Will the stud spacing represent the wasserboxer at all? That would be awesome 4" bore up to a 90mm crank 2.9 liters with daily driver capabilities. Either way keep up the great work.
Pat Downs

Post by Pat Downs »

We plan on doing some of the C.E heads without stud holes. All of the C.E heads, including the 94mm bore head will have the relocated intake seat. The head will accept a 50mm x 40 mm valves when finished.