Oil pressure/cooling protection

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
lmcchesney

Oil pressure/cooling protection

Post by lmcchesney »

We need experience input. In our rebuild, 2.258engine keeping the stock oilcooler and tin, we are now thinking about keeping the oil pressure stable and have added cooling protection. Loss of oil pressure occurs with hard cornering and can be prevented by the use of a deep sump.
My understanding is that a deep sump 1) does not provide for significant cooling 2) because of its location, is prone to road damage.
External oil coolers provide for increased cooling capability and increased oil volume but I don't believe it prevents loss of oil pressure at the sump level. I noted a mention of an, "Accurapump (sic)", but have not found a site for further information.
Thoughts?
L. McChesney
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

First thing is to add a "tuna can" to the sump plate/screen. Accusumps are found at race sites, thou I cant think of one offhand.

Geoff
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Sump extensions provide a little bit of extra surface area and so will help cool the oil a tiny bit. From what I can tell, the difference is too small to notice. It will increase your oil capacity, which means it will take longer for your oil supply to change temperature--to get up to "normal", to get too hot, to cool off after a drive, etc. An oil cooler, of course, will provide a lot of cooling capacity. And will also increase your oil capacity.

I like the small "tuna can". It holds enough oil for one good sweeper in my experience, or a couple of off-ramps. (Less if you have really grippy tires and suspension; more lateral G's == more oil getting sloshed away from the pickup.) I find that it does not stick down as far as the motor mount bar (side-shift version, at least) does. It does stick down, however, so it is possible to waste your engine by getting high-centered. The full-size deep sump is larger, so damage is more likely.

The Accusump can be mounted just about anywhere. Its capacity is at least one full quart, but larger ones are available. This should keep oil going through the system for significantly longer than the ~1/2 quart of the "tuna can". However, it is somewhat more complicated to install and it costs much more.

The "best" solution to both problems (oil pressure and heat) would be to install both an Accusump and an oil cooler. I am happy with my tuna can, however.

--DD
lmcchesney

Post by lmcchesney »

So it seems I should put the Tuna can on now and plan for the external cooler in the spring. Would that be safe?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Yep! :D :lol: :o
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

I converted mine to dry sump, plenty of extra storage better cooling capacity in the tank and cooler and plenty of volume. Down side is it takes a lot of space for a tank cooler etc....
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Which dry sump pump did you use and where did you purchase it? Are you happy with the setup? Where did you mount your tank?

Thanks,

Randy
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Which dry sump pump did you use and where did you purchase it? Are you happy with the setup? Where did you mount your tank?

Thanks,

Randy
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

I got the setup at a swap meet so im not sure who made it. So far i like it very well but ive only run it on the dyno so far, i will do the install to the buggy this winter if all goes well.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

The dry sump setups that I have seen will not work with stock cooling. (Remember, that was one of the constraints listed in the original note.) The pumps are simply too large to fit between the engine and the fan shroud. Fine for upright-converted engines, not so fine for the rest.

Hot Wheels, will your setup work with stock pancake cooling?

--DD
Hot Wheels

Post by Hot Wheels »

Never owned one with stock tin on it, Mine is a fat upright kit with an underdrive pulley for clearance and to reduce airflow. I think chris folley runs a dry sump system in his 914 doesnt he? Dont remember for sure....
Poor Realist

Post by Poor Realist »

Where do you get these tuna cans, etc? I might have the long sweeper oil starvation problem...
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Most of the mail-order shops that sell Porsche parts. My favorite is listed in my sig, below. I think it would still be my favorite even if I didn't work for them...

--DD
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Finally I get to agree with DD, yep Pelican Parts is a good place to buy them. They ship out parts on time and low shipping costs.

Geoff
KenH

Post by KenH »

http://www.accusump.com/

I and others have had problems make the "tune can" sealing properly - has to do with the angle on the pick-up pipe.

Went to Accusump.

Ken