What ever happend to the Mac Attack VW pan or Funny car.

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Bugzlife

What ever happend to the Mac Attack VW pan or Funny car.

Post by Bugzlife »

as for the Driver, I know he went to top Fuel
is the Mac attack car around, do you know who's driving it?
I think Cory was real hard to beat, and won the majority of the races he entered, is this correct. I know he later had a funny car baised VW.

Quote from his websight: http://www.corymacracing.com/start.asp

"His father Dick McClenathan owned a high-performance Volkswagen shop in Anaheim , Calif. , during Cory's formative years. It was where Cory began to hone his mechanical skills and, ultimately, start his driving career.

" Because of my dad, Volkswagens seemed to be the only vehicle I knew anything about," McClenathan recalled. "I didn't own a car that had a V-8 in it. I was driving a 1960 VW when I turned 16 (1979). It was the only thing I knew . . . and I knew my father and his partner knew how to make them go fast. It was cheaper than working on V-8s.

"I began racing a 1957 VW Oval Window that my dad's partner owned and we won the first two races."

What followed were a VW dragster and Karmann Ghia Flip Top Funny Car. "I ran in the 7-second range with the Funny Car," he said."

Anybody got some pictures of his old carz, or can give me a history lesson, i'd appreciate it.
Bugzlife

Post by Bugzlife »

Holy Sheepsheet, chack out the oldschool photos on this site
http://www.jex.org
I will post a few, step back in time, I am in 80's Heaven!

Can you say Hell Yea! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bugzlife on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Cory still has his funny car.

I think his old man still has the bug also.
Eric Allred

Post by Eric Allred »

I've got the "doubles" of all those photos somewhere here in a shoebox. My dad took most of those pics back in the 80's and about a year or two ago scanned them into his computer and emailed them to Mike Jex (his website). Mike Jex is a great guy, had one helluva scary fast street car back in the mid to late 80's. Everyone's amazed at Kurt Mezgers car, but Mike's was running those same times almost 20 years ago. No joke. Mike's building a new car now, and I can't wait to see it.

The "Hot Flash II" car in those pics was owned by the local VW shop here in SLC (before it shut down). The tilt body was totally cool.
kafer-cup

Post by kafer-cup »

COOL photo's Bugzlife....and oh HELL YEA :lol:
Mark
Muffler Mike

Post by Muffler Mike »

Ill give you a "Hell YEA!!!"
Marty

Post by Marty »

Oh me too!

How about that old pic of Turbo Dave!
MM and TD need to have a match race. hehehe
mudman

Post by mudman »

I was talking to Cory in the pits at the Seattle nats about 10 or so years ago and asked him about the car's. He said with a stern voice *they are not for sale*. Then I proceded to tell him that I was not interested in buying them but was just wondering about them. Then we chatted a bit about VWs and racing. Both VWs and the fuel car's were/are a blast but the money is in the fuel car's, both coming and going.. LOL
Mike
60Sunroof

Post by 60Sunroof »

I here the old mac car is sitting
in Dave and Judy Kwell's back yard?
any one know the truith to this?
Banzai KG

Post by Banzai KG »

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!
I miss Fremont Baylands. Only a 15-20 minute drive from home.
Compared to a 2.5 hour drive to Sac Raceway or 1.5 hour drive to Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway.
oldfart

Post by oldfart »

The old Cory Mac Ghia funny car CHASSIS was sitting around the Kawell shop for years, but it has since been shipping back to Cory's shop in Anaheim.
Badbugtwo

Post by Badbugtwo »

Here's a pic I dug up in my stuff:

It was from a Bug-In in Seattle in the mid 80's. A few years back I visited with Cory in Seattle during their "big race" and got him to autograph the back of the picture.
Jeff Rogers
http://www.badbugracing.com
9.35 @ 145
S/ST 6044

Post by S/ST 6044 »

Awesome picture Jeff !! Thanks for sharing.
altered1

Re:

Post by altered1 »

60Sunroof wrote: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:02 am I here the old mac car is sitting
in Dave and Judy Kwell's back yard?
any one know the truith to this?

the ole mac attack car is sitting across from my blown buggy in a musem in Portland Tenn