how to tell different year rear callipers apart?

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
hoipolloi

how to tell different year rear callipers apart?

Post by hoipolloi »

hey all, i have a set of 197~ 914 rear calipers on my ghia.. i have gone to a local import place (has lotsa vw stuff) twice for replacement pads each set hasn't fit. now that i have the car apart i can take a pad in to see if i can match it but i was wondering if you peeps knew of a way of telling the year.

any slight differences in physical apperance? or where to look up the part number (didn't see much in the way of numbers on them though)... any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

seth

Post by Guest »

The rear calipers on all 4 cylinder 914 cars are identical.
Phil
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

How do they not fit? Lots of the pads out there are for other cars too and the hole pattern on one side needs to be enlarged a little bit to make them work.
Geoff
hoipolloi

Post by hoipolloi »

ahh.. i just figured replacment pads would fit... they are also really fat and won't back off enough to even get both in let alone fit a rotor fit inbetween.. but i guess that's caliper tuning and not pads... . i need to find a book or something that tells how to adjust them.. before i tore this car down they would lock up overnight with the e-brake on.. made getting to class in the morning quite a hassle...

but thanks for your help guys. i'l hunt aroud for some 914caliper guids

seth
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

You need to back the adjuster screws out so the pistons are retracted. After installing the pads, tighten the adjusting screws in so you have .008 Venting clearance on each side. This set the caliper up for the ebrake.
Geoff

Post by Guest »

thanks man.. i can't wait to not have to worry bout stopping once this car is put back together..

seriously though, thanks for both of your times... i'm gonna go file out that hole on the pad

seth
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

The Haynes manual is about $15-$20 most places. Might be worth it if you've got more than just 914 brakes in your car.

--DD