JS Safeguard- Knock retard system

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Okay....It works!!

Shad got a JS Safeguard from aircooled.net for doing alot of his maps ands tuning on his "Modern engine" he got it all dialed in, and decided he didn't need it anymore, so I traded him out of it. I figured it would make setting timing on the dyno alot faster, since getting the timing correct is the hardest part of the sessions.

I have been testing a limited displacement engine (TI) prototype for an overseas replicar company and have one like it in the beetle right now, Friday night I went to the strip and played with the safeguard. To make a long story short, I droped .9 off my ET with the safeguard armed, and pulled a 13.91 with a 1914 in a full bodied 1914 TI powered car (The plague)All night Hondas, Acuras and even a vette were really pissed off. The best one was the 440 Powered Duster that got "Dusted"

If anyone is contemplating the safeguard, it is a sweet set up and easy to hook up, most of all I know it works, as I set my timing past 40 degrees full advance, with it unarmed, but with it armed it will only go a little past 30 before it senses, and retards. It actually retards every cylinder independantly, so it frees up ALOT of power, enough that it can be felt in the drivers seat..

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I am going to buy one soon.

Any comments on how the sensitivity adjustment works? Can you turn it way up and make it "sense" knock even from idle (when not knocking) due to "noise"?

You should try a half tank of 87 fuel and see how the J&S USG responds.

Steve

Steve
MASSIVE TYPE IV

The adjustment is easy I did it like this:

With the timing set per the dyno (26 deg) I revved the engine without making any timing adjustments and adjusted the sensitivity to get rid of piston slap and pushrods etc. Then I ended up jacking the timing to 44 degrees and watched it retard to near 30 with the light, it even cleaned up my idle a bit. I plan on making a harnass for each of my cars so I can transfer the unit and do the same on the dyno...thats why I bought it anyway, plus now "DAN" cannot say we have no way of sensing inaudible ping...

------------------
Jake Raby
Tom Perso

Post by Tom Perso »

<B>plus now "DAN" cannot say we have no way of sensing inaudible ping...
</B>

LOL!!!!

Good job Jake, I do like that setup and it it's nice to see some real results from it. It is on my "wish list" for my motor, but not in the near future.

So many toys, so little money... Image

Later,
Tom
JohnConnolly

Post by JohnConnolly »

Jake,

just curious, did this engine have Chromoly or Al puhrods?

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Chromoly....They were cryoed however and set to zero lash, just so the pushrod could be turned, thats how I adjust 99% of the chromolys....The Aluminum pushrods would be better, they are quiet as a mouse..

------------------
Jake Raby
Tate

Post by Tate »

I bought one of these, can't wait to get my motor in the car and try it out. I am going to run a 2275 with WEb 121/125 with high compression on pump gas with the Safeguard, then put in some race gas for the track. I have talked to John about this motor, and with the Safeguard I think I'll be able to run it on pump gas. I am just waiting on my chassis brace from TGFab, then in it goes.
Joe Goldthwaite

Post by Joe Goldthwaite »

How does it know which cylinder is firing? Does it use it's sensors to listen or do you have to have a different ignition system so it can tell the active cylinders?
Shad Laws

Post by Shad Laws »

Hello-

How does it know which cylinder is firing?

It doesn't. It just knows that you have four cylinders, so every fourth pulse belongs to the same cylinder. It'll internally label a 1, 2, 3, and 4, but it has no idea how those actually match up to the true #1, #2, #3, and #4.

Take care,

------------------
Shad Laws
LN Engineering
http://www.lnengineering.com
BergRace

Post by BergRace »

So this must be a direct fire(or waste spark) setup then, will not work with a dizzy?
How else could it dial back a cylinders timing seperatly?

------------------

P.J.Berg.
Joe Goldthwaite

Post by Joe Goldthwaite »

Ah... Thank you John. The simple way you put it made it click and make sense. (Not that I don't appreciate Shad's answers. They're always informative.)

Does the box include the knock sensor? Where do you mount it on a Type 1?
JohnConnolly

Post by JohnConnolly »

simpleman's details.

the Safeguard is installed with a hot and ground, ignition in (points or trigger), ignition out (to coil or CDI), and knock sensor wire.

I mount the knock sensor in the case. In fact, every engine I build I go ahead and pre-drill the bellhousing for the knock sensor, for "future use" (that's how much I believe in it). It takes 5 minutes, and saves hassle later on.

The kit does include a knock sensor. I am getting extra sensors so you can put the sensor in each engine, and just swap out the CPU (it's only a one wire connection to the sensor). It's EASY to install.

If it senses detonation, it delays the trigger to THAT cylinder's firing device (coil or CDI) next time around.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc
wilson

Post by wilson »

Hey - where can one find more information on this safeguard> Who is the company making it?

thanks - Wilson
marco the steem engine

Post by marco the steem engine »

I want one!!!
But i have wasted spark DIS system, when is the new one comeing out?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

would this work well in a turbo application?? sounds like it...