Side Shift - Rear Bushing enhancements - Dave Darling

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
vwduud

Post by vwduud »

I just swapped from tail to side shift, and can now enjoy driving my 914 (it does have a second gear!). I replaced every bushing, and got the linkage feeling pretty good. While adjusting the valves today, I was checking other items, while under the car. I moved the shift rod around, and did notice quite a bit of lateral movement, where it passes through the rear bushing, at the transmission. In another post, Dave Darling writes:

"Most of the extra work involves the "castellated" bushing in the side-shifter console. It often moves around in its hole in the flange, and the rear shift rod is often a loose fit in it. There are various things that can be done to the shift rod, the bushing, and the flange. The idea is to have the rod slide smoothly but with zero slop in the bushing, and to have the bushing stay put in the flange."

Dave, or anyone, what are the "various things" I can do to tighten this up?
Spin'n Wheel

Post by Spin'n Wheel »

I recall there was a solid bronze bushing someone offered in the past that was held in place by a circlip on the back side. I never saw one but that would fix the slop and virtually eliminate the wear.

R.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

You can do that. You can wrap tie-wraps around the bushing so it fits tighter. You can expoxy the bushing into place. You can use an old bushing as a form (put some grease on the OD of it to act as a release agent) and use expoxy to fill the hole in to where a new bushing would fit tight. You can use a punch to stake the metal near the bushing hole.

There are other things--use your imagination and you can come up with a few.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
vwduud

Post by vwduud »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spin'n Wheel:
<B>I recall there was a solid bronze bushing someone offered in the past that was held in place by a circlip on the back side. I never saw one but that would fix the slop and virtually eliminate the wear.

R. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone know where I can find this bronze bushing? I browsed Pelican briefly, but did not see it.
Mark the canuck

Post by Mark the canuck »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwduud:
<B> Anyone know where I can find this bronze bushing? I browsed Pelican briefly, but did not see it.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make my own bushings on my lathe, the big problem with a bronze bushing is:

1/ The shift rod shaft wears so that the bronze bushing if done to spec. will be sloppy to start with. So I make my bushing undersize, clean up and polish the shift rod, then I hone the bushing to fit.

2/ The hole in the housing wears, again causing slop. So I also make my bushing a bit oversize and I ream the hole to fit.

Doing this my bushings work quite well and should last a long, long time. BUT I don't think any generic size bronze bushing will be any better than the std. plastic version.

I've been thinking of trying to make my bushings out of UHMW plastic to see if they could be more installer friendly. Maybe someday, if I ever have time.
BenI

Post by BenI »

I'm planning on making my own bronze bushings. What kind of clearence between the shift linkage rod and the bushing works best? I am making custom fit bushings for the fire wall and the rear on the tranny, and plan to fix them so they do not move. Thanks for any guidance...
Ben
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

GPR sells em. If it fits too loose just knurl it a little bit or braze new metal onto the shift rod. To knurl it I use a center punch and tap it a few times collapsing the metal around the rod.
If the aluminum housing is ovaled weld in some new aluminum and redrill the hole to fit the bushing.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.1L
www.914Club.com member
porsche_914_freak

Post by porsche_914_freak »

if it is bronze, cant you braze it into place?
to me that would seem the most solid way.
vwduud

Post by vwduud »

Would you happen to have GPR's phone number? Thanks - Jim
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

Yep, GermanParts&Restoration-1-800-321-5432 ask for Dave.

Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.1L
www.914Club.com member
John Kelly

Post by John Kelly »

Some bronze bushings are oillite bushings and will probably not braze because of oil contamination.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
porsche_914_freak

Post by porsche_914_freak »

you could quite possibly degrease the bushings before brazing. and once brazed in, re oil them up.

i dont know enough about oilite bushings to know if this is possible or not however.
Bleyseng

Post by Bleyseng »

You don't have to braze the bronze bushing in as it has a means via the c-clip to hold it in. People are refering to the slop still there with even the bronze bushing. Most shift rod are worn!! suprise! So there is slop that needs to be cured. With the bronze bushing atleast once you get it right it stays right as it doesn't wear out in six months.....
Geoff
r_towle

Bushings

Post by r_towle »

I went with Brass, cheaper and easily available.

Check this link to see how the firewall was fastened.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?a ... 4815a83574

Pelican had the rear bronze one for the side shifter when I did this...
Call them, not everything is on the web site.