914 Vs Z3, 911,

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
Dyno Soar

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Dyno Soar »

Hey chaps, just dusted off a Poofter in a Z3 through a series of Roundabouts and tight turns. He couldn't believe it when he caught me up at the lights.

Did in a 80's 911 aswell on the way back.

Do you think that these guys are just crap drivers or is the 914 that good? Image

My car handles really well, Long live 914!!
Piledriver

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Piledriver »

"Do you think that these guys are just crap drivers or is the 914 that good? "

Yes. (Probably a combination of both)

The 914 driver tends to be more willing push it to 9/10ths or 10/10ths as the car is so easy to drive and predictable at its limits.

Having the motor in the right place helps...
sey

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by sey »

Ha ha -Poofter in a Z3.....they ARE hairdresser cars!! Like the new Z4 though, it's a bit more butch.
I reckon *some* 911 drivers are weary about driving their cars fast. A friend of mine at work bought an SC -lovely car- but he managed to swap ends in a mild roundabout. He sold it soon afterwards and bought a Lotus Elise (mid-engine).
I reckon the value thing must enter the equation, unless you drive a GT or a six then our 914s' probably aren't worth as much
as a 911. ( Recently I've seen several Sixs' for sale that are more expensive than their rear engined stable-mates )
Still I always achieve a nice sense of smugness when leaving a chestpiece chariot for dust in the twisty bits!!
Al, I'm glad to see you're driving your 914 in the manor these machines should be.
Dyno -(XR3i)-soar 8^>
Dyno Soar

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Dyno Soar »

I would class my driving as brisk but not dangerous.. Hope you guys don't think I am loony Tunes driver. I keep it pretty safe, major roads only with no padestrians.

Still trying to resist the dark side of the force and limit the rev range to below 5k. Image

I don't think that the 14 out classed them that much, i reckon they were just crap drivers. Any monkey can make their motor go Vroom vroom, all you need is a lead foot. Now getting a corner right requires some thought.
if the situation was reversed I think I could have put up a better show.

Sey: Take that bloody XR3i comment back! Don't you know its a crime to Covet thy neighbours MG!! You need to shake that sad fetish of yours. Image

Anyone else dusted modern machinery off?

Ohh before I go I once had a race with my Boss in his Boxter 'S' through London around Marble arch to our Park Lane head office.
I was in a BMW Mini Cooper, sliding it alittle around the Queens gaff, through the roundabouts (What speed camera officer?) storming on to Park Lane home of McLaren showroom and the like.
Beat the pants off him. Fraggle didn't know how to corner.

Yes I know.. I think I am Fangio. But I know alas I am not.
Just Bloody Senna re-incarnated thats all. Image
sey

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by sey »

Al, I take it back....no Aircooled man would ever consider an XR3i !
Hey thats not just any MGB, no its a lovley pukey blue rubber bumper model with orange/brown striped cloth seats and "rostyle" wheels. Mmm-mm
johnhora

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by johnhora »

Hey Dyno...

914s are that good!

I can take any 911 on the track in the corners....on the straights I am toast.

Engine placement is the key...just ask Mr. Shoemacher where his engine is located. Not ahead or after the wheels as most cars. Just right there in between the axles.

Be careful on the roundys...

The 914 can be driven to the limit but when it does go it is like a top...just spins while moving in the direction of travel. Fun on a track with plenty of run off....

In the roundy....don't find out....take that 914 to a track event and have a blast.

Regards,

John
Dyno Soar

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Dyno Soar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sey:
<B>Al, I take it back....no Aircooled man would ever consider an XR3i !
Hey thats not just any MGB, no its a lovley pukey blue rubber bumper model with orange/brown striped cloth seats and "rostyle" wheels. Mmm-mm</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah real nice. Image
Dyno Soar

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Dyno Soar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnhora:
<B>Hey Dyno...

914s are that good!

I can take any 911 on the track in the corners....on the straights I am toast.

Engine placement is the key...just ask Mr. Shoemacher where his engine is located. Not ahead or after the wheels as most cars. Just right there in between the axles.

Be careful on the roundys...

The 914 can be driven to the limit but when it does go it is like a top...just spins while moving in the direction of travel. Fun on a track with plenty of run off....

In the roundy....don't find out....take that 914 to a track event and have a blast.

Regards,

John

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I am getting over the initial exitement about how well this car handles.

I am definatly going to take some good advice and quit the street racing career before I hurt myself, my 14, or anyone else.
I am gonna sign up for Porsche trackday and find out what my car can really do.

sey

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by sey »

Dyno...track days are a must, I have done a couple at Castle Combe Curcuit which is just up the road....gives you loads of confidence in cornering in a pretty safe environment.
We'll have to get Bruce to organise a track day for the 914 club.
drummerboytom

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by drummerboytom »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sey:
We'll have to get Bruce to organise a track day for the 914 club.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be up for that .
If i have car that is !! :-(
sey

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by sey »

Hello Tom, how bad is the car now you've had time to assess the situation?

When you said it was T boned is that twatted from the side?
Dyno Soar

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Dyno Soar »

James, let us know when any events are and I'll sign up and come along. Image

Oh by the way I bought a Porsche rear gold script from Porsche main dealers and managed to get a set of keys for the 14 while I was at it. The still do them.. Gold is the correct colour for my car I am told, its 72.

Do you have the rear script on your car?
How do you space out the letters so they are even.. I am sure when the script arrives I'll work it out. But you got any tips?

knabini

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by knabini »

i did bmw 3 stries on the light, left turn - he probebly pissed in his pants - and i did it very noisy )))))))))))))

I'm so rough!!
HotRod

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by HotRod »

I think if you know how to drive a 911 properly, it handles, well maybe not 100 percent, but 95 percent as well as a 914...the advantage, of course, is the additional power that a 911 has...the 914 is much more forgiving, and can be driven at close to the limit by a much less experienced driver...a 911 takes a significant amount of practice to drive at the limit. I race a 914, but would prefer a 911 (primarily be cause I have much more experience in a 911 and love inducing the throttle lift oversteer and having the power to correct it with throttle).
Olav A.

914 Vs Z3, 911,

Post by Olav A. »

I have a 914-6 that I recently put a 3.2L engine in. Now-that-car-moves. It's a whole different feeling, it's amazing. I can toast all cars in the twistys and then in the straight the car is a rocket I can't believe it. Everyone should experience a 914 with a 3.2 liter engine. really.