is there another way to change front shocks other that pelic

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
knabini

Post by knabini »

I've heard there's a way to change them without removing hub/bearing (Pelican's way seems too much to me ). Is it possible? Any ideas/suggestions??? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.
sacook

Post by sacook »

I recently installed koni shocks from Pelican, and did remove the hub and bearings. Actually it wasn't that bad a job. I decided to change the ball joints while I was at it.. Man that was an SOB! Even with the "special tool," that broke.. I had to cut them off with my dremel tool.

good luck
knabini

Post by knabini »

My life gets even more excited.....
johnhora

Post by johnhora »

If you are talking about just replacing the inserts.
All that is necessary is to jack up car, place on stands, remove wheel, remove nut from shock top, pull strut downward from body mount, lay strut out to side, remove cover, unscrew top, pull out insert, do over in reverse. Support the strut and don't let it just flop aroung as it puts astrain on the brake hose. Not hard to do. Will need the strut top removal tool or can use a large channel lock pliers or pipe wrench.
email me if you have any questions

John
knabini

Post by knabini »

So, this is how it's done.... Thank you, John. (I really don't need to change the wheel bearing, for there is not play)...
sacook

Post by sacook »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knabini:
My life gets even more excited.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol...yep that olde special tool thing again...
maf 914

Post by maf 914 »

Removing the shocks with the strut attached sounds like the way to go if shocks are the only problem.

I did a complete front end disassembly when I replaced my shock inserts, but I wanted to include new rotors, bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. I used my "special" Porsche tool, sometmes called a pipe wrench, to remove the lower ball joint grooved nut and the upper strut collar. Breaking the ball joints and rod ends loose were the tough parts. I also replaced the sway bar bushings. This work really improved the front end handling and steering feel. If your car has a lot of miles you might consider doing this while the front end is apart.

Mike
kevin powers

Post by kevin powers »

pelicans method may seem "wordy" but it's the only way to do it that's time effective. if you can print out that thread and take into your garage it is very, very easy.
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

The procedure is for replacing the whole strut. If you're just replacing the shock absorber (the strut insert), then Jon Hora's method is the way to go.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
knabini

Post by knabini »

Thank you all. DONE!!!
Mark the canuck

Post by Mark the canuck »

I just did mine, no problems changing with struts in, but on the right side I had to un-bolt the caliper and remove the brake hose clips to get an extra inch.
Would you beleive 78K with the orginal Boge's! Still had the factory blob of paint or sealent so the dealer knew if the shocks had been changed. They were shot, now it sits an inch higher with the Bilstiens. So don't forget to adjust your ride height.