drilling rotors

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
John Massengale

drilling rotors

Post by John Massengale »

OK, I wanna put my 911 5 bolt Fuch wheels on my 914. I just turned the rotors and next I want to put them on the rotary table on the mill to drill for the 5 lug 911 wheels. I am a little concerned about the bosses on the rotors, they are designed for the 4 bolts and have gussets where the 4 bolts are. When I drill the 5 new holes I will be drilling into areas with less Cast Iron. Is that ok?, Should I use a press in stud with a backing to it?, Or can I tap them to use screw in studs?. And where should I get these studs.?, Also is the radius for the 4 bolt and the 5 bolt the same?, Should I just index at one hole, and move 1/5 around and drill another? Thanks, John
Dave_Darling

drilling rotors

Post by Dave_Darling »

Press-in studs. Spot-face the back side around the hole so the lip on the stud has a good flat perpendicular place to seat. Don't use screw-in studs.

The pattern for the 4-bolt wheels is 4 x 130mm, the five-bolts are 5 x 130mm.

Using 911 studs is easy, and you use 911 lug nuts which have the proper curve to hold 911 wheels.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
John Massengale

drilling rotors

Thanks for the advice Dave Darling, I was looking in the Pelican parts web pages and couldn't find the Studs, Do you know where I can find them?.and the nuts? Thanks, John
Dave_Darling

drilling rotors

Post by Dave_Darling »

Just 'cause it isn't in the catalog doesn't mean we don't carry it.

Call 888/280-7799 and talk to the sales guys. If we can't get it (unlikely!) they will probably have an idea where it can be found.

--DD

------------------

John Massengale

drilling rotors

OK, priced it all out, for all the studs and the cheapest Lug Nuts, it would be a total of $150 plus shipping. Porsche stuff is a lot more spendy then VW stuff HUH?
Bleyseng

drilling rotors

Post by Bleyseng »

Boy, go get used lug nuts. I went to the junkyard here that has Porsche stuff and paid $20 for a set (all4 wheels) of the aluminum black nuts in good shape.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.0L
Bruce2

drilling rotors

Post by Bruce2 »

John, call up Cal Imports for the studs, they are much cheaper. Then go visit Campbell Nelson for the original lug nuts. They have a box you can dig through for good ones.
John Massengale

drilling rotors

Thanks guys for the $ saving ideas. I will deffinatly be working something out, got some plans, John, 5 lugs are cool huh?, I think they will look great. I guess I should ask this question, I will be putting Fake FUCH 15 by 7 wheels on it, Do you think I will have to roll the fenders a lot?, Or will they fit under?, Tires are 195-50-15 fronts and 205-60-15 rears. I know some guys like spacers but I figured at 7 inches wide they would stick out enuf. I also really like the way that black 914 on the cover of my book looks, it has black FUCHes and a real nice fender lip, looks like the edges were rolled out a little but not huge. You know the book I mean,? "how to modify your 914" book. IT looks sooo SWEET!, I wanna paint mine silver tho, John
Dave_Darling

drilling rotors

Post by Dave_Darling »

It's gonna be tough to fit 195s on 7" rims. One person I know tried 195/50s, and they just would not fit. So they had to go with 195/60s.

Depending on the exact backspacing of the wheels, and the exact 914 you have (they vary from car to car), the 7s may or may not work with 205s on them with only minimal fender rolling.

Measure what you have currently, and measure what you want to go to. You shouled be able to figure out if the new wheels/tires will hit the inner or outer fenders by comparing them to what you currently have.

--DD

------------------

John Massengale

drilling rotors

Thanks Dave, good thinking, as for the tires, I have the 195/50s mounted and I was driving around with them on my bug, the tires fit real good, and look low frofile. i baught the 205s from a guy I know, But he had them on a set of 15 by 7 centerlines, and that is what my FUCHes are, figured they would fit, I will measure everything, you guys know the book I am talking about, I would be willing to do my fenders like that balck one, John