street machine feature

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
uk_luke

street machine feature

Post by uk_luke »

HA! well, not quite a feature, but it's probably the closest I'm gonna get...!!!

any comments?

------------------
James Adams

street machine feature

Post by James Adams »

Nice job getting published!
BTW, those look like Mahles.
Dave_Darling

street machine feature

Post by Dave_Darling »

Good eye, James!! They do indeed.

My mental "key" to differentiate the two: Pedrinis have four "spokes" that run straight to the bolt-holes, and four that go in between them. Mahles have all eight "spokes" running in between the bolt-holes.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
Piledriver

street machine feature

Post by Piledriver »

Do you have a hi-res pic posted somewhere?

I'm trying to decide whether to go polished, hammerite, or revert the car back to the original Can-Am white and orange setup.

(Mahles)
uk_luke

street machine feature

Post by uk_luke »

yes folks, your eyes are not to be decieved, they are Mahles, but who am I to critisize Street Machine after putting my picture in!!!

As for the pictures, try my site www.ninefourteen.co.uk. Failing that, I would be more than happy to send you some if you give me your e-mail.

And by the way, super-polishing my wheels was the best thing I ever did, it transformed my car totally. Everyone who knew the car before said "are they new wheels?".

And the best bit - they are low maintanence. I thought they'd be a nightmare, but one wash with car shampoo wax stuff every week, and they stay sparkly!!

laters,

Luke.

------------------
uk_luke

street machine feature

Post by uk_luke »

HEY, 'can-am orange and white'...?

I GOTTA see that!!!!!

please?

------------------
JmuRiz

street machine feature

Post by JmuRiz »

Orange and white is the original color huh? Does that mean you have one of the rare "deamsicle" limited edition 914s? If you do, I'd say keep it/restore it to original condition!

Nathan

PS: those fully polished wheels do give it a very diffent look, nice!

[This message has been edited by JmuRiz (edited 08-28-2002).]
uk_luke

street machine feature

Post by uk_luke »

hhmmmm I'm asking the same questions as Nathan.... it sounds cool.

where are the pictures, piledriver???!!!

(please)

and cheers about the wheels, nathan. I love 'em too... Image

luke.

ps. I got an e-mail from Street Machine saying they can't feature my car, 'cause it's stock, but they will put me onto 911 & Porsche World.

Ooohhhhh goody......

------------------
www.ninefourteen.co.uk
Piledriver

street machine feature

Post by Piledriver »

Sadly a PO thought Corvette silver looked better than that "funny looking White/orange paint job..."

Has the F/R sway bars, some little odd stuff that may be normal (center storage thingie between the seats, with a padded lid)

Silver DOES look good (if the paint job didn't suck)... Just a shame.

Still white underneath, rockers orange, black on top, paint chips don't lie:-( The Mahles have been sandblasted.

Still has the original front spoiler amazingly (or a _really_ beefy aftermarket one, looks like it has 1/4" steel rods molded into it on the back)

I actually sorta like the green/yellow combo better, wasn't there 3 or 4 different versions?

I don't have a link handy, but the body should be white, the rockers/rear valence and (I think) the front spoiler and "PORSCHE" inverse scripting on the sides should all be orange, along with the wheels, ecxept for the outer edge of the rims, silver. (I'm not certain the orange inverse "PORSCHE" logos on the sides are std from the factory, but I think they were)

[This message has been edited by Piledriver (edited 08-29-2002).]
Dave_Darling

street machine feature

Post by Dave_Darling »

Black with yellow trim, "Bumble Bee". Seems to be the most common.
White with orange trim, "Creamsicle". Quite a bit less common.
White with green trim. No nickname. Seems to be fairly rare.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
JmuRiz

street machine feature

Post by JmuRiz »

Ok, I think I would have to try and restore that car the original form. Then again I am doing nothing like that on mine, but mine was non-original to begin with (so why not go all out huh?) Image Sounds like that's a pretty orig car, aside from the paint. I'd have to say the front spoiler and the center storage are correct. It's your car so do what you want but my $.02 say to make it like it once was. Good luck in whatever you decide

Nathan
Piledriver

street machine feature

Post by Piledriver »

That is my current evil plan.

All it takes is time and bags of money, as we all know too well.

Here is a link to a pic of a car that is close--- Mine does not have the vinyl on the roll bar, and the rockers are a really bright orange underneath, not red.
http://www.dgi.net/914/carads/4carads3.html

Ephry73

street machine feature

Post by Ephry73 »

On th topic of the wheels. What tires are you running with the rims? I was thinking of Polishing a set of those, and then having them "baked" clear, so no wash needed....\

On a KG though

Piledriver

street machine feature

Post by Piledriver »

I *Think* those would work OK on a ghia, the offset is farther "in" than the usual bug rims, they are 5.5s, I am running 185-65 Michelins, but if you are more interested in meat on the ground, a bug could likely run 215-60s or 50 on them without clearance issues, just have flexi sidewalls. (ok for drags, not ok to me on a 914, big sidewalls make the transitions like mud)

On a 914 with the bug chromies, 195/65s work well, just fit inside the rear fenders, a little tight on a SB if you lower it up front, rear is fine. (The rims would probably be PERFECT for a SB)

On a ghia, I'm not sure how much room you have to go "in", the 195 or 185/65s are virtually the same height as stock, and look/work great on the 914.

uk_luke

street machine feature

Post by uk_luke »

not sure whether you were talking to me about the tyre sizes, so I'll tell you mine aswell anyway... they are 195/60/15's

------------------
www.ninefourteen.co.uk