Max tire size for non flared fenders.

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Ok,
I'm almost reay to get my 73 2.0 on the road. I stripped the original engine down to a long block and resealed it, no head leaks, no worn guides, 90K on it and never been apart.....I'm gonna drive it 100% stock till it grenades, then install one of my 2270 engines..

So..... I want some wider tires for the 2.0 rims, mine are in sweet shape...Whats the biggest I can go for a nice look and some better handling? I would like to keep the heighth, to keep my stockish final drive.

What do you think??

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
kevin powers

Post by kevin powers »

jake, presuming you are running oe wheels with correct backspacing you could go as big as 205/60 15,but you may encounter some wheel well rubbing at full turn. i'm currently running 195/60 yokohama as301's.nice tire that rides comfortably,is relatively quiet,works well in all conditions,they didn't throw the speedo off a whole lot and are wearing well. they also fill up the wheel well nicely.out the door at discount tire at about $250 for four.you will probably get a gazzilion suggestions. i trust that in time this will be the test mule of the 2270 w/cis. i pity the boxster and 911 owners in ga.
maf 914

Post by maf 914 »

Jake,

This is an often discussed question over on the Pelican Forum. The max sizes typically recommended are 195/60 or 65 and 205/60 if you want near correct diameter. I use 205/60x15 Yoko AVS Intermediates on 6 1/2" Revolutions with 5 1/8" backspacing, which I think is 1/4" more backspacing than stock. My tires will scrub the inner front fender well at absolute full lock, but have never done so in normal driving. The rears clear the outer fender without mods. My tires are getting pretty old but still have plenty of tread. They have been very good as far as I'm concerned. They work well and look good too. Major improvement over my previous Pirellis 185/70s.

I say go with 205/60s. There is still a big choice of great tires available in this size. The ony reservation, noted in some posts, is that 914s apparently have some variation in body fit and occasionally a rear fender is a little tighter than others, resulting in possible tire rubbing. If possible test fit a 205/60 before buying the set.

Mike

[This message has been edited by maf 914 (edited 06-08-2002).]
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Thanks guys, I was thinking that the 206/60 would barely fit...Thats probably what I'll go with..Thanks again.

Yep, this one is a test mule for CIS, but first I'm gonna driveit 100% stock to gather data to compare the CIS to when I do the install sometime next year.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Ryan72

Post by Ryan72 »

Stock or not, they are still a blast to drive. I think if these things ran on a 2 stroke dirtbike motor they would still be fun, 0-60 in 5.6 minutes, hell ya.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I agree with the previous posts. The 205/60's should just fit, on the factory alloys. If the rears rub slightly you can roll a wood baseball bat between the tire and fender to make the adjustment. I have a set of Yoko AVS Intermediates on my 914 street/race car - 195/55, which are quite short.

------------------
Chris F.

www.tangerineracing.com
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

I am running 205-50 Kumhos on Mahle rims. On hard left turns with warm tires, I rubbed the right rear tire on the inside wheel well. I have just installed new trailing arm bushings, but will also be using a 1/8 inch spacer behind the rear wheels and a 1/4 behind the fronts.

Does anyone else use spacers?
HotRod

Post by HotRod »

You have to have the correct backspacing to use the 205/60s, I had a set of ATS wheels that worked perfect...don't think you can do away with the rubbing using stock wheels.
Don914

Post by Don914 »

If you want to get the maximum tire width under stock fenders, you can try a new set of Revolution wheels. They are the only company I know of that make wheels that are designed specifically for the 914's odd offset. There are come people that have gotten 225/50 under stock fenders ( http://members.rennlist.com/mlitherland/914.html ) with their rims. See a post by someone from the Revolution Wheels company a little further down in the 914 forum to check for their current sale price (they aren't cheap, but are supposedly a good wheel and a good company).

Hope this helps,

Don
Rleog

Post by Rleog »

Welcome to 914s; not that you've been any stranger to them. I feel a lot better knowing that you'll be doing twisties flat out in the 914, rather than in the bluebonic. I've 195 x 55's on Fuchs; they don't rub, but it looks like there's room for 205 x 60's in there.

Bob G
MASSIVE TYPE IV

I've been working on 914 engines for a long time, infact thats what got me into TIVs from the beginning...

I have not gotten that much wrench time on other parts of the car.....
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

The 195/65s are close to the stock overall diameter. The 205/60s are close as well. 205s fit on stock wheels under stock fenders on most but not all 914s. 195s fit pretty much on all 914s on stock wheels.

Expect a little rubbing on the inner front fender aft of the shock tower. This will happen when the steering wheel is at full lock. Most people just live with it.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
Eddie Brown

Post by Eddie Brown »

Jake, why don't you post a picture of your 914?. We'd love to see it!.

Take care,

Eddie.
shawn

Post by shawn »

do you think that a 205/60 will fit on a riviera wheel with the fender lip folded flat?
shawn
Dave_Darling

Post by Dave_Darling »

Tough to tell with Rivs. If they're Bug-offset Rivs, nothing wider than 165s will fit. With 914 Rivs, 195s should fit but 205s generally don't. You can mash the fender lip, but I think (not sure) that wouldn't quite be enough. The 72+ cars have cut-down fender lips in the back anyway, so you don't gain that much clearance...

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com