rear calipers

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
2088 bob

rear calipers

Post by 2088 bob »

what would be a fair price to pay for a set of (rebuildable) rear 914 calipers
Zeke

rear calipers

Post by Zeke »

Not much. If you lived near me, I'd give you mine. Seriously, $5-10 USD each. And for that little money I'll probably throw them away.
Racer Chris

rear calipers

Post by Racer Chris »

Hey Zeke,

If they're truly rebuildable you shouldn't throw them away. Those are in short supply (at least on the east coast). AFAIK companies that rebuild them don't have any supply of cores to work with. AA sells nearly every piece needed to repair them, including o-rings so you can split them to remove the guts and hone the cylinders. I know, a lot of people upgrade, but the easiest way to retain a parking brake is with the original calipers, as much trouble as they are to maintain.

Chris F.
Zeke

rear calipers

Post by Zeke »

Chris, I have put parts up on a thing called recyler.com here in CA. Its also a printed paper in the style of AutoTrader. Couldn't get $50 for the whole stock front end, dust cover to dust cover w/ wheels and tires bolted up! Threw the stock wheels and tires away, dismantled the front end and have struts w/ rotors, calipers, control arms laying in the dirt outside. Nobody wants this stuff here.

[This message has been edited by zeke27 (edited 03-25-2002).]
kevin powers

rear calipers

Post by kevin powers »

amen to that zeke, i've got a garage and another storage area full.used part vendors seem to do a booming business.i think they must make the majority of their profit in the over priced handling.
Dave_Darling

rear calipers

Post by Dave_Darling »

There's a real difference between front and rear calipers. The fronts are relatively-easy upgrades, with lots of parts available and standard rebuild techniques working very well.

The rears don't have any really easy upgrades that keep the parking brake. That keeps demand high, relatively. Also, Porsche's official stance has always been that the rears are not rebuildable, you need to throw them away and get new ones--which decreased the supply when people followed that. Parts are not so easily available, plus there are "extra" things that may have to be done to the rears for a rebuild. That reduced the supply even more.

So the rears are less common than the fronts, and the demand for them is higher. The fronts may not be worth that much (lots of people converting to five-bolt with 911 front brakes) but the rears are still worth something.

How much? Good question.....

As for the "shipping costs" comment, I will repeat what I said to Chris a while back. There are enough places out there with 914 parts that there is no reason to do business with a place that you hate. GPR carries used parts, as does All914/High Performance House, and PartsHeaven, and a number of other places. I have dealt with all three of the above for used parts and been pleased with every single transaction.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
Racer Chris

rear calipers

Post by Racer Chris »

Dave,

Do those places, or PP, sell the little internal parts for the rear calipers? I only mentioned the other company because they're the only ones I have seen list them in their catalog. I have repaired several rear calipers and it is nice to have a source for those internal components and seals.

Thanks,
Chris F.
Dave_Darling

rear calipers

Post by Dave_Darling »

Some of the internal bits are NLA. If you know what bits you need, you can try calling any one of those places to ask if they have or can get the parts.

I know that GPR carries the "extra" seals that don't come with the rear caliper rebuild kit. I heard that we were supposed to start carrying them as well, but I don't know if we currently are or not.

Some of the hardware is hard to find. (E.g., the plugs/caps for the adjusters.) Best you can do is call around and ask.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com