NINEONEFOURUM......

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
stevestromberg

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by stevestromberg »

Here it is 914 fans lets get posting. My 914 is 73 2.0 Silver with black interior,All the Factory Options including A/C,I have the Mahle wheels on it.Steve
fastmatt1

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by fastmatt1 »

what are those wheels worth? I have six that came with my notch.
stevestromberg

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by stevestromberg »

They run from $50. to $250.each. depending on Condition. Steve
fastmatt1

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by fastmatt1 »

thanks Steve. one more question- have you ever seen a set fully polished?/ are they polishable?
stevestromberg

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by stevestromberg »

Sure, send them to the bumper shop, Mine charges $65.00 a wheel. Steve
Superman

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Superman »

I know the motor is VW Type IV and the suspension is modeled after the 911 but was the body made by VW or Porsche? Somebody needs to let Steve Arndt know about this forum, he just got a 914.
Aircooled_vw

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Aircooled_vw »

914 bodies were built by Karmann. Same as Scirocco, VW verts, etc.

Rick
Steve Arndt

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Steve Arndt »

Hi there guys!

Last week I bought a 76 914 2.0. Real complete and original.

It has a little rocker panel rust on one side, B pillar rust, and a broken trunk hinge mount point. Have any of you guys fixed the trunk hinge mount before? I would entertain tips and tricks! Image

I am taking it to an Autocross this Sunday; going to see if I can make the doors not close properly again!

If I keep the car, I'm going to trick it out with flares, 16" Fuchs, 911S front suspension, 5 lug conversion on the back, 3 liter six, Autopower cage, etc. It is easy to spend 20 grand on one of these cars, but right now it makes a nice little run around car during the buildup of my killer Käfer.
Steven

Steve
Steve Arndt

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Steve Arndt »

914s were build in the VW factory.
914-6 models were built at the Porsche factory. A neat little trivia tidbit.
Steven

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Superman:
I know the motor is VW Type IV and the suspension is modeled after the 911 but was the body made by VW or Porsche? Somebody needs to let Steve Arndt know about this forum, he just got a 914.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
KarmannKid

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by KarmannKid »

The 914 was built by Karmann at there factory for VW. The chassis was then delivered to Porsche to create the 914-6. Porsche competiton department also had a part number for the 914 chassis bare, way back when.
Bleyseng

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Bleyseng »

The 914 was assembled by Karmann for a joint venture company between Porsche and VW. Porsche bought out VW in 1973 if I remember right. 914's sold in the US were sold as Porsches, 914's elsewhere in the world were sold as VW's. Here in the US there was a separate dealer network even. Check out the FAQ's at http://www.dgi.net/914/ written by Dave Darling.
I have a 76 914 2.0l Nepal Orange Tan interior w/both option packages. I now run a 74 2.1L GA code motor, D jet with the same year SSI exhaust system.
Steve, order a new trunk hinge from Pelican Parts.com and weld it in. Its pretty easy, in fact Pelican Parts has a tech article on how to do it. Just be careful of those damn trunk springs! They can really hurt you.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.0L
Steve Arndt

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Steve Arndt »

I took off my trunk lid, removed the spring, and the hinge, and welded the pivot point back onto the inner panel. The trunk now fits better than new. However, what should I do to reinstall the spring? I have the right spring as stock because that hinge was fine, only the left was broken. So now I need to somehow get the spring hooked back up. Any ideas?
Steve
Bleyseng

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Bleyseng »

Check out this tech article: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... spring.htm
It tells you how to safely put the spring back on. It's not that hard but it is dangerous. Steve, do you have the plastic rollers for the springs to roll on the hinge pivots. If not order some, they are cheap and really help for smooth operation.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.0L
Roland Kunz

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by Roland Kunz »

Hello

To be exact. All the VW Porsche bodys where made at Karman. The VW types ( 47 ) where completet there while the Porsche types ( 914 ) where finished exept engine trany trucked and railed down to Zuffenhausen.
Porsche then assembeld them in the old factory where they used to start there car building busines. They also dissasembeld cars there to make special costumer request as VW/Karmann couldn´t handle those at there Branch ( i.e.: Leather, special colors )
The M 471 option modification where partially done at Zuff or at Osnabrück.

After the JV crashed and splittet Porsche had to stock all spares for the 914 including the VW cars.

Porsche used external coachbuilders in a long tradition ( Bauer, de´le Iterien, Beutler, Weinsberg, Drautz, Abarth ) Karman was supplier for many 356 bodys and even offered an Porsche Karmann Coupe witch was an 356 Convertible with fixed hardtop.

Grüsse
stevestromberg

NINEONEFOURUM......

Post by stevestromberg »

Roland could you post some photos of the 914's you service, so we can see Eurosytle 914 mods. Steve