Heads and Cams

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Pillow

Heads and Cams

Post by Pillow »

I always hate theoretical posts like this, but I just need a little guidance on which way to go Image I can provide more specs if needed if something glaring is missing.

Motor is a 1955 using the WBX 76.4mm crank and 90.5 P&Cs with stock rods and rockers. It will run Bosch CIS fuel injection with a center mount 45mm throttle body. Going in a '66 Westi with taller gears for happy interstate travel. I would like the power curve to be fat and torquey between 2500-5000RPM, maybe peak torque at about 3000 and peak HP 4800-5000. I plan to shift normally between 3500-3800 which drops the RPMs down about a grand per gear. Exhaust will be factory heat exchangers with a header and fat boy/custom single muffler thing. Aiming for 7.5-8:1 CR.

I am thinking home polished CB Performance 044s (PN: 1446) with no porting...? I could also redo some regular stock DP heads very easily..? The trouble is I cannot figure out the flow needed for torque with the small 45mm throttle body... 044s might be overkill, a nice set of stock heads that are cleaned up may be better?

What WebCam would be good for this application? CIS can support a fairly lumpy cam so no worries there. But I am thinking for the necessary power curve I land somewhere between a standard Engle 100 and 110. I want the power to die hard after 5250RPM because it is not needed. Any resources on cam power curves in a head to head comparison? (I wish the VW rags would do this kind of thing) If I remember right the Engle 110 dies after 5500RPM which is too high.

Sorry I have to compare Engle and ask for WebCam, but the WebCam part numbers are Greek to me Image

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Head flow and cams specs are just an area where I lack applicable knowledge big time Image

------------------
Adrian Pillow
'66 VW Westfalia - "Biscuit"
'67 VW Deluxe Westfakia - "Dino" - FS
'79 Porsche 911 SC - "Cochese" - FS
James2

Heads and Cams

Post by James2 »

Since you're running it in a bus and don't want big ports, I would go with an 040 or 043 casting for better cooling. 40 X 35 valves, with a good port job. Porting is every thing. something flowing around 150 cfm.

web cam 218. 242 duration at .050, lift is .455. CR should be at 7.7

My guess is about 120 hp because of the good heads, but plenty of torque thanks to the small cam.
Pillow

Heads and Cams

Post by Pillow »

Thanks James.

>My guess is about 120 hp <

Wow, that is more than I thought. I was guessing low 90s for HP... Then again I do not have the desktop dyno thing to even get a good guesstimate.

Thanks,
Adrian

------------------
Adrian Pillow
James2

Heads and Cams

Post by James2 »

Scratch that, just reread your post. if your going to run the factory heat exchanger, then run the factory size valves.

My new advice is to run a stock 040 head 35 X32, that's been ported.

A 35mm exhaust valve is larger then the pipe in a factory exchanger, causeing heat to back up into the head. it will also cause major tuning problems.

use the same 218 web cam, but expect about 95-100 hp now.
Pillow

Heads and Cams

Post by Pillow »

Wow, that is some mean lift! .455" should be a torque monster.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
Stripped66

Heads and Cams

Post by Stripped66 »

Pillow,
the WBX crank is 76mm, not 76.4mm. Again, there is a lot of misinformation around. This may be handy if you are trying to figure out what length rods/barrel shims to run to get the deck height you need.

76mm x 90.5 = 1955cc (Laurie Pettit's 'double nickle'). BTW, when I e-mailed Laurie concerning bearings (e.g. the #1 main), he recommended wasser bearings; these are expensive and a PITA to find in the States. You can find a T4 #1 main bearing at almost any VW shop...at a hi-po shop, you may be able to find it for cheap if they are scavenging bearing sets for #2 T4 mains (does this make sense? my local shop used the #2 T4 on a race engine, they just gave me the #1 T4 main because it was left over from that incomplete set). If you have any #'s questions on the WBX crank or conversion, e-mail me.
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Heads and Cams

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Hmmn, The 218 grind.....Thats one of Jakes favorites for a flat torque band...really nice.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Pillow

Heads and Cams

Post by Pillow »

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the advice.

Looks like 040s and a 218 are in my future Image

Stripped66, I will e-mail you off-line about the WBX switch... One more stupid question.

Thanks,

------------------
Adrian Pillow
BoostedBug

Heads and Cams

Post by BoostedBug »

I have desktop dyno that I could lend you a cpoy of for evaluation purpose's. No time limit but...wink wink. Drop me an email [email protected] .

------------------
Steve
66 Type 1
Contents Under Pressure
bug63

Heads and Cams

Post by bug63 »

I'm also interested in the WBX crank in type 1 engine issue. What are the mods required?
Pillow

Heads and Cams

Post by Pillow »

bug63, do a search in the archives and then see if it is worthwhile for you... It is a pain, but has its benefits in other ways.

------------------
Adrian Pillow
MagOO

Heads and Cams

Post by MagOO »

Stock valve ported, stock cam ....5200 rpm... and a TON of torque...oh yeah and you don't need EFI keep the 34 pict .... a little less revs,but you can climb a tree...keep the c/r down on a heavy like a Westy...