Cylinder Sealer

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
KGMAN

Cylinder Sealer

Post by KGMAN »

Well I seized a rod on the crank last weekend Auto Xing the ghia (( 5500 RPM's in 2nd gear around a right handed sweeper)) The car handled great with the new 7/8th" sways and koni's up front!! But engine obviously didnt take to nicely to the hard cornering oil starvation problem. I have shipped off the crank to get .reground and polished.. 250 smakers.. Ouch.
This could have been avoided if I installed the sump before the race. Anyway I am rebuilding the motor and have a couple of questions.
What is the best sealer to use when mating up cylinders to the case?
What is the Tourque lb's for the head studs?
Anything particular I should watch for when setting the pistons back in the cylinders?
If I am running a Bug pack 110 cam currently what would be the next step up that I could use with stock push rods and 1.25:1 ratio rocker arms.
Thanks Guys.
BP
bartman

Cylinder Sealer

Post by bartman »

i used permatex ultra copper rtv. i cut the nozzle to give the smallest possible bead. i ran a very small, even bead on the flat surface of the cylinder that sits against the case. this was after cleaning both surfaces with brake cleaner. it squeezed out neatly without having to wipe off any excess. sealed great. this was on 94mm

according to haynes, torque values are: first step=84in-lbs. second step 10mm=23ft-lb 8mm=18ft-lb

a ring can break if it slips out of the compressor as you insert the piston(don't forget to orient the rings properly). if you use circlips on your pins make sure they are seated in their grooves. oh, and don't let your rods bang on the spigots while your working

[This message has been edited by bartman (edited 06-21-2002).]
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Cylinder Sealer

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Permatex Hylomar.
KGMAN

Cylinder Sealer

Post by KGMAN »

Thanks Fellas! Any recomendations on a little more agresive Cam.
ANT

Cylinder Sealer

Post by ANT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MASSIVE TYPE IV:
Permatex Hylomar.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHA! Final-friggin-ly has someone backed me up on Hylomar!!!! I love this stuff (only thing that's close IMHO is copper RTV).

Hylomar was developed for aerospace apps, the story I got was that Rolls Royce came up with it for their turbofans (jet injuns for you unedumakateds). It will not change the dimensions of mated surfaces (heard that it squishes down to something on the order of a millionth of an inch, no foolin).

Always thought this would make a killer case sealer, wasn't sure about using it on the barrels--have had good luck with the copper RTV.

Figgers that Jake knows about it, eh fly boy? :-)
-ANT
njv

Cylinder Sealer

Post by njv »

hi
i love hylomar too have used it for years with no problems so long as you follow dirrections and put it on both surfaces and let it cure before assembly rtv sucks.

------------------
neil verdon 1966 t3 sqr on irs pan.
vdubsinjensen

Cylinder Sealer

Post by vdubsinjensen »

As for the cam,I'm running a VZ-14 with stock rockers,stock valve size heads,34 pict carb,12 to 1 CR,in a 1600 cc circle-track car(1825 lbs with driver)It's making 103 hp,and pulls beautiful from 4000-6300rpm's.Paul www.jbbugs.com
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Cylinder Sealer

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Htlomar rocks!
The only thing it does not work well on is pipe thread and galley plugs.

I seal cases with it all the time, I add a piece of Dental floss (waxed) at the very bottom of the case, we never have leaks. Some folks tried to tell me that the dental floss would distort the crush on the main and cam bearings, my bore gauge with installed bearings, torqued, proved that wrong.

We used Hylomar on the compressor sections of Turbo shaft engines aot, and I even have seen it recommended for some fuel control o- rings....Another nice thing is that it cleans up easily, unlike loctite 518 or permatex aviation. I use it on engines that must be torn down alot and it makes for much easier parts swaps between races.
MagOO

Cylinder Sealer

Post by MagOO »

Years ago aircraft mechs fund that using a single silk thread would work well on aircooleds...Ask sniper what ythey use today...I think the guys that pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a rebuild would not want leaks...Andrew?
Tom Perso

Cylinder Sealer

Post by Tom Perso »

I used Hylomar on the case halfs, cylinder shims, etc, etc all over the case.

I also used it on galley plugs with no real effects, it sealed just fine. I might have been lucky.

Jake, Thanks for the tip with dental floss. Thats a neat trick... Image

Later,
Tom