Info on 94's that fit 90.5 holes.

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Mikey

Info on 94\'s that fit 90.5 holes.

Post by Mikey »

Where can I get info and prices on 94 pistons and cylinders that fit my 90.5 holes.
Does anyone have these. do you like them.
How much where they?
thanks.
Mike
Ryan72

Post by Ryan72 »

I have never heard of such a thing, 92's fit in the same hole as 90.5's, however if you take a look at the rather thin cylinder walls with 92mm cylinders, you would see that 94 in the same size opening would just not be feasible. Sorry :/
Sidewalk

Post by Sidewalk »

Actauuly, I do not beleive they are sold that way. You have to buy 94's, and have the base machined down to fit.

------------------
'59 bug-unstockStella
'88 Bronco II-unstock Sonja
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"

But are you gutless?
Ryan72

Post by Ryan72 »

People actually do that? Would there be any point? its just going to thin out the mating surface of the bottom of the cylinder and the case, and the cost to machine it down couldnt be much cheaper then getting your case machined to accept 94's. Well I suppose maybe if you wanted to upgrade to 94's without splitting the case maybe? Dunno.
James2

Post by James2 »

The purpose is to add 94s without taking the motor apart. The base is turned down to 96mm, the stock 94 mm cylinder is 97.25mm at the base, so 1.25mm is lost. The rest of the cylinder remands full thickness, and there is very little heat and load at the bottom where it is turned down.
Sidewalk

Post by Sidewalk »

Correct. If I were to pull my heads tommorrow, I would do it if the bank account allows.

------------------
'59 bug-unstockStella
'88 Bronco II-unstock Sonja
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"

But are you gutless?
Da48King

Post by Da48King »

Roger Crawford's Heads Up Performance in Fullerton CA does this modification if you're interested. www.headsup-performance.com

------------------
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!

[This message has been edited by Da48King (edited 03-01-2002).]
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks Guy.
I'll look at Heads-up and see what I find.
I have heard off some people that have them and they are happy with them, they are supose to be just as good as the 90.5s.
Mike
boschsuper

Post by boschsuper »

How much clearance heat expansion in is allowed when the base is machined to fit into the spigot holes.
Buggsy

Post by Buggsy »

Hmmmm. Something here doesn't sound right. When I installed my 94s a couple years ago, I remember the part that goes into the case was VERY thin. I remember taking great pains not to bump the bottom lip for fear of displacing metal into the cylinder. I think it might be less expensive just to do it right in the first place. C'mon, you know you want to split the case and put in that big cam anyway.

------------------
Poor folks got poor ways.
James2

Post by James2 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buggsy:
<B>Hmmmm. Something here doesn't sound right. When I installed my 94s a couple years ago, I remember the part that goes into the case was VERY thin. I remember taking great pains not to bump the bottom lip for fear of displacing metal into the cylinder. I think it might be less expensive just to do it right in the first place. C'mon, you know you want to split the case and put in that big cam anyway.

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeb, your right. But if hold the base of a 90.5 to the base of a 94, you'll see they are close any ways. So a whole lot of material is not removed from the 94. About 3/4 of a mm all the way around.

I'm with you though, I think it's better to split the case. but machining the 94s down will work.