Automatic drag transaxle

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Tom Simon

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Tom Simon »

So I've been thinking about automatic transmissions, and aircooled VW drag cars. Just think if a guy could have an automatic transaxle, that was reliable, and could handle, say, 500-600hp. Getting the car to go straight on a lousy starting line would be easier. So would getting a consistant 60ft time, cutting a consistant light, saving abuse on the ring and pinion, keeping both hands on the wheel, softer shifts at the top end of the track (safer). I guess my wish list would have to include include: prevision for a trans brake (locks the tranny into first and reverse via an electric solinoid, like a race preped GM powerglide) readily available ring and pinion, from a v-8 car. Readily available gears with lots of choices, maybe even VW, but chevy or something would be ok. At least 3 forward gears, but the option of having 4 would be nice. Readily available clutch packs and rebuild parts.
I wonder if a guy could design and build such a unit, without having to mortgage the farm. Hmmm...
sniper48

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by sniper48 »

Hey, Tom...It's Andrew, the guy interested in your oval. (I never found that site where you said there was a discriprion of the stripped-out bug. And i still am interested, by the way.) Your idea for the auto trani would be pretty awsome but were you planning a front engine??? Or, just extending the whole back end to acomodate such a proposal. And even that would display weight and ballance problems in relation to your drive wheels. I jst hope it wouldn't take th fun of tearing up gears and ripping apart clutches!!!
briansbug

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by briansbug »

i think covair may have used a version of a power-glide for a transaxle. will have to do some checking, i'll let you know what i find out.
Tom Notch

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Tom Notch »

Yup , Corvair was a powerglide. The unfortunqte thing is the spyder gears were made of glass or just too small for buggy use. That does pose a possibility, all we would need is the diff housing and gears based on an 8" Ford.

To start with!

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home
Steve Arndt

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Steve Arndt »

Folts builds drag trannys from the 74 iron dif bus autos, right?
Tom Notch

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Tom Notch »

Bus 010 trannys in dune buggies is Folts' thing. And Harold Carter also works on them and thinks highly of them.

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home
Steve Arndt

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Steve Arndt »

If I installed a bus automatic into a drag car what could I expect? The stock ratios? The strength? My friend and I that are driving up to Seattle for Bug Nationals next month both run bus trannys, me with 30" tires and by buddy w/ 25" tires (highway hassle!).
sa
Tom Simon

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Tom Simon »

I hadn't considered Corvair. I was at a friends shop last night, they use a 'glide in their Grand American dirt car. They happened to have it apart, what a simple little beast. Does anyone know if the Corvair power glide guts are the same as the V8 stuff? And if the ring and pinion are Corvair only, or something from the 60's GM parts bin? (like maybe GM 6 cylinder light duty rear end or something) I'm sure I could build my own spool to get around the fragile spider gear problem, or even furnace braze the diff into a locker termperarily.
Also, I am not aware of the iron center section Vanagon trannys or any work that Carter or Folts have done. Enlighten me...
briansbug

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by briansbug »

i did a little more researgh on the corvair idea. it would be pretty hard to make work. the first problem is that a corvair's crank rotation is backwards. so the trans roller clutches and pump are a no-go. also it does'nt use the same style of valve body so the race/brake bodies are out. could of made it work if didn't spin backwards to everything else on earth

------------------
power is an adiction
briansbug

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by briansbug »

tom. i just ran across a site that sells a race auto transaxle. no prices. but if you check it out let us know www.transaxleengr.com

------------------
power is an adiction
Tom Simon

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Tom Simon »

Let's see, if I could get a backwards ground cam, get the starter motor to go the wrong way, and change the "oiling scoops" on the crank main journals... or maybe not

I wonder if you can just flip the Corvair ring gear to the other side, like you do with an early type II box using reduction gears. A guy in town (whom I've never met) had about 10 Corvairs on his property. Maybe this would be a good time to introduce myself, and talk to him about this.

I plan on calling Transaxle engineering tomorrow about their "race-auto" transaxle. It looks like an expensive piece, but so is research and development.
Muffler Mike

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Muffler Mike »

Took a look at TE's site, When talking to the guys at EMS, i remember Jeff Field's name coming up in the conversation when setting up Hobi's automatic, i dont remember if it was him or he recommended some one to set up the stall converter.

------------------
Muffler Mike
www.MufflerMike.com
merfin78

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by merfin78 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Simon:
<B>Let's see, if I could get a backwards ground cam, get the starter motor to go the wrong way, and change the "oiling scoops" on the crank main journals... or maybe not

I wonder if you can just flip the Corvair ring gear to the other side, like you do with an early type II box using reduction gears. A guy in town (WEEKS WEWm I've neverBEEN met) had about 10 Corvairs on his property. Maybe this would be a good time to introduce myself, and talk to him about this.

I plan on calling Transaxle engineering tomorrow about their "race-auto" transaxle. It looks like an expensive piece, but so is research and development.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PEOPLE WAIT AFEW WEEKS AND MAYBE I CAN ANS THIS AUTO QUESTION I HAV LOST MOST USE OF LEFT LEG AND LOVE TO RACE VW DRAG CARS SO I AM WORKING ON SEVERAL PROJECTS NOW
merfin78

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by merfin78 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Simon:
<B>Let's see, if I could get a backwards ground cam, get the starter motor to go the wrong way, and change the "oiling scoops" on the crank main journals... or maybe not

I wonder if you can just flip the Corvair ring gear to the other side, like you do with an early type II box using reduction gears. A guy in town (WEEKS WEWm I've neverBEEN met) had about 10 Corvairs on his property. Maybe this would be a good time to introduce myself, and talk to him about this.

I plan on calling Transaxle engineering tomorrow about their "race-auto" transaxle. It looks like an expensive piece, but so is research and development.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PEOPLE WAIT AFEW WEEKS AND MAYBE I CAN ANS THIS AUTO QUESTION I HAV LOST MOST USE OF LEFT LEG AND LOVE TO RACE VW DRAG CARS SO I AM WORKING ON SEVERAL PROJECTS NOW
Steve Arndt

Automatic drag transaxle

Post by Steve Arndt »

<B>I hadn't considered Corvair. I was at a friends shop last night, they use a 'glide in their Grand American dirt car. They happened to have it apart, what a simple little beast. Does anyone know if the Corvair power glide guts are the same as the V8 stuff? And if the ring and pinion are Corvair only, or something from the 60's GM parts bin? (like maybe GM 6 cylinder light duty rear end or something) I'm sure I could build my own spool to get around the fragile spider gear problem, or even furnace braze the diff into a locker termperarily.
Also, I am not aware of the iron center section Vanagon trannys or any work that Carter or Folts have done. Enlighten me...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>