68 bay drivetrain under 60 Split body

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
vwoval.com

Post by vwoval.com »

Oh Great Bus Gurus

I know where a 60 Panel sits that used to do light duty as a Cleaners Truck. It still hast the logo slightly visible on the green side.

Question. I have a 68 bay with a bad dented body.. but running drivetrain. The 60 somewhere in its life was ripped of its drivetrain for some ungodly reason. Can I swap the 68 drivetrain, front beam, rear tranny etc... into the 60? Will it all bolt up and get me rolling?

Just thinking outloud. Thanks in advance.

------------------

chris
[email protected]
vwoval.com

Post by vwoval.com »

Nobody knows if a 68 drivetrain will fit a 60?

------------------

chris
[email protected]
62T2Doood

Post by 62T2Doood »

Not say it can't be done, but it can't be done w/out some MAJOR headaches. Everything is different between the two busses. There would be no hope of a mere bolts and wrench switch out operation. You'd be in to it for welding, conversion products, mistakes, etc.

I mean, yeah, it CAN be done. But, .....

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the panel bus going for?

------------------
<I>Bryan...St.Petersburg, FL
'62 11W Kombi ;^) "Monie"
'72 Beetle "Punchy"</I>

[This message has been edited by 62T2Doood (edited 07-08-2002).]
vwoval.com

Post by vwoval.com »

Well yea.. thats what I thought. =(

The panel is in the middle of a hillside with other cars around it.. blocking it in. This old guy just collected cars & trucks and stored them there. I'm going to take another good look at the vehicle.. and will let you know. On the price.. its cheap
(but you gotta get it out).

Remember it doesnt have a bit of underside mechanics. ( Front Beam, Rear tranny.. any tires or wheels or even hubs ) But it was sitting off the ground.

This was about a 6 months ago find. I'm going to try to get back soon and look over again.

Thanks for the advice.

------------------

chris
[email protected]
vwoval.com

Post by vwoval.com »

Bob,
Hummm. I do know where a 23 window deluxe sunroof top is also. The truck is actually a hull with rot up the sides but the top is there.

68 drivetrain, 60 panel body & 23 window sunroof top. Pretty cool and much work!

=)

------------------

chris
[email protected]
james

Post by james »

I thought the beams were interchangeable, and I thought the tranny would fit too, although you might need to change the nosecone, not sure.The problem would be the spring plates and reduction boxes. Bus boys sells the parts to do it.
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

You can make up an axle to bolt on the van for towing . Someone showed this a week or two age.Kinda like a trailer axle made to bolt up in the rear. Could probably do something similar to the front just to get it out of there where you can work on it. Rex Rogers (type2guy) has done a lot of research on this and can give you ideas. It is definatly doable and definatly worth doing as a long range project. The best of both worlds. Old looks and late ride. I`m completely partian to panels myself. Think of a 60 panel with an uprighted T-4 engine, 091 gears,nice wheels, painted and upholstered with a 23 window deluxe sunroof top.What a ride! Good luck. Bob Ingman
type2guy

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
You can make up an axle to bolt on the van for towing . Someone showed this a week or two age.Kinda like a trailer axle made to bolt up in the rear. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://type2guy.com/62/62.html

I havn't made anything for the fronts yet, but plan to do so. I found a '60 Kombi that's perfectly straight with all the parts. Just no running gear. Would like to have a front dolly and the rear dolly to go get it. Hate to see it rot.
type2guy

Post by type2guy »

As Adrian said, the beam bolts right up. Only it'll be 2" too high.

The rear is easiest to just install the correct transaxle setup. May not be that hard to find really. I've got (2) early small nut splittie transaxles drum-to-drum sitting here that I'd almost give away. I bet there are others around where you are.

On the swap in the rear, there are kits that let you use all the '68 rear-end except the transmission. For that you use a 70's bug IRS tranny...which you could probably score a used one for $50 or so if your willing to take a chance on if it works. Bus-Boys kit clamps on. Creative Engineering's kit is a weld-in job. Bus Boys costs more, but Creatives is probably harder to install if you don't weld. The good thing about using this stuff is it allows you get better gearing to drive faster.

Either way...I agree with Bob. The Panel is one of my favorate Busses and the '60 is my favorate year range for VW busses. Very cool vehicle.

You know, you could always leave the 2" raise in the front and raise the rear to match. Put some big tires on there and have a rowdy looking Bus!!! Plus, it'd be much more usable than a slammed one. Buck the trend!!!
Kooky Math Teacher

Post by Kooky Math Teacher »

Here's a pic of a 21 window roof panel next to a restore Binz http://www.home.earthlink.net/~thatvwguy/kcw2.jpg
Kooky Math Teacher

Can you raise a split bus 2 inches? How do you go about doing that?
type2guy

Post by type2guy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kooky Math Teacher:
Can you raise a split bus 2 inches? How do you go about doing that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Early bay beam in the front, adjust the torsion springs on their splines in the rear.
Pillow

Post by Pillow »

Oh man!

The front beam can drop in, but you have a high rider of 2". Best to put in adjusters to lower it.

The rear is a different story. Rex is the 091 expert here so I will yield on the tranny issue... But it is not easy. Better off finding a T1 tranny. The rear swing arms and brakes can fit in but will need an adpator kit and some welding (this has been kicked around a lot on this board).

Sounds like you better have a welder handy and know how to use it! Sounds like a good project if the price is right (read almost free).

------------------
Adrian Pillow
'66 VW Westfalia - "Biscuit"
'67 VW Deluxe Westfakia - "Dino"
'79 Porsche 911 SC - "Cochese"
Bob Ingman

Post by Bob Ingman »

Kooky, love what has been done to your panel.
Keep an eye out for the deluxe belt to really set it off since you have the paint done as a deluxe. It looks real real good anyway. Good luck. Bob Ingman
Kooky Math Teacher

Bob,
I wish that was my panel! It's the owner of Kustom Koach works in CO. He did my friend's Dan kinsey's Binz (also Pictured). I have a DD panel that I have in my garage. I was going to go type 4 conversion but other neccessities have put that on hold. I think raising a panel 2" would look pretty slick!