do i really need a reinforced gearbox

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
lakis1982

do i really need a reinforced gearbox

Post by lakis1982 »

Hello,

currently im in the process of building a powerful engine that is intended only for street use... It is an oxyboxer 2110cc turbo EFI engine and Horsepower goal is in the 300HP mark.. I expect torque to be around 380Nm...

This engine will sit on my karmann ghia... THe gearbox that i have starts with AD code.... Do you think i will have to upgrade all the internal parts of my gearbox (axles, gears) ??? Please advise...

Thanks
H2OSB

Re: do i really need a reinforced gearbox

Post by H2OSB »

With 300hp you don't HAVE to, but I would suggest keeping a good supply of spare gearboxes on hand to replace the one you break...often

H2OSB
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I would suggest weddle 1-4 gears, do an aluminum gear carrier....basically upgrade about every part of it. The car will need to be set up for it all the way, just not the gear box. Read "Keeping your ring and pinion alive" on here.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Your power level some stay T1, some go to bus, some even go to Mendeola
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Casting Timmy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:36 pm Your power level some stay T1, some go to bus, some even go to Mendeola
...or even an automatic trans...
The only really special tool needed to build an automatic is a clean shop.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I have a combo in the power range you are seeking. I have had a type one trans in it for 5 years. The only thing that has failed in that trans was the hockey stick, last summer, $25 Weddle part and it was back in business. I do have Weddle 1-4 and a German 3.88 in it, spool, Aluminum Rhino case dual HD side plates as well SAW axles. I intended to race the car, so I built it tough. 300hp will spin non welded gears. Probably should have that done at the very least. Don't plan on doing any burnouts or launches. If just cruising, you'll be fine for a while, obviously depending on driving style.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

If they offer a 300M torsional input shaft for your transaxle I would highly recommend it, we started using them several years ago in our offroad buggies and it has made a major difference in transaxle life for us in our 6 rib bus boxes. I hope you don't actually expect your stock type1 trans to handle nearly 6 times the power that it was for designed for.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

Yes, weddle have the 300m input shafts for T1 transaxles.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

actually, can someone tell me if :

1) i can put a bay bus gearbox to a karmann ghia or beetle ?? Will it fit ???

2) you can confirm that the bay bus gearbox internal parts (axles, gears) are different and more beefier that the T1 gearbox parts ???

Thank you for the replies