Both headlights High and Low are inop

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Leicajh

Both headlights High and Low are inop

Post by Leicajh »

Hello. I’m a new guy here, and this is my first post. I met Larry at a Thing Convention at Colorado Springs years ago.
Both my head lights are inop. Fuses are good. The only other component might be the head light switch. Am I off?
Marc

Re: Both headlights High and Low are inop

Post by Marc »

You didn't mention what year so I'm assuming `73/`74.
Two other possible causes if the tail/parking lamps work but not the headlamps.

The lighting switch has two power sources, one is hot all the time (Term 30) for the tail/parking light portion of the switch and one that comes from auxiliary contacts in the ignition switch which are only closed when it's in the "on" position (Term X). So, before condemning the lighting switch, check that it's receiving power at the X terminal input.

If power is making it through the switch (headlamp power comes out at Term 56, white wire w/black stripe) it has one more component to pass through before arriving at the fusebox, the hi/lo relay. More often when that's bad it stays stuck on either high or low beam, but it is possible that the contact inside is broken or so crusty that it's not passing power through to either output. If you've got power at its Term 56 but nothing at 56a (Hi beam, white wire) or 56b (Low beam, yellow wire) then the relay is your problem.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/in ... m_4-73.pdf