SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by petew »

It's weird. It runs for about 10 minutes and then drops out until you restart the car. Weird...
petew

Post by petew »

Fixed a leaking axle boot today. I've been avoiding it for weeks... and for good reason. Man I hate that job. Didn't even have a hole in it. Was just leaking. Grrr.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Did you put new ones on? One piece or split?
petew

Post by petew »

German split.
petew

Post by petew »

Been working on this for the last week. Dual circuit brake reservoir with warning switch.

IMG20171120103947.jpg

This turned out to be a real pain of a job... Like I knew it would be. Getting the VW reservoir out was a pain. I ended up cutting the outlet tubes off. Even then, pulling the offcuts out of the hoses was painful. Draining the brake fluid without stripping paint of off everything, etc, etc. As you can see, I ended up putting a coat of rust-kill paint on the old metal to try and slow the rot down. I'll stop whining now. Anyhow, at least the reservoir is in. I've still got a few wires to run for a warning light. Again, this is all down to NSW nanny state laws if you want your car registered properly. :roll: Ridiculous.

BTW, if anyone is looking for this reservoir, here it is on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tandem-Cham ... 2749.l2649
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Warning light might be pretty handy. That not something I check regularly.
panel

Post by panel »

Pete , where is your O2 sensor located? (re: other post)
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
petew

Post by petew »

Here's a pic...
IMG20171124151244.jpg
Red arrow marks where it is. It's not heat sensitivity, because it's nearly a metre from the turbo. I think it's vibration, which is from one of 2 things...
1. Sensor tapping on the back apron.
2. Solid exhaust support strap is making the exhaust vibrate badly.

Course I'd welcome any other thoughts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Theory:
Your exhaust is long enough its possibly condensing water by that point much of the time.
Water is quite lethal to hot O2 sensors, moreso than leaded fuel.
That extension seems like it would prevent that though, but may cause other issue as in running too cold.

AFAIK only some 14point7.com WBO2s can read back and display sensor temperature to check that directly, but an EGT probe is reasonably easy to add temporarily if you have one.

I'd try to keep it on a similar extension, but much, much closer to the turbo, preferably on the inside of a turn but still vertical-ish.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
petew

Post by petew »

Thanks PD, will have to look into that. Can't wait to move all the wiring... :(

In other news, got sick of the shortened gear stick. Jumped out of bed this morning and knocked this up out of black nylon before I went on a "drive the kids round the whole world" adventure. Such fun on a 32degC (90F) day. Not. Car's running nice and cool though. Oil temps around 75C (167F), head temps around 100C (212F).

IMG20171125140738.jpg

Router table + table saw + M10 tap for the win. It's probably about stock length again. :lol: Time for a shift kit. ;)
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Pete , Don't waste your money/time with them cheap 'shift kit' things, just to shorten the shift pattern :roll:
save up for a decent 'Hurst' /Scat, Berg or even an empi (which I have in my Bus) way better then "stock" wish I had a few laying around ,,I'd sent u a Christmas gift :wink: :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I run the cheap Empi Hurst copy and it works "a treat"!!!! :) :D

I did use an adjustable end on the shift rod for easy shifter setup but it takes any and all the slop out of the linkage.
I can bang gears as fast as a Vertigate shifter and haven't missed a shift for a long time.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I am partial to my stock shifter. But i might do one of the ghetto short shift kits in the near future. New clutch is gonna allow for some fast shifting. I have used Hurst in the past, and do quite like them. They just don't fit the current build quite like i want.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I've tried most all of those after market shifters at different times. The reason I posted how to put the bus shifter into a bug was 1) for old school looks 2) access to the shifter in my seating arrangement plus the turning brakes handles were in the way.

The bus shifter, with it's longer ball position the bus shifter needed to sit higher to the shift rod. With the spacer, the bus shifter now shifts similar to the stock shifter but has a lot more positive feel to it than the stock unit does plus the throw may not be quite as long even with the much longer shifter handle.

On my blue buggy I replaced the stock shifter because the throw was way too long when you needed to down shift in a hurry, especially when you are double clutching into first; the feeling of the gear box just wasn't there. I replaced the stock unit not too long after I bought the buggy with a Hurst/EMPI (mine was a LR knockoff) shifter and that was so much better than stock but the throw was still a bit long so I eventually replaced it with a Scat Drag fast shifter which is great! Since it was a used unit that I was given, the reverse lockout part of the shifter didn't work well.

Even with the changing to glass seats from '89 Camaro seats and tracks and with the glass seats now mounted just a 1/2" off the floor; both the Hurst and Scat units were comfortable, a well below shoulder level (more like a "sports car" setup) and no arm problems with the forward edge of the seat back. I have a new Scat shifter to replace it and STF does have a string showing how to fix it viewtopic.php?f=15&t=117964&p=1252134&h ... x#p1252134).

I also have tried a couple of the very short throw shifters (we are talking about handle travel in not much more than an inch or two) and while they might be good for drag racing I felt that they had way too short of a throw to get a good feel where you were in the gear selection process especially when down shifting and especially when going into first.

FWIW

Lee
petew

Post by petew »

Wow! Turn my back for 5 seconds and you all go wild about shifters! :lol:

I'm alergic to throwing lots of cash at shifter. I'm going to give the Empi shift kit one more go. Hope that does the trick this time. :roll: