Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
66brm

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by 66brm »

I would think that the fan may also help with heat soak in the core if it's left to run for a bit after a hard pull
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:56 pm In the October air I see 135-147 plus degrees at 22-23 lbs. with the WI on.
The first pass through third gear it held it down to 83.7 degrees so that would be a 61 degree drop......

The third pass was at 117 degrees from say 145 degrees would be a 28 degree drop.
It really doesn't have a lot of airflow so maybe once I install a fan it will maintain the lower temps. that would be the cat's meow!!!

I could otherwise inject some of my water/alcohol onto it for some cooling help but I can already really feel the difference just the 30 degrees makes.
So, what you're saying is, you get a 50% drop in IATs if you can supply it with cool air. That's pretty awesome! I still say finding a way to get fresh air to it without a fan is a better idea. A scoop or a few well placed bits of vacuum cleaner hose would probably do it.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Clonebug wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:56 pm In the October air I see 135-147 plus degrees at 22-23 lbs. with the WI on.
The first pass through third gear it held it down to 83.7 degrees so that would be a 61 degree drop......

The third pass was at 117 degrees from say 145 degrees would be a 28 degree drop.
It really doesn't have a lot of airflow so maybe once I install a fan it will maintain the lower temps. that would be the cat's meow!!!

I could otherwise inject some of my water/alcohol onto it for some cooling help but I can already really feel the difference just the 30 degrees makes.
Was the motor fully warmed up? I'm curious if the heat soak you mentioned will make the boost temps go up a bit after you are at full cruising temp. Your temps are very intriguing, and really make me want to pull the trigger to get some kind of intercooler on my setup for some more boost...
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Is that without the WI? IC only? If so - that's freak'n awesome! That's a significant drop in temps (even if it's with the WI). A longer shake-down cruise will verify the effectiveness, ALA the clutch holds up!!! :shock:
Jeff
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS,
That was with WI on too.

It's still quite noticeable on the performance side I feel.

It seemed a lot stronger in the middle range lower gears too.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Sweet! Don't forget the yarn "wind tunnel" testing. Could be very enlightening.
Jeff
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

kangaboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am

Was the motor fully warmed up? I'm curious if the heat soak you mentioned will make the boost temps go up a bit after you are at full cruising temp. Your temps are very intriguing, and really make me want to pull the trigger to get some kind of intercooler on my setup for some more boost...
The first pass was after a 5 minute warmup idle and then 2 mile drive before boosting it to watch the IAT's at cruise.

It would idle at about 95 degrees with a 65 Degree ambient air temp.
It would run at about 78 degrees at cruise if I remember correctly and hold there. the first run I checked the log was just a fairly easy push in first and second then hard boost in third which only lasted about 5-6 seconds. That was the reason it stayed low.
Third pass was more revealing in what it will do I think due to a hard pass in all the gears including fourth which put a long load on the turbo.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:29 pm Sweet! Don't forget the yarn "wind tunnel" testing. Could be very enlightening.
Jeff
That is next on the list... :wink:
petew

Post by petew »

Some inspiration for you Art...

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunAeYDh0PA[/BBvideo]
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I shared it on facebook also, awesome launch!
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

rubenski wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:21 am I shared it on facebook also, awesome launch!
Yes, but VERY squirrelly after that! :shock:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 am Some inspiration for you Art...

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunAeYDh0PA[/BBvideo]
Why does it do a 10.90 second pass but only 97.28 mph???
Shouldn't it be at almost 130 mph???

It does launch hard!!!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

10.90 index, standing on the brakes at the finish line?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Nothing big happening......weather has turned for the worse and it has been raining or too cold to drive the Buggy.

Pulled the intake off and got it painted....

The clocking bracket arrived so I also installed that.......just a little stainless bling..... :wink:

rubenski

Post by rubenski »

🖒🖒🖒
Better to be blown than to suck!