Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 am I first have to upgrade my clutch to a Stage 2 to handle the extra power...... :cry: :cry: :roll: :lol: 8)
I have a stage 3 with about 3 miles on it I'd let go pretty cheap! :roll:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Indeed, why go 2 if you can have 3
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

As Chip said.... he has a broken clutch tube........again.....

I hope to stay away from that kind of issue.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The tube is easy to weld once the body is separated from the pan :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pm The tube is easy to weld once the body is separated from the pan :lol:
LOL
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

My silicone connectors showed up a little after noon today so I just had to see if I could make something fit..... :wink:

A little cutting and fitting of two 90 degree bends along with a few temporary hose clamps to hold everything in place and I think I have the makings of a new intake.

I'm thinking the 1 3/4 inch bends gave me just enough room for nice clearance to the alternator and everything else.

Now I just have to find a place for the blow off valve, weld everything together, a little paint and I can give it a test if the weather cooperates.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
Or go hydraulic :wink: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Due to another rain day I got a bunch done on the intercooler upgrade.

It's all welded up and test fitted with the BOV and Water/Alcohol injection nozzle installed......

All I have to do is paint it and wait for the turbo clocking bracket so I can install the other turbo and then test it.
The bracket might be a week or more so I will be impatiently waiting for it.
petew

Post by petew »

Nice. Anything that helps the world share your "WWWPPSHHHH!" sound is a good thing. :D
rubenski

Re: 1641 Turbo EFI Manx. Gathering parts!

Post by rubenski »

Good progress!
Better to be blown than to suck!
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Looking good! Is that a WWWPPSHHHHHH muffler on the BOV?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

GS guy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 am Looking good! Is that a WWWPPSHHHHHH muffler on the BOV?
That's a breather filter I found that fits the 1 inch hose on the BOV.

These style BOV's are actually a Recirculating valve so in higher vacuum conditions they are open just a little bit. Mine is open in idle and high vacuum cruise so I didn't want unfiltered air to get it.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I got too impatient and used a piece of angle steel to make a temporary bracket to hold the wastegate.

I took it for a test ride and my first run through 3rd gear netted me a max IAT of 83.7 Degrees at 22.8 lbs boost!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

My second run I went all the way through 4th gear till the speedo was pointing to the left of straight down.....Max IAT's were 117 Degrees at 23 lbs. boost.
It was hauling **s!!!!

I didn't dare do a "Mario" launch or activate my launch control or flat shift........ :roll:

Here is a vid....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BQwtjg9ss

It looks like it gets warmer with heat soak but the first run kept the temps down really nicely.
It definitely makes a difference in that you can feel the power down lower and in the lower gears........

I'm pretty Pumped!!!!
panel

Post by panel »

How many degree's do you think it dropped by ?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

In the October air I see 135-147 plus degrees at 22-23 lbs. with the WI on.
The first pass through third gear it held it down to 83.7 degrees so that would be a 61 degree drop......

The third pass was at 117 degrees from say 145 degrees would be a 28 degree drop.
It really doesn't have a lot of airflow so maybe once I install a fan it will maintain the lower temps. that would be the cat's meow!!!

I could otherwise inject some of my water/alcohol onto it for some cooling help but I can already really feel the difference just the 30 degrees makes.