My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
gwhaling

My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

Post by gwhaling »

]I bought this bug with the turbo setup in boxes. It had twin carbs installed and had been sitting for years. I have been driving it all summer with the 1600 that I learned how to rebuild after pulling it and finding out that it was a trashed 1600, rather than a 2180 that had been sitting. Been driving it on one weber 44idf. I have 2000 miles on my first bug motor and its running well. I have the hats and intake plumbing, turbo and adapter pipe to set the turbo using a 1 3/8 cheap empi header. I found the fuel pump they had been using to boost this bug in the boxes of parts they gave me.
I just purchased a 2276 after a test ride. Looking at running a e2000 pump into a c.b. regulator, with larger fuel lines added this winter. Read several threads here and really set on trying my carbs, turbo since I have all this already. I will mock up turbo mount on my engine soon. Pretty sure turbo will sit high enough to return oil to fuel pump block off. My main problem at the moment is trying to run a 2276 with a 13/8 header. I will try to build my header using 11/2 tubing. I have a sandrail header to cut up and play with for free that came with the 2276. Pretty sure the motor has a fk-8 cam. Compression unknown, except it can run on regular gas. Pistons are not forged, I am sure. Plan on limiting boost to 5 lbs at first. 10 max. I will use a ox sensor. I am pretty sure I can get away with running this car with no muffler where I live, with a super trapp thats drilled, gutted. Will have to read more to make my photos of early turbo setup fit on this forum. I am sure the turbo setup that was on this bug was for more show than go!

I have learned a lot by reading threads here. Glen
Last edited by gwhaling on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmike

Re: My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

Post by madmike »

Welcome to the Madness 8) :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

^ What he said. :)
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

received_1663105967067418.jpeg
Thanks for the welcome to this madness. Gonna be fun getting this setup in/tuned. Motor is setup rich for a sandrail , hoping to not do much to carbs to hit 5lbs boost. Here is a photo of bug/turbo long ago. Engine mock up is as it set in photo. I hope to chop up a 11/2 inch header and keep turbo as shown on stand. Oil drain looks to be high enough to return to fuel pump block off plate. Exhaust is my only real issue left.
received_1663105967067418.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

madmike wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 am Welcome to the Madness 8) :lol:
Thanks!!!!
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

petew wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 pm ^ What he said. :)
thanks, madness is fun, I hope!
petew

Post by petew »

I love how you guys get away with no engine lid and bits hanging out all over the shop. Looks like a good setup.

Why do you want to chop up the header? It works why not just use it?
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

petew wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm I love how you guys get away with no engine lid and bits hanging out all over the shop. Looks like a good setup.

Why do you want to chop up the header? It works why not just use it?
Guess lucky where I live, with antique tags also. The header I have is rusted out/ good for mockup, it is a small flange empi header. I have to buy one and the small flange header uses 13/8 tubing. Do not want to buy that size header for my 2276. Afraid to small. Considering buy a empi large flange header which is 11/2. My adapter pipe would have to probably be modified, but I think this is my easiest route to start playing. I am aware of empi quality I like the idea of a stock header, makes it easy to take turbo setup off in need be.
petew

Post by petew »

CB and a few other companies make headers that are better than the Empi stuff, although I gotta say, anything steel won't last without ceramic coating. That's what I did with mine.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I have been using a cheap Empi style header for over 6 years now and it works great. I always say I'm going to build a new header during the winter upgrades but somehow it never happens. I got the header for free and just build a 2 inch up-pipe to mate to the turbo.
I use some Copper Seal on the flanges, the slip clamps and donuts and I have no leakage even at 24 lbs boost.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

[quote=Clonebug post_id=1254580 time=1507604431 user_id=16393]
I have been using a cheap Empi style header for over 6 years now and it works great. I always say I'm going to build a new header during the winter upgrades but somehow it never happens. I got the header for free and just build a 2 inch up-pipe to mate to the turbo.
I use some Copper Seal on the flanges, the slip clamps and donuts and I have no leakage even at 24 lbs boost.

Clonebug, Thats exactly the setup on the exhaust I am after. Just need to make my adapter pipe fit a large flange header.
gwhaling

Post by gwhaling »

Was debating improving my oiling system, noticed tonight the doghouse cooler on the 2276 I bought has a 7plate cooler hanging out of it. I need to seal it in better to the dog house and try running that. Its free. Motor is also full flowed with filter, will need new hoses depending where I mount the filter. Also the stock sump has been removed and its running a screen with a small center plate, like a mini sump. I hope this combo will work for near free for my first turbo setup.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

gwhaling wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm Was debating improving my oiling system, noticed tonight the doghouse cooler on the 2276 I bought has a 7plate cooler hanging out of it. I need to seal it in better to the dog house and try running that. Its free. Motor is also full flowed with filter, will need new hoses depending where I mount the filter. Also the stock sump has been removed and its running a screen with a small center plate, like a mini sump. I hope this combo will work for near free for my first turbo setup.
Is the cooler covering the fan? Sounds like a combo that is designed to murder heads to me...
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

gwhaling wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 pm
Clonebug wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 pm I have been using a cheap Empi style header for over 6 years now and it works great. I always say I'm going to build a new header during the winter upgrades but somehow it never happens. I got the header for free and just build a 2 inch up-pipe to mate to the turbo.
Clonebug, Thats exactly the setup on the exhaust I am after. Just need to make my adapter pipe fit a large flange header.
Mine is a large flange header.
I just used a flange with a 2 inch hole in it and it works just fine.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Hi,

I was looking at your pics from mockup and notice the turbo being pretty low to dump the oil in the fuelpump blockoffplate.

Wouldnt it be better to install a deepsump and return into that?

Everybody always says the flow needs to be as unrestricted as possible!+
Better to be blown than to suck!