My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by madmike »

Up the idle's but like chip said if it's happy,, it's not an issue
I think i've got 60 and a 55 in mine I'll check later for you
you can mix the up :lol: I even use a F11 & a F7 :shock: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right now At idle I need both mixture screws to be 1/2 turn out for fast idle but the A/F meter is reading 28.1 witch means lean so your saying forget what the meter is saying at idle just set the mixture up for when I'm on boost?
Cause if I set the mixture up to get a meter reading of 15 the screws are both 2 turns out and BUT there's loads of black smoke at idle and a poop load when you rev it.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Your meter sounds like it is completely inaccurate. Where in the exhaust is it located. 28.anything with that meter mean full lean, as in no fuel at all. My bet is that either your sensor is junk, or its located too close to the end of the tail pipe.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

It's an innovate clamp witch inserts into the tail pipe and the sensor screws into it. I calibrated it in air first and it read 20.6 I think. I will have another go later this weekend with it. What I think is happing is that at 850rpm idle the fuel is filling out of suspension and I'm getting a very lean reading but if I up the idle to 1100 rpm I can get a reading of 14.7 by adjusting the mixture screws. Now at 850 idle I have to basically flood the engine to get a good air fuel ratio but as soon as you open the throttle there's black smoke
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Too close to the edge of the tail pipe it sounds like. Do yourself a favor, weld a bung into the downpipe, as far from the open end as you can. Also, why do are you targeting 14.7? Does the car have a catalytic converter that needs hot stoich temps to clean garbage out of your exhaust?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cause that's what I was told to aim for at idle and 11.3 when on boost. I'm new to all of this so it's a massive learning curve for

What sort I be aiming for when at idle when at WOT (off boost ) and on boost?
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Probably the low air speed at 850rpm causing some drop out. Then when you blip the throttle the fuel puddles find their way into the engine, causing the black smoke.
To get a cleaner transition from idle, I think you're going to have to settle for a faster idle speed.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey Adam, sorry i didn't get the Jet #'s for u it rained most of the day here, then i forgot :oops: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Dan Dryden
Looks like your right I'm going to have to run a high idle but that's not really an issue

Madmike
That's not a problem mate, I'm in the rain now fixing the bug if I was to wait for the rain to stop on the UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ before working on the bug I will be waiting a long πŸ˜‚
Anyway I've got to fix my header now cause I've come across a small issue and that is when I come on to boost the bugs back end scraps on the road and I've bent one of the exhaust manifold pipes 😑 Never had that problem when it was a N/A engine πŸ˜‚
madmike

Post by madmike »

Here's what I ended up with bare in mind I have a 1915cc and some weird 'turbo' cam ,semi-hemi heads :lol:
70 & 50 idles
F7 with a 160 main and a 190 air
F16 with 170 main & 180 air
quite an abortion :oops: :roll: but seems to work good :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Wow that's a right strange combination 😁
Well I've managed to straighten up the manifold (in the rain 😜) and I've also pulled the 55idles and replaced them with 45 and WOW what a difference that has made the idle is smoother, the throttle response is so much better and there's no more black smoke puffing out the exhaust. I was starting to think that the slow throttle response was just a downside to a draw through set up but now it's as crisp as it was when it was just a twin carb N/A engine

Still working on the main jets now witch at the moment are 160
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all just an update here the 45 idles and 160 mains seem to be doing the trick I just can't believe how rapid this 1600 bug is now. In 1st & 2nd gear she accelerates like a hot 1600 engine but once she's in 3rd gear she line a rocket, much much fast than my 2276cc motor was 😁
There is just one small problem I still need to sort out and that's how to stop the dam manifold coming of the heat exchanger pipes they keep blowing off
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Weld flanges or v-bands on. Watch your boost though. It'll spike once those leaks are taken care of.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Until you get around to welding on vbands, you can actually keep things together another way.

I don't have any pictures handy, but strapping boost or slip in exhaust side connections has been done forever, and it can be as simple as 2 hose clamps and a bit of metal strip on either side of the joint .
...of course Google is letting me down finding a leak and its way past my bedtime.

I need my beauty sleep. Badly.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Piledriver
I've tried google but am not to sure what this slip on side connectors are ?
Once you wake from your beauty sleep and if you have time could you send a link my be in the tropical UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ we call them something else?