My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Buggsy

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by Buggsy »

Dorman 47170 vacuum check valve, Advance Auto Parts usually has these in stock. I think you install it backwards for this application, but not sure. A lot of these check valves have a little porous disc inside that bleeds off trapped vacuum, or in your case, boost. They are five bucks.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

😁 cheers
madmike

Post by madmike »

If I hadn't been over that 'Pond' six times :roll: I'd fly over and Help get this on the road My friend :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Come on over the weather here is great at the moment it's not raining 😁
I should have it started by next week but I still need a innovate LM-2 kit but I'm going to play it safe and start of with the 160 mains witch yes will make it run rich but until I get the wideband kit I want to play it safe. Don't suppose any of you lot have one for sale ?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I'd never buy a second hand Innovate anything. If its for sale, its for a reason...
Speaking of which, i have a used lc-1 or two if anyone is in need of one. I'll let it go cheap...i don't think it landed in the trash after i tore it out of my car and threw it across the garage...

I have been pretty impressed with my LC2, i think its been in the car now since 2014. I think thats the longest I've managed to keep a wideband alive.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Get a PLX.....I had my fun with a LM-1 too......I will sell it cheap too.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
panel

Post by panel »

advinnie.....those little valves come on a lot of European cars, Volvos , Vw's ......wrecking yards are prolly full of them.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all turbo is up and running and sound great but a little loud 😁
I'm on Facebook and instagram so look me up ( adam vinnicombe)
madmike

Post by madmike »

8) 8) 8) 8)
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi got problems, now the turbo is boosting at 3000 rpm but only at 1 psi and by 4800rpm it was only producing 3psi but you can hear that the turbo was well and truly spun up by the amount of noise it was making. So after looking at it I decided to pressrise the actuator just to make sure the waste gate wasn't opening and found that it couldn't even hold 1/2 psi so I'm guessing the actuator is broken and leaking badly?
Anyway what I've now done is disconnect the pressure line to the actuator and at 3000rpm I now have 3psi of boost and 5psi of boost at 4500rpm and 6psi at 4800rpm so first question is, is this ok to do?
Second question is , I take it that the turbo I have chosen is to large considering it's only making 6psi of boost ?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Not good to block off the wastegate(but I've done it too :wink: ) , can u fit an remote gate on your Header?
what's the specs on ur turbo? A/R's?
check for exhaust LEAK'S most of the time that's the cause of low boost
petew

Post by petew »

I had a look at your instagram feed. I'd suggest, like Mike, that it's a boost leak. Unless your turbo is really thrashed the wastegate is probably fine. Also, the standard wastegate spring might be 6psi. Mine is. I've never seen more than 6.6psi with the standard wastegate. Course when the feedline for the gate blew off I got 14.3 :D
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

It's an AiRESEARCH turbo with .36 stamped on the exhaust side can't remember what is stamped on the boost side of it at the moment I think it's a T3?
I've now tried pressurising the actuator to 42psi and it doesn't move you can hear the air hissing straight out of the unit.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Just thought should I have a check valve in the waste gate actuator line on a draw through set up cause I was wondering if the negative pressure acting on the actuator may have broken it?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

petew wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 am I had a look at your instagram feed. I'd suggest, like Mike, that it's a boost leak. Unless your turbo is really thrashed the wastegate is probably fine. Also, the standard wastegate spring might be 6psi. Mine is. I've never seen more than 6.6psi with the standard wastegate. Course when the feedline for the gate blew off I got 14.3 :D
Sheesh! You were lucky, my stupid line blew off on the racetrack and gave me 28psi! Image my surprise when i opened that datalog after the pass :shock: