What would you pay for pre-made Cali Conversion parts?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
qaxa

Re: What would you pay for pre-made Cali Conversion parts?

Post by qaxa »

Lo Cash John wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 am
qaxa wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:56 pm Did this ever get done? At least the tin parts?

I'll be making my own molds for the tin as well but as I'm residing in Europe won't be much of a help for the goes on the other side of the pond.
There was such little response I don't know that it's worth pursuing.
Yeah most likely not the hottest of sales articles :) I'll make molds of the tin once I'll do the tin conversion. Comes with pretty small effort anyways.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

With the cost of a DTM kit or CSP kit, you'd think there'd be more interest in a cheaper alternative.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Lo Cash John wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:50 am With the cost of a DTM kit or CSP kit, you'd think there'd be more interest in a cheaper alternative.
It has been talked about for years, unfortunately the only way to really gauge the market is to make some.
If you end up buying most of it from CSP anyway you might as well get it all.
CSP sells a few $$$ parts in the kit that are useless to most folks or ridiculously overpriced like the "rear tin" bit.
Std T1 rear tin can be adapted in minutes for a whole lot less than $185, and work/fits 10X better.
There are much better ways to do the oil filler/dipstick as well.
CSP kits claim to fame it it all just bolts on so no fab.
You get to pay a lot extra for that.

If you could source a "kit" of just the CSP parts that are actually required and DIY patterns for rest $$$ is not that bad.

I personally just want the head tin, everything else is easy.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
dave t

Post by dave t »

Lo Cash John, did you build your metal head tins for the T-4 conversion?
dave t

Post by dave t »

dave t

Post by dave t »

NextGen

Post by NextGen »

HI Dave,
A bit of experience from the original guy that brought the T-4 Upright Conversion to the common man, ha. When I wrote the manual it did not come out till 1990 ( if I remember ) actually it is in the copywrite on the manual, but I don’t have one here to check, ha!! It took two years and the only info I could get in the 80’s was from HVW, VW TRENDS and go to Times Square in NYC, were I work to an international Book store for magazine. I wrote to them all and they wrote many articles on the first DYI Upright t-4 Conversions. Actually I was in VW Australia several times and worked with Mike Sharpe by Snail Mail. I was told the my designs were the first and that kits like CSP used my design THE CALI STYLE as their blueprint.

So I thought, how can I make a Profit selling this manual -- No internet only magazines -- it cost me $250 a month to advertize with a microscopic ad. How many guys will do this , how many have the skill, the bug and the T-4 engines?????

When the internet came, I did my site, and no more $250 per month. Now I don’t advertize it is self perpetuating on the net, they find me. I have sold thousands of manuals worldwide , in the beginning more than now but 5000 is a good number

OK what will guys pay???? Well, you need Two Sets of T-4 Tin to make one set of cylinder covers and after 30 plus years not many extra tins around. Only rear tin is used to make it. Think EBAY!! Words gets out.

Best Regards.
Joe Cali
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
dave t

Post by dave t »

Ok well I bought the red set a few years ago. 2 sets really then sold 1 set for what I had into the 2 of them. The gen stand and oil dip stick block offs came from the same place. Last weekend I bought the metal pair for 20.00. So I am a cheap a$$ if I could buy the kit for 1/2 the price of new I would buy a kit.
NextGen

Post by NextGen »

So there you go!!! Why not save money, you don't have a race coming up!!!
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

I may just be weird, but I really like the idea of metal tins. That said, i may buy the V2 DTM deluxe kit for it's completeness, mainly because I started my T4 build with nothing. Before I do that, I will have a go at making my own cylinder tins, assuming I can find two sets of tins from a 914.

H2OSB
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

H2OSB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 pm I may just be weird, but I really like the idea of metal tins. That said, i may buy the V2 DTM deluxe kit for it's completeness, mainly because I started my T4 build with nothing. Before I do that, I will have a go at making my own cylinder tins, assuming I can find two sets of tins from a 914.

H2OSB
Is 914 cylinder tin somehow different from a "regular" type 4 engine tin?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

qaxa wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 am
H2OSB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 pm I may just be weird, but I really like the idea of metal tins. That said, i may buy the V2 DTM deluxe kit for it's completeness, mainly because I started my T4 build with nothing. Before I do that, I will have a go at making my own cylinder tins, assuming I can find two sets of tins from a 914.

H2OSB
The spark plug holes are in the right place if you have 2L 914 heads, or relocated plugs.
This is fairly easy to change, so don't let that be a showstopper.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
qaxa

Post by qaxa »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:04 pm
qaxa wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 am

H2OSB
The spark plug holes are in the right place if you have 2L 914 heads, or relocated plugs.
This is fairly easy to change, so don't let that be a showstopper.
Thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering what might have been the reason / difference. This is not really an issue for me as I'm making fiberglass ones for myself. (started making the mold already)
orphan68

Post by orphan68 »

If you're still making them, I am interested.
Hit me up.