68 baja build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
bikesndbugs

Re: 68 baja build

Post by bikesndbugs »

no1clyde wrote:I used a 2000 1.8 1ZZ-FE 125hp fuel injected variable cam timing motor. I used the Cat and both O2 sensors. I did sell the car but the guy I sold it to loves it, its awesome in that buggy. It has a 002 transmission and Kennedy adapter and I did the wiring for the computer. The Toyota has less torque than my EJ22 that is in my Baja but the top end on the 1ZZ-FE revs higher and goes like stink in that tube frame car. In the Baja I like the Subaru but I did shorten my oil pan and now have some pretty good skid plates under it and the transmission. I would run either though but I think the Subaru is the best and one reason the EJ22's are every where and cheap. My car was under water this year in a flood that messed up my first EJ22 and I bought a Legacy for $350 and used it's motor and computer to fix my car, can't beat that.

Ed
I'm a fan of high revving motors. With the 4a I can get a carbed version for now but always have the option of getting a newer 4a that has efi as they were available with both. I'm rather scared of the wiring that's why im leaning more carb as then its easy to swap.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ed how hard was the computer and wiring? Finding a carbed one might not be easy so that's a slight issue

I just was pushing my brakes and pop. I think I blew the passenger wheel cylinder.
While I'm at it I want to swap the fronts to rear but can I run 4 19mm cylinders on a stock master? Or should I put 17mms up front

Travis
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Travis again I will recommend a 90-94 Subaru Legacy because you get the whole car and you have everything you need. They are OBD1 (easier) and Tim S has done a good job with the wiring too and if you follow his thread on it you will have a good running Subaru powered VW.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 9&t=136053

Around here you can buy driving Subaru Legacy's for around $500 any day and also you can later update your car with a Subaru 5 speed too if you want.

Good luck with what ever way you go.

Ed
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

problem is buying a donor car isnt really an option due to lack of room. also those older subarus arent easy to find around here.
the pick a part doesnt have one and only one shows on cl
Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

I swear this car hates me was sitting in the car pushing rhe breaks and heard a pop. I think the passenger front cylinder popped ill have to look into it.

Does anyone know if I can run 19mm cylinders on all 4 with a stock 68 master?

The pick a part is 40 lercent off this weekend.
Hopefully I have time to swing by and see if I can find a carbed 4a. I dont have the time to deal with computer and wiring right now. The 4a should be. Alot easier to swap. If I cant find one ill just do rings right now.

Current to do list assuming about 2 months till desert season
1. Motor
2. brakes
3. Front camber
4. Reindendex rear
5. Clutch
6. Nitrogen charge and possible thinner oil or revaulve for front shocks (bit stiff now)
7. Maybe rear shocks stock size
8. Harnesses
9. Mounts for tools and other things in car.

Wow that's alot

Travis
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

What do you mean "desert season" Travis? That's just LOW desert season. 8)

What's wrong with the front camber? I fit has camber issues in a link pin front end, it must have bent arms or spindles.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

dustymojave wrote:What do you mean "desert season" Travis? That's just LOW desert season. 8)

What's wrong with the front camber? I fit has camber issues in a link pin front end, it must have bent arms or spindles.
Its just too hot right now was like 107 yesterday and quite humid too.
Random thunderstorm and my window was open oops.

Front camber i set the arms with the correct amount of shims and still end up with alot of camber. Spindle might be bent. Because the arms read with spacing that's on the chart.

I was gonna just wing it and take a guess on what should straighten the wheel out. I do have those wright combos I can get but then I have to mess with bearings and backing plates and tie rods. So sorta a lot.

Travis
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Started the soft line swap today. Got everying hooked up and started bleeding the brakes. Untill I saw fluid coming out of the connection to the wheel cyl.
Tried to tighten spins freely.
Loosen and it spins freely.
Tried to put some outward presser to get it out with no luck.

This car is the hardest thing to work on. Getting really discouraged. Almost to the point where I'm.thinking of selling it.

I did all that work on the cage. To have issues with the clutch and motor.

Then my brake line problem
I simply try to fix it but no that causes more problems.
I've never been able to simply fix this car. Something else always goes wrong.

I really don't understand. I can fix other things without issue but this car just isn't having it. Always decides to break on me. I try to upgrade something and that throws me into a spiral of issues.

Travis
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's usually referred to as "used car syndrome".

Its typical cause was duct tape/bubble gum/bale wire fixes by a previous owner, and fixing anything opens Pandoras box of issues, as bad fix a relied on bad fix b etc.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Its just really gets me unmotivated.
When I cant work on it without opening a whole nother can o worms it males it hard to even get to working on it.

Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, just about everybody who plays with, other then brand new cars, (and even then there can be problems) used cars/toys goes through the "used car syndrome" many times more than once; the thing is holding on to your sanity as you go through it.

If you send the problem off to have someone else fix things then the problem itself may go away but the problem of paying for the fix comes forward :roll: . Solving problems like this builds character which is important for later life: things like frustrations like your parents had after getting married and having a family :twisted: . Remember I told you when you graduated that life's lessons were just starting.

Learning to control yourself and start reasoning fixes is as natural as it is getting frustrated.

Not trying to talk down to you but to cool you off. Now get with it and fix the problems :wink: .

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 am Travis, just about everybody who plays with, other then brand new cars, (and even then there can be problems) used cars/toys goes through the "used car syndrome" many times more than once; the thing is holding on to your sanity as you go through it.

If you send the problem off to have someone else fix things then the problem itself may go away but the problem of paying for the fix comes forward :roll: . Solving problems like this builds character which is important for later life: things like frustrations like your parents had after getting married and having a family :twisted: . Remember I told you when you graduated that life's lessons were just starting.

Learning to control yourself and start reasoning fixes is as natural as it is getting frustrated.

Not trying to talk down to you but to cool you off. Now get with it and fix the problems :wink: .

Lee
i only have these issues with this car though. my truck, and basically anythign else i work with doesnt do it.
Travis
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, you've only had the truck a short time... give it a chance :lol: (a well meaning chuckle) .

I have had a lot of cars over the years... and I mean a lot. If I remember correctly, I had a lot of Chevs before 1967... if I remember correctly, before switching to other brands. I can't even remember most of them now. Only a few cars still stand out in my mind and most of them were either rare ones I had owned or were so good and gave me no trouble that I only got shed of them to meet other needs at the time. I'd still like to have a couple of them even now.

Frustration is part of dealing cars in the first place: man vs. inanimate objects (do a search on man vs. inanimate objects... it'll crack you up).

Lee
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Its just too hot right now was like 107 yesterday and quite humid too.
Random thunderstorm and my window was open oops.
Same temp here. Thunderstorms are cool. When it starts raining the air temp drops 10-20°. I like that + the aroma of wet creosote.

A bit of rain is good for traction and keeps the dust down offroad. Warren and I went out into the desert this afternoon for a while in his Ranger. Season ON! 8)

Patience is a virtue grasshopper.

("grasshopper" comes from an early 1970s TV show - "Kung Fu". The elder master of martial arts refers to his student as "grasshopper".)

Your wheels cylinder needs to be replaced. The whole issue here is not that the Baja Bug is bad. It's that often the replacement parts are made in China at lower quality than the original equipment. So the cheezy cast iron of the wheel cylinder stripped easily when you threaded the new hose into it. Grab the steel end of the hose with pliers and pull as you turn the hose.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Yeah gotta pick up a front wheel cylinder I might grab 3 to do the rears to so I'm 19mm all around. It s a dual circut master so is assume if it works in front it will work rear too.

The weather was nice today mid 80s raining on and off nice for it too cool a bit. I tried the poker tactic but ill try again Probobly Tuesday

Travis