Oil

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Oil

Post by buguy »

I need to do an oil change on this thing and wanted to get opinions. It's really really hot here and with the turbo being so hot I didn't know if I should be running something besides 10-40. I don't have an oil pressure gauge so I don't know where I am with that but I assume I might be better off with a heavier oil due to the extreme heat here. I do run without a deck lid of that makes any difference. I will be putting the rest of the tins on this week too.
rs58rag

Re: Oil

Post by rs58rag »

Rotella t6 5w40 full synthetic works for me and better than conventional oil for turbo engines.
petew

Post by petew »

Ummm, my engine builder has me using 20w60 with plenty of zinc in for older style motors.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/b ... 60-mineral

It seems to work well and leaks nicely too. :roll:

P.s. how hot is "hot" where you are?
Last edited by petew on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Just be care full heavy will make it by pass the stock dog house cooler,,around 40 psi so..
you really need a pressure gauge my friend :wink:
heck i run all Autometer
Speedo
Boost
oil pressure
oil temp
A/F gauge
volt gauge and a monster tach and soon a fuel gauge :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

What is this "fuel gauge" of which you speak? :shock:

Actually, I seem to have issues with the motor being too cold rather than too hot. Ah, the joys of external coolers. 8)
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well it's a real feel of 110 today. But dips down into the 90's at night.
I was thinking maybe 20-50. And I hate to muck up my interior with a bunch of gauges!
petew

Post by petew »

Ok, so that's hot. 20W50 is about right for that. Re a gauge, just adding one on the motor is probably ok. Then you can check it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Good idea. I could just plumb it inline with the turbo oil feed.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I ended up getting Valvoline VR1 20-50. They had the fuel pump and a brake hardware kit I needed too! She should be road ready in a couple days. Too bad I have to take all my turbo poop back off to see what's up with the fuel pump. Can't get to the back nut with it all on.
madmike

Post by madmike »

fuel gauge: that thing that's always on 'E' :lol:
I have a 6 gal.Moon tank under the fiberglass flip front end,, and want more capacity, so i picked this up off the Slamba cpl.weeks ago for $40.
16 gal Fuel cell with 'Fuel sender' = gas gauge instead of a 'wooden stick' :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rs58rag

Post by rs58rag »

16 gallon fuel tank! That's a lot of fuel ...nice score. Gauges are a must on these vehicles once you alter them for performance
madmike

Post by madmike »

Thanks, I know it' holds a lot, but now I don't need to fill it all the way up :lol: plus the fact it's kind of a PITA to flip the front end all the time just to check fuel level :roll: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I bet fuel goes pretty quick in that little tank you were using.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yea, that 6 gal. Moon tank goes down too quickly :lol: depending on my right foot,,,, leaving soon to a Car Show north of me about 40 miles and it's only in the low 60*'s , bet my intake is gonna freeze :roll: :lol: in the next few months I'll be buying a RLR 4 barrel intake (has oil ports) 8) 8)
TJ530

Post by TJ530 »

Mobil 1 Recommended their 0W-40 European Style Oil for Aircooled Flat Tappet Engines. It has enough zinc and phosphorus to be used with flat tappet engines.