engine parts order placed

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
neilb

Re: engine parts order placed

Post by neilb »

i have good news to share :)

i have now a full 2258cc engine kit from drd racing heads, crank, cam, pistons, rods, followers, manton pushrods (cut to length), drd's L6 heads, double valve springs, 44x38 valves, can't wait to get this thing running lol, only the 911 adjusters to get now. its being mocked up with the barrels on the block and heads on so i can do the sheet metal in the engine bay
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Do a dry mock up (no sealant) first to make sure you don't need to add deck spacers etc.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
neilb

Post by neilb »

i was going to just bolt the barrels on with the heads but no internals, just to do the engine bay sheet metal. on a side note what kind of CR sould i be aiming for 10:1 or close too?
wreck

Post by wreck »

I'd get the deck height (.050 would be optimal), barrels shimmed so you know how wide the engine will be before you start making any tin ware . DRD would be the ones to recommend the right CR . depends a lot on the cam specs . the longer the duration the higher the CR .
No matter where you go , there you are !
neilb

Post by neilb »

thanks for the reply, confirmed by darren at drd, deck height .050 and CR at 9:1 anymore than that he says results in more heat and not much more power.
Bsherrard

Post by Bsherrard »

Neil,
It looks like you ordered the parts from DRD in September. Did it take until June to get them? :shock:
I am considering one of their kits.
Brook
Brook Sherrard
1976 Porsche 912E
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

neilb wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:41 am thanks for the reply, confirmed by darren at drd, deck height .050 and CR at 9:1 anymore than that he says results in more heat and not much more power.
Assuming Darren knew what cam you were running, that statement may work in your specific case.
It's total bullshit without context. or if meant as a general rule.

CR depends greatly on the cam, 9:1 with a 86b or C on 112 LC 9:1 would result in an ~untunable low compression POS.

9:1 is fine for a Web 86, depending on the chamber, the stock late WBX cam had essentially same timings as Web 86, euro version had 10.5:1 CR.
9:1 would probably be too much with a Web 73, or require premium fuel.

Google for "dynamic compression ratio" or try the fine calculator
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?ma ... 525fa02016
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
neilb

Post by neilb »

Bsherrard wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:33 pm Neil,
It looks like you ordered the parts from DRD in September. Did it take until June to get them? :shock:
I am considering one of their kits.
Brook

i did originally order my engine kit in sept, pm me
neilb

Post by neilb »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 am
neilb wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:41 am thanks for the reply, confirmed by darren at drd, deck height .050 and CR at 9:1 anymore than that he says results in more heat and not much more power.
Assuming Darren knew what cam you were running, that statement may work in your specific case.
It's total bullshit without context. or if meant as a general rule.

CR depends greatly on the cam, 9:1 with a 86b or C on 112 LC 9:1 would result in an ~untunable low compression POS.

9:1 is fine for a Web 86, depending on the chamber, the stock late WBX cam had essentially same timings as Web 86, euro version had 10.5:1 CR.
9:1 would probably be too much with a Web 73, or require premium fuel.

Google for "dynamic compression ratio" or try the fine calculator
https://www.uempistons.com/index.php?ma ... 525fa02016
the cam is one of darren's cams not a web, i do have the specs with it just not in reach lol